Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Long time lurker, first time posting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #21
I joined the Band!

Default Re: Long time lurker, first time posting

i like the flares added.. i want a clod lid to look like my truck and wondered about adding flares as my truck has those.. hmmmm
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I have a set of those laying around and wondered how theyd look on that body.
Nvghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

So, I'm out of the Creeper game. Sold it to a very appreciative teenager from Reno.

On the brighter side the SCX10 is still in the stable and saw this on the way home.

Ahh inspiration!

'79 swb sitting n 35's

Last edited by Nvghostrider; 06-29-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

ya buddy bought your venom off you!!! i crawl with him and he's brother all the time so now we got 1 more rig to our little pack we got going
and that truck looks super familiar
cuz it's the same as mine!!! 79 on 35's
ZackMicF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Love your 1:1, seen it a few times on Reno 4x4. $1500 for the one I saw but yours is a damn sight prettier. Awesome that you knew the guy that bought the Creeper. Didn't want to get rid of it but he seemed very happy testing it on truck stop rocks.
More mutilated parts. This time the Boggers got the bad end of the trimmers. They were good to begin with but now they are on the edge of great. Next is some 3000-4000 mah 2s lipos. The ones I have weigh a hair more than the NiMh packs I'm using. 5000 mah is a crap ton of run time but it's still too much weight. Weighted the rears 3 ounces and it handles awesome except for that top end pull on the rear. Can't relocate to the front until, and only if, I do CMS. Found a few of the 70's Ford bodies around and it seems to be the way I want to go. Never ending projects...
Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Running Gens Ace 5000 mah 2s 50c battery in the truck. It actually weighs a little less than the NiHm packs and already I'm loving the truck more. Changing to non Deans plugs on all my stuff and ordered some 2500mah 25c 2s batts to lose a little more weight. Also have a Novak 35 turn on the way. Experimenting with the SC truck and had the motor/esc dismounted yesterday. Hard not to throw it into the Axial. Still a bit confounded. Without accurate enough control on the esc I simply put it on the lowest throttle response (sc1200-BL with 3500kv 550) and could hardly keep from wheel stands and backflips with the slightest throttle. After putting the brushed system back in I was able to grease and pack the rear axle after inspection for damage. Once all the hardened gears and such are installed the hunt will definitely be on for an appropriate utilitarian brushless setup.

Last edited by Nvghostrider; 07-04-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

30 minute electronics tray. Bought a $10 sheet of aluminum today and figured on putting it to use this afternoon. Once I decide on a new body it will go to towards fender wells and filling the ga between chassis and body.

Last edited by Nvghostrider; 07-05-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

20 minute battery tray. Cleaned the blue mockup sharpie and layer down Velcro. Just wish batts would get here from Hobby Partz already.

Debating on a new body. Heading up to Reno tomorrow and was fortunate enough to grab a new bumper and set of sliders this evening in the classifieds. Considering separating the current cab and bed and adding the Honcho bed. Hmmm...
Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

The evening was nice and had to condition new lipos so up the hill I went. Running Gens Ace 2500mah 25c 2s, added and trimmed RC4WD bumper and sliders found here in the For Sale section, and cut some aluminum sheet and screwed it to the body posts for better fastening of the body. Next I'm thinking new drivelines and possibly a CMS setup with panhard bar. Still undecided on new body but leaning toward 79 F150 with Dingo fender flares.

Last edited by Nvghostrider; 07-20-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

So here is what we have after 3 trips to the hill. I'm thinking about moving it all to the back yard (this is the side by our new garden) and start the dirt hill for my son (and me of course). Better lighting, not near his window when he's sleeping, and away from the distracting A/C unit. We love a stone grill in one of the local parks and there may be something in the works for the next few years. Not really looking to build a park with so many awesome crawling/trailing places adjacent to our house but having a mild practice area that is lightly decorative is the goal.

This is the configuration I'll run until a new rig comes along or a brushless system presents itself. Hoping to get a new motor in the next month. This one works but is definitely not the Pro Wound Novak 45 turn that was in it. Possibly Holmes for the next one. Aside from that we are adding a CKRC supplied CMS this weekend after we get to SLC for "vacation". Need to find an appropriate shock set. The stock set runs good but I've noticed it's a bit too springy on flat ground and (obviously) doesn't retain shock fluid. The ride height surprisingly doesn't contribute much to rollovers and has a well desired amount of clearance. MIP will more than likely be getting the lunch money for some new drivelines and a Proline body/Honcho bed mashup is where I'm leaning unless I find the right 70s Ford body. I still regret having to cut out the rocker panels but the constant hammering would have led to further body damage. Now that the sliders are on I think the new body will fare much better. Forward lighting and maybe some rock lights are in order soon. Being so gorram hot in the daytime it is a lot better to be outside after dark.

Last edited by Nvghostrider; 07-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

I'm still thinking this is still the best $20 I've spent on my favoritest little truck. I'm thinking early morning walk to the hill for a long overdue vid.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Finally got out yesterday and shot some footage after all these changes. Other than the beaten lid and the "speed" gears I'm pretty happy. Hoping to hit up Holmes for a much better motor than the Novak basher that's in it now. Wheel speed is good but stalls and diminished drag brake grab really worked against the truck and made for a little fight. Also, the first three minutes was actually the last bit shot. The 2500mah 2s Gens Ace lipo was hooked up for an hour and did all the climbing filmed along with some runs on a sandy hill ending at 7.44 volts. I could smell the motor and walked it back to the truck. Temp gun read 205-215 degrees Fahrenheit on the motor. Still ran fine but with no real gains with speed gearing it's pretty much getting stock gears reinstalled. All that said, not a terrible little run. Just hoping to afford some better components soon.
YouTube - Axial SCX10 Aug 25 2012
Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

The Lurker is undergoing some changes. The axles and Boggers are under the Wraith since it looked and drove so much better on 1.9s.

With the Wraith.

Last edited by Nvghostrider; 10-27-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Without makeshift lift kit, bumper stuck on. Tires clear and looks much better.

Last edited by Nvghostrider; 10-30-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Kinda up in the air with the current setup. The Novak cheapie definitely has to go, the bed is heavy and needs front side counter balance, and A shock change may be in order. Other than those things I really like this rig. The wheel base seems right, 2s pushes scale speed and capability to believeable terms, and it has enough grip to pop over trail obstacles with relative ease. Sadly I may have to lose the metal bed for the Honcho bed but some trimming may give it the appearance I'm looking for. All in all I still love this rig for what it is and hope to improve it to the edge of scale capability.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Honcho looks good,how much does that bed weight? I've been thinking about picking one up
execelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Like the new axles!
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Had to go back to axial axles, too much lack of steering in CMS setup. Might go back to level 3 CMS with panhard. As for the bed, I'll have to look it up. Without a weighty scale body and accessories it has a bad rear weight offset.
Add: Couldn't find a weight on the bed. With the spare it is definitely weightier. Might handle better with wider tires but I love the way the Lox look on this rig.

Last edited by Nvghostrider; 11-09-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Definitely improved. Went to the switcharoo Castle SV2/Integy 45 turn setup, stock shocks, and Honcho bed. The Rock Lox worked a ton better and the truck did most of what I asked of it. 2s worked great but next run I'm trying 3s though, after watching vid from the runs it might not be needed.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YAxuWS6AEc8
Flip ate batteries and got this final bit on my Droid.

Last edited by Nvghostrider; 11-13-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Combined vid from the last post.
SCX10 and 1.9 Wraith Nov 12, 2012 - YouTube

Long time lurker, first time posting - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New poster, long time lurker Giznad Newbie General 4 09-29-2010 06:26 PM
FJ "Bushwacker" Long time builder, first time poster adrenalinerc 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 07-20-2009 06:31 PM
Long time reader, First time poster overclokedguru General Crawlers 5 09-21-2006 11:25 PM
Long time reader, first time poster monkey boy General Crawlers 9 01-08-2006 06:56 PM
First time posting scout21972 General Crawlers 7 01-02-2006 09:20 PM