Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Mike Honcho Build -> SuperDuty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #1

Default Mike Honcho Build -> SuperDuty

Some of this is already on other forums..sorry if you seen it..I'm actually looking for what I could improve upon. Gone a bit OCD.

For example ( near the bottom ) I think I should have put the turn signals in the bottom of the light buckets?

This is my first scaler, first time at any of this really. Painted a few bodes thats about it.

It started like this out of the box

Waterproofed everything with plasti dip

I'm trying to make it look kinda like my 1:1 2006 F250 I used to own

Bought a 2008 clear body. ( Pro-line I think its for the e-revo 2.5 its almost a perfect fit on the honcho wheelbase )
and some Replica mickey thompson baja claw tires

Masked and painted it.

Found some small mirrors (RC4wd) and had to make my own glass ( plastic cut and painted chrome/silver and glued in )

Tinted the windows and lifted it and trimmed so tires wouldn't rub

Made my own light buckets with "friendly plastic" and a steel reserve beer can

Finished Light buckets.

Found a sick custom bumper ( RC ROCK Armor )with slot for working winch ( I don't have the winch yet )

I had to fab up a spacer with some 1/4 x 1/4 hollow alum bar and it sucks but a friend is making me a new one with his 3D plastic printer. Could not find any solid alum bar in town in that size.

Light test..( the turn signals shouldn't be on they are supposed to go on when you turn.. bad board waiting on replacement )

Only a few more things to do before i'm done..waiting on replacement light kit, and waiting on some aluminum tubing to make my own suspension links.

Last edited by Mike Honcho; 06-27-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Mike Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #2

Default Re: Mike Honcho Build -> SuperDuty

Looking sweet!
DBARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I do agree on the turn signal location, should be on bottom but still I have to give you props for a nice paint job, and for drinking Steel Reserve!

I would be interested on a more detailed write up of those light buckets too, nice work.
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramination View Post
I do agree on the turn signal location, should be on bottom but still I have to give you props for a nice paint job, and for drinking Steel Reserve!

I would be interested on a more detailed write up of those light buckets too, nice work.
Thanks lol... Yea might re-do the light buckets they are not that hard to make now that I got it mostly figured out. Was having a nightmare of a time before I tried friendly plastic...with the weird shapes inside the body.

For Light buckets. I used this stuff called "Friendly Plastic" it comes in strips, when you heat it up it becomes soft and moldable. I needed a way to mold a custom frame with a perfect fit inside the body. Then I just hot glue'd little peices of cut up beer can to the border. The friendly plastic is stupid expensive like $1 per strip and I couldn't find it anywhere but amazon and got a jar of 40!..I only used 2-3 strips.

First I stuck masking tape on the outside of the body and traced the light border. Transfered the tape to a cerial box cardboard cut it out.

I used a hairdryer to heat up the plastic. ( You can also put it in a water bath at 160 degrees )

Stuck two strips of friendly plastic together so I had room to cut my pattern out... heated up lightly and my exacto cut through it like butter..the finished off with lexan scissors.

Heated up with hairdryer..put masking tape inside the body otherwise the friendly plastic got so sticky and was starting to rip the paint up when I tried to remove it. Molded it. Let it cool and stuck strips of cut up beer can with hot glue

Sprayed with pactra silver on the back..because i was sloppy and could see light through some hot glue areas.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info on the plastic, could definitely come in handy. So if I am seeing this right, the lexan body in the headlight area is acting as the lens or glass part of the headlight, right?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #6

Yea I masked the lights out before painting. leaving them clear.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Perfect, looks good man.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

only use for steel reserve, nasty lol Like the paint job and the lights.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

how do you like the baja claws??? are they the 1.9s that are 4.75 in tall??
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
I'm HUGE in Japan!

Well Mr. Honcho, For your first time messing with a scaler your pretty awesome! A+ man!
ScaleDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Really liking this build. Exactly the body i was looking to build a LWB scaler out of. What is your wheel base and how much lift did you add?
Nvghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

You know, I was thinking about this build on my way home last night (because I saw an '08-'10 super duty) and I retract my statement about thinking the turn signals being below the headlights. I know you are trying to make it look like your '06, but the difference in grill and whatnot...I'd just make a replica of the '08. I'll admit though, not being a Ford guy (although I do like the super duty) I had never noticed the flip in headlight/turn signal until yesterday. haha
Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcivic View Post
how do you like the baja claws??? are they the 1.9s that are 4.75 in tall??
Yea they are the 4.75" 1.9's... on the side of them i think they say 47x17x12 lol I guess thats what they would be scaled up 1:1 ? Maybe its 37...I forgot right now.

I like them, they don't have near the traction of the stock tires..they are a lot stiffer, honestly havn't had a whole lot of time to drive with them yet my truck is still in surgery.

Last edited by Mike Honcho; 06-29-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvghostrider View Post
Really liking this build. Exactly the body i was looking to build a LWB scaler out of. What is your wheel base and how much lift did you add?
Wheelbase is totally stock honcho, body lines up just about perfect. This is the body.. Product ID : 3247-00
Pro-Line 2008 Ford F-250 Body 3247 for Monster Truck

Lift is maybe 1/2" its the Level 3 lift kit and I have it in the second from the lowest lift setting.

I also had to modify my body mounts on front to get a little higher ( not a lot higher )

So I finished wiring up all the lights..started buttoning it up and noticed my stock headlights quit working...beat my head aganist the wall for awhile trying to figure it out finally cut the wires and soldered new wiring on...now they work.

Also in the middle of converting the stock plastic links to Black aluminum ones from RC4wd...I just bought a bunch of their 106mm links so I have had to cut/drill/tap some of them. I need to make two more tonight and the truck should be done. My headlight buckets/hot glue got a little crazy when I glued them to the body so now my tires slightly rub on some of the glue when fully stuffed and turned.. its not bad might leave it or take my exacto and trim some of the glue.

Oh another thing... the Hobbypartz/Ebay led light kit...not really liking it. I want the headlights always on and the taillights always on... I Couldnt find a combination of plugging them in that can do that.. so as it is now, my Headlighs are always on the taillights are always on and when you go forward the taillights flash.. When you go backwards the taillights turn off and white backup lights go on.... Its fine for now but I may upgrade to the axial kit eventually so I can have it doing what I want. The hobbypartz kit is more for flashy fastnfurious cars.

Last edited by Mike Honcho; 06-29-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #15

PS...Suprised no one has mentioned this but this is where my screen name came from lol.

Talladega Nights - Cal aka Mike Honcho - YouTube
Old 06-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
PS...Suprised no one has mentioned this but this is where my screen name came from lol.

Talladega Nights - Cal aka Mike Honcho - YouTube
LOL and lets us know how the tires work out... great build also
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #17

Thats awesome dude, love all the custom fab'in.
Rapko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #18

Well I think i'm done for now. Other than cleaning up some wiring, and figuring out why my rear axle is hopping like crazy.. I think i lined them up wrong when I put them back on...at least I hope thats all it is.

Finished the lights.

Finished the 4 link conversion and all new anno'd black links.

Turn signals! lol

Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

For the rear hopping, is it only happening under hard acceleration? Hill climb? Forward and reverse?

I'd check to make sure all the bolts holding the links in place are tight first, then check to make sure the rear driveshaft isn't binding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #20

I fixed the rear.. when you put the driveshafts together you have to make sure the u-joint pins line up on each end of the shaft...there is little marks on the driveshaft halves.. I had it on off axis for some reason that causes a horrible occilation. Its fixed and running great! quick video soon.

Mike Honcho Build -> SuperDuty - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mike Honcho jason Axial SCX-10 130 02-22-2013 07:31 PM
superduty T1E superduty00 Axial XR10 38 07-08-2012 08:45 PM
Mike Honcho Redux jason 2.2 Scale Rigs 23 07-07-2011 12:56 PM
Mike M.F. Coopers LNC turning LCC Build Mike Cooper Team Losi Comp Crawler 22 06-04-2011 10:28 AM
my 1.9 superduty and my 1:1 superduty rednck21 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 09-28-2008 11:24 PM