Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: sprung vs droop help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default sprung vs droop help

ok im new to rc crawling i have a stock rtr honcho... what im wanting to know is what the difference is in the suspension setups? i know google will be my best friend some of yall say well ive searched for about 3 hrs and just get a bunch of nonsense...so if any of yall will shed some light on this it would help...pics would help of the differnet setups also
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: sprung vs droop help

Probably the easiest way to describe the difference is that sprung is what your stock honcho has right now. If you take the springs off your shocks that is droop. Some people actually put a spring inside the shock housing that pulls the shock to be fully compressed.
Here is my truck with a sprung shock setup...

Here is the same truck, same shocks just with the springs removed for a droop setup...

Hope that's what you were looking for.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have tried droop and sprung setups on a couple of my rides. The advantage of the droop is you have a lower center of gravity meaning you can side hill at a steeper angle, the disadvantage is your belly clearance is lower meaning your chassis could get hung up easier, and you have 0 up travel.
Currently all of my truck have sprung setup. My Scx10 has so much weight on it the suspension rides about 70% down compared to stock. I only have 1/4" of up travel left (this is called semi droop).
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Not trying to confuse the OP, but I have a question. Would it possible to balance an internal droop spring with an external sprung spring to get a semi droop setup?
devestator_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by devestator_x View Post
Not trying to confuse the OP, but I have a question. Would it possible to balance an internal droop spring with an external sprung spring to get a semi droop setup?
Yes. That is called semi droop. The gmade transition shocks you can build as full droop, full sprung as well as two configurations of semi droop. They are all done with internal springs though. Here is gmade's R-1 rock buggy with their shocks explained. About half way down the page is the image you're looking for. https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/gmade-r...gy-p-2704.html My truck is in droop setup because the springs it came with are WAY to stiff. My plan is to set it for semi droop.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

ok i think im getting it and i will need up travel so ill go with the sprung i think... what size shock would i need to make my stock truck capable of some big small and rigid rocks im looking for some flex but mot alot
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcivic View Post
ok i think im getting it and i will need up travel so ill go with the sprung i think... what size shock would i need to make my stock truck capable of some big small and rigid rocks im looking for some flex but mot alot
To tell you the truth, the stock shocks work really pretty well. If you want something smoother you may look into axial's aluminum shock body. I've heard that those help smooth out the shocks.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i like playing with spring rates so ive tested pretty much all the viable shock and spring options for the scx10. It really depends on your driving style, the terrain you mostly drive on, shock length, truck weight, etc... it all affects whether a sprung, droop or semi-droop is the best for your situation.

For me for example, if im driving mostly on my rock course, i prefer to stick with full droop and a VERY soft internal spring between the bottom of the piston and bottom of the shock cylinder around the shock shaft. This spring helps keep the suspension compressed, reducing the likelihood that the shocks will "unload" and push your truck off a sidehill or super-steep incline. This setup compared to a soft sprung setup basically lets me full throttle and steer, with no worries of flipping, even on the steepest parts of my track. This with longer Duratraxx alloy shocks gives me about 6" of articulation, but a crazy amount of torque twist (it 3-wheels up most hills).

However.... if I'm driving in the forest, to me nothing beats a semi-soft sprung setup. Extra clearance, less chance to bind a stick or small rock in the drivetrain, and enough anti-squat (but not too much) to give me some wheelie/hillclimb power.

I don't claim to be an expert but those are my opinions. BTW my truck weighs 7.1lbs and im VERY twitchy on my throttle, so i tend to snap stock driveshaft pins more often on full-droop
jp0160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I love droop for the scale look of a low slung body/chassis with the performance of shock down travel, but don't like the stiffness of riding on bumpstops. As was mentioned, for pure rocks its all good but trail riding a lil spring is good imo.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote

sprung vs droop help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 suspension droop vs sprung Dgrouchy Axial SCX-10 11 06-12-2012 08:29 PM
R1 - Sprung or Droop? adrians3109 G-Made Crawlers 8 08-17-2010 08:41 PM
droop and sprung shocks? NeXt559 General Crawlers 5 07-20-2008 11:33 PM
Droop or sprung? which way to go? jlmotox Newbie General 1 04-08-2008 12:46 PM
Sprung droop or both ? RaceChat Newbie General 1 01-05-2008 01:17 AM