Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: need some help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Angry need some help!!

Ok so I've burnt up 2 motors in the last couple weeks. The first motor was a brand new 27t axial that ran great for about 5 packs and the 2nd was a venom 55t that was almost brand new. I'm running a mmp on 2s and mainly 3s stock spur ( can't remember how many teeth) with a 18t pinion gear mesh is good no binding in the drivetrain I am running 2.2 tsl swampers. I'm not good with electronics of gearing what would be a motor to go with I'm thinking some where in the 35t range I do some lite crawling and trail running
tmaxxdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I had the same problem, burned up a brood motor!! My esc was setup good, mesh was fine and obviously wasn't a cheap motor.
With the help of a couple guys, we figured out gearing was to high, dropped down on the pinion and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Grichardson152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: need some help!!

Are you hard on the truck? What are your driving habits??? The possibility of driving it hard combined with the 2.2 TSL's may be your problem... I've run mostly 87/20 gearing on 3s in my scx-10's for over a year now with no problems and motors run fairly cool and are holding up just fine. They are on 1.9" tires though and I'm pretty easy going only really getting on the throttle when necessary.

Last edited by Jus; 06-27-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'm not to hard on it I mostly go down to the river near me and drive on the banks when the waters low. I don't drive thru any water or mud if I do its little puddles no deeper than the axles and when I do its super slow I get on it a little when I'm trail running but in short burst
Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thought I destroyed my 45t Novak a few weeks ago. It seized as I was leaving our trail spot up the hill after attempting to conquer a sandy/gravel hill. Turns out I just filled the motor with 1/4 teaspoon or so of sand. After dismounting the motor I just dipped it in a (disposable) bowl of water and swished it around. Soon enough the crap loosened up and I applied some throttle to move the water internally. After leaving it to dry for a bit I just gave it a quick spray with silicon lube and remounted. Working good so far .
Nvghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The motor aren't seized up they spin but with a lot of resistance and they let out big clouds of smoke they still work just no power what so ever. I have a trade in the works for a Holmes hobbies 27t so hopefully that works out and I shouldn't have to worry anymore
Old 06-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Driving on 2.2s without gearing down is bad news. Those tires change your rollout significantly. gear down or you will keep blowing motors.
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote