Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dingo build question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Dingo build question

So I built the dingo kit and this is my first crawler/scaler type vehicle. I put the xl5 in it with a traxxas stinger 20turn motor. My question is should it not roll easily when pushing it by hand? I know it has both axles locked and is geared differently than the slash (or any other 2wd) and has a higher turn motor. I just want to make sure this is normal before I run a battery through it.
Dingo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Move the pinion away from the spur and try it again, should have little if any resistance.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Dingo build question

I had done that and the truck does not roll easily. It has a lot of resistance.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Try loosening wheel nuts.

And/or disconnecting each driveshaft from tranny/axle one at a time testing again.

It's all a signal chain really, follow where the mechanical motion would go after each device (motor, tranny, axle etc).
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I will try that. Basically a process of elimination. I am wondering if the gear mesh is tight in the axles. I see in the manual now about making sure the pinion is set properly.

Thanks for the quick help
Old 07-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I am glad I asked. I almost assumed it was to be like that because of the locked diffs and the gearing.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Haven't really seen binding in the axles unless the bearings aren't fully seated. Running it may help if that's the case.

Yeah process of elimination works.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

How much and how thick of the grease did you put into the transmission and axles?
DudeWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #9

Did you check to see if you aligned the marks on on the driveshaft?
DGKrawler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Slipper clutch too tight?
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I have a 35t tekin brushed motor And when i push my crawler i have to put some force on it for the wheels to turn.
Hollaitzwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollaitzwillie View Post
I have a 35t tekin brushed motor And when i push my crawler i have to put some force on it for the wheels to turn.
Does your ESC have a Drag Brake? That will give it resistance when the ESc is powered on. I installed some Integy driveshafts and had serious binding issues, try oiling the Driveshaft joints it may help. Are the screws in your center tranny too tight? that will cause binding. The driveshafts only fit together 2/4 ways, the other 2 ways will be very tight. I always use Motomaster automotive green axle and wheel bearing grease for my gears, never had a problem. I'm no expert but having any motor attached has always given a fair amount of resistance for me.

The best thing i would suggest is to remove the motor and pinion off of the spur gear and test it again. it should roll pretty freely without the motor/pinion meshed. If it doesn't, something in the drivetrain is binding. Try the front axle on its own, the center tranny on its own, the rear axle on its own, the motor on its own. Like you said, process of eliminiation should find the problem sooner or later.

This message was fueled by 9 bottles of James Ready 5.5, I have no idea if i made any sense!
jp0160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0160 View Post
Does your ESC have a Drag Brake? That will give it resistance when the ESc is powered on. I installed some Integy driveshafts and had serious binding issues, try oiling the Driveshaft joints it may help. Are the screws in your center tranny too tight? that will cause binding. The driveshafts only fit together 2/4 ways, the other 2 ways will be very tight. I always use Motomaster automotive green axle and wheel bearing grease for my gears, never had a problem. I'm no expert but having any motor attached has always given a fair amount of resistance for me.

The best thing i would suggest is to remove the motor and pinion off of the spur gear and test it again. it should roll pretty freely without the motor/pinion meshed. If it doesn't, something in the drivetrain is binding. Try the front axle on its own, the center tranny on its own, the rear axle on its own, the motor on its own. Like you said, process of eliminiation should find the problem sooner or later.

This message was fueled by 9 bottles of James Ready 5.5, I have no idea if i made any sense!
It does have drag brake but im not sure whats it set at. When theres no battery hooked up theres a lot of resistence. I can leave the crawler on a 45 degree hill and it wont move.
Hollaitzwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Do understand though that it will offer more resistance than a short course truck or anything else. So some resistance is normal.
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulo747 View Post
Do understand though that it will offer more resistance than a short course truck or anything else. So some resistance is normal.
X2 there is alot of gearing reduction,3x more than a short course truck.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulo747 View Post
Agree 100%. Everytime you get a gear reduction, it takes less force for the motor to move the truck, but more force for you to push the truck manually. Figure you have lower gearing in the pinion/spur combo, then the trans is geared lower, then you have the axles which also give a reduction. It all adds up to needing a whole bunch more force.

Simplest way to check for binding is to move the motor so the pinion isnt engaged to the spur and roll the truck. It should freewheel is hardly any resistence. If it's still difficult, then theres something wrong elsewhere.
devestator_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

So I did loosen the motor and moved the pinion away and it was fairly easy to push. Not as easy as my SC truck but easy enough. So i meshed the motor back up. Then as the other person mentioned above I could put mine on an incline and it won't go anywhere. I have to push it pretty good to move it. The motor is a 20t traxxas stinger. I have the xl5 esc (no drag break). I have run the truck and you would think it has a drag break but the truck sounds and runs good.

I figure I will run it and if I break something and i will know where the problem is. I figure for me that is part of the hobby. I learn and I get to wrench on it again.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I will check the slipper clutch as josh mentions above and see if that helps.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

The more mile your truck does, the more everything will loosen up. A mate of mine has a SCX10 that has been beaten for more than a year. And with the standard motor in it, it just rolls down any incline. Where as mine is brand new, with a 55turn motor, and mine stops on mild inclines.
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Dingo build question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with my Dingo build driftin2crawlin Axial SCX-10 5 04-06-2013 08:10 AM
Bronco2x84's DINGO TR Build Bronco2x84 Axial SCX-10 3 02-15-2012 02:58 PM
My Dingo build sort of. BillH Axial SCX-10 9 02-06-2012 06:46 PM
dingo kit build sheeno Axial SCX-10 21 02-05-2012 01:35 PM
Dingo Build up. mwscooters Axial SCX-10 27 10-12-2011 03:27 PM