Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Custom F350 Build & Trail Creation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Custom F350 Build & Trail Creation

I just picked this hobby up recently because a buddy of mine at work hounded me until I decided to give it a try. I picked up a used honcho off of ebay from a guy, and while it was a pretty good deal.. the guy had so much messed up on the thing that I just don't know how great of a deal it was. Though if I wouldn't have gotten it I wouldn't be at this point so I guess it's all good in the end. The guy had so many wiring issues.. I wouldn't doubt it if he took a new stock scx10 and ripped every wire off of everything and tried to redo it himself. I snapped a wire that was connected from the esc to the on/off switch for the esc, inside the wire sleeve near the end but not an exposed area. So, needless to say.. lots of stuff has to be revamped and fixed.

Enter the build:

What I got from him was a honcho that he had painted

Okay so I live in Georgia and the flag is okay I guess.. but this rig needs an overhaul. It came with an F350 body and that's what I plan on basing my build off of. Fitment? The back wheel extends too far towards the rear and needs to be fixed, but that's okay because we're going to be making a LOT of custom parts for this beast. Let's see some initial shots:

So it's not too far off, but it does sit a little awkwardly in the back. I've gotten to run it quite a bit but I always run in to some issue... usually it has something to do with wiring. Either the power switch is rigged up and just fails, the connectors to the motor are rigged up and just fail or any of a number of other little issues that can cause you to stop running for the day. It's okay though, once I work out the messes this project will continue on and hopefully be awesome.

A few pictures from some of the riding I've been able to do so far:

This spot is a lot tougher than it looks, and actually a really cool area I found. There is a dirt road that goes up the mountain near where I live, it goes along the river and for the most part people go fishing in that area. I found a cool spot that goes off the opposite side and has a little walking trail up to some waterfalls. Some trees have fallen in the path to the waterfall so I haven't ventured all the way up to it yet but I have seen it from a short distance down the path. I will make it there eventually! Anyway, this spot is pretty steep and the creek that runs right next to it combined with being in the forest causes the ground to be very wet/muddy from moisture in the area. The spot is super slick and the path straight up has a root that sticks out. Full throttle through this spot and you can almost guarantee you're going to flip and roll backwards. My third time back to this spot I finally figured it out and made it up:

Here is a shot from down the road near the above spot:

I'm pretty sure the wheels aren't weighted. I was running an AE-1 esc so I had no drag brake or anything really. The electronics seemed shoddy and not always at their best and kept bumming me out everywhere I went. The shocks don't seem like they were maintained at all, the balls in the connectors don't move at all and they feel stiffer than they should be. The driveshafts were the plastic stock ones and they had already taken a beating. It did come already 4-linked though so that is something going good for me :/

Let's take a look at this monster before we go in to the building process

As you can see, we're at a pretty rough starting point.

I don't think it's necessary to say but it was definitely something unavoidable, broken driveshaft:

So.. wow I have a LOT of work to do. Before I completely destroyed the ESC I had ordered some parts, they will be here tomorrow (Friday).

4: gmade piggyback shocks
2: junfac driveshafts
Pack of wheel weights
Pack of chassis hardware

I was pretty stoked about getting new shocks and driveshafts. Then the ESC issue enters and I'm faced with a decision: Try and fix it up, find a cheap used ESC or go buy the best. I started looking and doing as much research as I could before making a decision. I was kind of looking at three main options and finally made up my mind.
So I placed another order:

Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL Electronic Speed Control
Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster Pro Handwound 540 35 Turn

Another buddy of mine from work is in to RC planes and has some extra stuff laying around, hes going to let me use his LiPo 4S battery, hopefully it'll work with all of this. Once I get my parts in I'll get some more pictures and begin the trucks build and new look. I'm not 100% sure of what I want to do yet as far as body design but I'll figure it out soon. Custom frame rails, boxes, mounts, etc.. plan on seeing a lot of new / custom / awesome work in this thread. I work in the office of a machine shop that has a waterjet, several cnc mills and lathes and a full fabrication shop. This is going to be sweet!

Oh wait.. there's more!
This thread is a truck / trail combination build thread. So that means while I work on my truck and work towards it's final completion, I'll be keeping an update on how my trail building is progressing.

The trail/spot is starting out fairly basic. I found a spot next to my house where there were some decent sized rocks on slopes and nice hills. Since it's in the woods, I'll be able to branch trails off of the starting area.. should be pretty cool. So far I haven't done too much, but I did start clearing leaves out of the area and give some test runs while I could. My drive shaft was broken at this spot and my ESC wire that I snapped was done at this spot as well.

So many roots! It'll get cleared out before long and continue to expand on to the spot. Can't wait to get the truck back operational so I can come play in this spot some more. Hope you've enjoyed the teaser and are ready for the magic to come!

aebstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Custom F350 Build & Trail Creation

Nice post man. I'm subscribing. The spot at your house looks pretty neat, I wish I had a place with rocks like that!!
ProjectSCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #3

nice Terry, can't wait to come play at the new spot
1MEANMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSCX10 View Post
Nice post man. I'm subscribing. The spot at your house looks pretty neat, I wish I had a place with rocks like that!!
Thanks, I plan on building it up a lot. It's already decent though, somewhat technical and the slope of the hill is a lot steeper than the pictures let you believe. You come out of one spot and try to go in to the next section and risk sliding/rolling down in to leaves. I also have to clean out more area.. this entire space was completely covered in leaves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MEANMACH View Post
nice Terry, can't wait to come play at the new spot
In due time grasshopper! We're Helen bound first though.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #5

Sweet. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Cut your power switch off and solder the wires together if its giving you problems turn it on off by unplugging the battery.
Mike Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I had the same situation as u! I bought a used honcho thinking it was in great condition but there was a couple of things wrong with it. Missing screws, the left side was hexes and the right was phillips, and a lot of stripped plastic! Not a hard fix, besides that i love the truck!
Hollaitzwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

One shipment in:

Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hurry up and put them on the truck! haha. My shocks have already started leaking (RTR Wraith ones) go figure haha. So I might be getting some soon too.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Have a stripped setscrew on one of the driveshafts, they will have to go on tomorrow. Hoping my esc and motor come in tomorrow but it will probably be Saturday or Monday at best. Done for the night.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Definitely headed in the right direction! If its not to late, might want to see if you can get the waterproof version for your esc. I think he gives you a 60 day warranty with it too :thumbup:
Looking good though!

Sent from my DROID X2
Grichardson152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grichardson152 View Post
Definitely headed in the right direction! If its not to late, might want to see if you can get the waterproof version for your esc. I think he gives you a 60 day warranty with it too :thumbup:
Looking good though!

Sent from my DROID X2
Thanks, I couldn't order it from Holmes Hobbies because he was out of stock for like 2-3 weeks still. I ordered it from somewhere else, non waterproofed.. but I know all he does is put epoxy on the base. I might send it to HH to have it done but I'm just ready to get the truck running again. Tracking says it'll be here tomorrow, hopefully I won't have any issues with getting it to work correctly.

Drilling out the set screw today at work so I can get this old busted driveshaft off of my axle, then new driveshafts go on when I get home today.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Your gonna be rolling over like crazy now with that ride height plus the small 1.9 flat irons. Looks like some wheels, tires, and higher mounts are next hahahaha
Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #13

x2 on the ride height, mine sets at ~2-1/2" to the bottom of the frame at the transmission and does really good. GET IT LOW!
jeepyj027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Like I said, it will be lower.

Having a problem, hopefully someone can answer this fairly quickly: I put my new driveshafts on and when I spin the tires forward it seems okay and smooth, when I try to spin it backwards its like its locked up. I can force it to spin but its hard and then it just stops again. What could cause this?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aebstract View Post
Like I said, it will be lower.

Having a problem, hopefully someone can answer this fairly quickly: I put my new driveshafts on and when I spin the tires forward it seems okay and smooth, when I try to spin it backwards its like its locked up. I can force it to spin but its hard and then it just stops again. What could cause this?
Souns like they shafts a slightly binding due to the extreme angles they are at due to the ride height. You can fix it be either lowering the trucks, like your gonna do haha, or you can extend the length of your top links by a few millimeters. This will rotate your axles away from the center of the truck and make the pinion angle less steep.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Extended the links on the front where it was happening and it seems better now. Gonna work on some small things here and there til my esc / motor get here today. Gotta figure out how I'm going to hook a battery up to the new esc.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #17

from what I can tell in your pics, the pinion is pretty much level with the ground. You won't have binding issues and the joints on your driveshafts will like you better if you get the pinion yoke pointed up towards the trans output. Just be careful with the front because your messing with the caster angle of your steering.
jeepyj027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Having some issues with getting my esc to turn the motor: Help Calibrating HH BR-XL
Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

are you satisfied with the shocks?how do they work?
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
are you satisfied with the shocks?how do they work?
So far but I haven't gotten to do any really good testing yet because I was out of an esc when they came in and I've been trying to get the new one working right. I think it is and I think my motor is okay but I'm wondering if maybe this nimh doesn't have enough power to power it correctly? Feels underpowered. Also I know a big part of this underpower feel is coming from my driveshaft angle being too high, which I'm going to fix and I have already sorta fixed it in the rear. The driveshafts I got, the set screw is coming out after a few minutes of play so I kinda have to wait til I get some loctite before I can go back. :(

I'll post more about the shocks once I get my driveshaft and stuff working right.

Custom F350 Build & Trail Creation - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my wite trash f350/scx10/custom build joshwat1 1.9 Scale Rigs 16 08-05-2012 08:45 PM
X-Trail/Custom AX10 Build Up ... dbernstein 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 04-16-2010 08:52 PM
My Latest Creation (Chevy C10 custom airbrushed) Brandon Chit Chat 34 06-15-2006 08:11 AM