Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Where do you guys run your trucks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #1

Default Where do you guys run your trucks?

Just curious where you guys run your trucks. My parents have an acreage so when I visit them occasionally I bring my truck out and drive around a bit, however im finding driving in the same spot gets boring after a while. Camping would be fun, although how often does one go camping a year. I hear of guys running their truck every day...but where???
trivium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #2

Default Re: Where do you guys run your trucks?

I played two times a week after work and once a month at the local track club. before i play crawling but now fun with adventure
megapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You need to look thru your local section and I'm sure you will find some local spots you can crawl at. Back in the old days we use google earth to find rock fields or canyons. Or start collecting rocks and build your own trails. Good luck
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Mostly in my backyard now. I brought in a yard and a half of 5" + river rock and made a small course. I've left gaps between some of the larger rocks which sets up traps that the trucks can fall into if you take, or are forced to take the wrong approach through the gates. Not boring at all, even every other day or so. Change the gates and you have a new set of problems.

Last edited by raceeng18; 06-28-2013 at 05:31 AM.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #5

A small park minutes from the house has a creek that runs behind, I just walk the creek bed. Lived in Dallas all my life and never realized there was so much hidden in these tiny creeks. The pic below is about a 100 yards away from a 6 lane road. Now I do get funny looks sometimes when people see me walking out.
Liv4rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I just pull up a Google Map and search for locations that may be of interest and go explore. I have a fair few places now. I even keep a list of them with scores out of ten for trail and crawling.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I go to a friends house he has a 1200sqf rock course and it's ever evolving.
Bogncrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

you could probably go on craigslist and find some free rocks and dirt if your backyard is big enough
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I hit the local creek beds, when they are drier, when the creeks/rivers are up I hit the hiking trails that go into the mountains.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I live in WA state so beaches and forests everywhere. I have a park 5 mins away that is right on the waterfront. I start out on a full blown rock trail at the kids park which I dubbed the "RC Rubicon Trail" and then go into the forest and down on the beach. Takes me about 2 hours to complete. We have a ton of locations to try so I plan on adventuring out.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

i used to drive the same spots for weeks when i first started so i could learn throttle control and learn how to choose my lines better but when i got bored of the same 2 spots i decided i was going to branch out and find new spots so i grabbed my skateboard (i dont have a license or a car) threw my spare parts that might break, extra batts, and radio in my backpack and then used a bungee cord to strap it to the bag and skated around looking for new spots and ended up finding 3 of the best spots ive ever driven about minutes away from my house
jeepscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #12

Hmm well I do live in Alberta, Canada which is mostly parries though as I don't live near the rocky mountains. Funny because there is so much empty space...I just live in the city so im basically going to have to drive for anywhere fun. I suppose I can find a construction site somewhere in the evenings.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #13
RCC Addict

i mostly crawl at my house (got 45,000lbs of rock in the field) and i go to a friends house that has 15,000lbs of rock in his garage so i can crawl all year round in just those 2 spots... then a friend is building a course at his house in town and there is a beach on the other side of town with some trails..

i race lawnmowers so we usually camp out a lot during the year so i'll usually bring a crawler or one of my go fast rigs camping...

where abouts in alberta do you live? my sister used to live in carstairs and my uncle lives in mirror (30mins from stettler), but yeah i know what you mean when you say its the prairies.... nothing but fields
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
i mostly crawl at my house (got 45,000lbs of rock in the field) and i go to a friends house that has 15,000lbs of rock in his garage so i can crawl all year round in just those 2 spots... then a friend is building a course at his house in town and there is a beach on the other side of town with some trails..

i race lawnmowers so we usually camp out a lot during the year so i'll usually bring a crawler or one of my go fast rigs camping...

where abouts in alberta do you live? my sister used to live in carstairs and my uncle lives in mirror (30mins from stettler), but yeah i know what you mean when you say its the prairies.... nothing but fields
In edmonton, so its too far to drive to the rockies, unless you make a camping trip out of it. For sure there would be nice spots in rural forested areas, but it would be a 20 min drive at least. Seems a bit far for just crawling. Construction sites i guess, not nearly as fun as a forest...its just been raining every day and i prefer not to rust my rig with mud and as you know grassy areas are not very good either as the rig just gets hung up on grass.

Last edited by trivium; 06-25-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
Scale Detail Engineering

Streams and creeks that flow through woods are often shallow enough and have rocks in them or on the banks to play on.

Also, look for ravines, they often offer fun hill climbs and water.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

powerlines
rock quarry's
creeks
orvpark
sandbar's
hiking trails

wherever there's fun to be had!!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
powerlines
rock quarry's
creeks
orvpark
sandbar's
hiking trails

wherever there's fun to be had!!
hmm well i know of a good quading trail. Just need a couple buddies to get into RC, lol or Is it fun driving around on the trail yourself?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivium View Post
Is it fun driving around on the trail yourself?
of course it is..
it's usually undiscovered territory with the rccrawler.

bring a camera take video/pics of your expedition.

I take my scx/wraith with me everywhere...
out for a quick test run or just checking out new spots
or scouting for an upcoming event.

its only as fun/boring as you wanna make it.

but yes..more folks,more fun!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Almost entirely hiking trails these days. Most on or near mountains.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #20

Well a small 10 minute hiking trail that I found, a minute in I get eating alive by mesquites...bah had to turn back. Need to bring bug spray and long sleeves. I can see how it can be a lot of fun though...

Where do you guys run your trucks? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N.U.R.C.C. Trail Run, 4 trucks 801RYAN Scale Videos! 4 08-01-2011 03:07 PM
3 Guys. 6 Trucks. Vasquez Rocks pantablo Scale Videos! 1 09-09-2009 08:20 AM
Are these the trucks you guys are starting with? andrewhendler General Crawlers 5 02-01-2008 10:50 AM
how do you guys mud your trucks without destroying your electronics and motors? shephead Non Crawler RC's 6 01-28-2008 12:38 AM