Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Lipos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Default Lipos

I just wanted to know what lipos everyone uses for crawlling and how you store them. I was using an SPC 6000 MaH for my short course truck and an Onyx 5700 so I just went with those when I got my Honcho. I preferred the SPC but with crawling it doesn't seem to matter. I'm still keeping my batteries in the garage but it gets pretty hot out there so I've been debating putting them in the refrigerator as someone on YouTube suggested. Good idea or not?
UPS Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I don't know about the fridge idea but, i keep mine in my basement in my radio box. It is a constant 70 degrees down there year round. I have three Maxamps 3s 460mah and three sky lipos for my scaler. The Maxamps are 100c burst and i can tell when I switched from turnigys that they are worth it.
skipxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

Default Re: Lipos

Yeah if you're going to store them any longer than say a week or two, it's a good idea to put them in the fridge. Keep em cold but don't freeze em. Also best to store them around 3.8 volts per cell rather than fully charged. Following table is from battery university.

Honcho Legger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Fridge? I never heard that before. U can use a lipo saftey bag if u were worried about them causing damage.
Hollaitzwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #5

It's not about them exploding or bursting into flames or anything spectacular like that, it's just about the longevity of the pack as far as preserving its capacity. Although I will admit if it's a 30 dollar gens ace pack and it lasts me a year or so, well I figure I've probably already gotten my money's worth out of it.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Lesson learned. Don't leave a fully charged lipo in hot garage. I did and it puffed up pretty bad.
briang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I use a Hyperion battery and I just keep it at storage voltage in my living room in a Lipo-Safe bag. It has lasted 2 years for me so far and shows no signs of losing capacity or puffing. I wouldn't bother with looking like a weirdo to anyone who opens your fridge, just keep them at room temperature and your batteries will be fine.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRockNoCookie View Post
I wouldn't bother with looking like a weirdo to anyone who opens your fridge, just keep them at room temperature and your batteries will be fine.

Considering we are grown men paying thousands of dollars to play with toy trucks, I'm pretty sure most of us have accepted "wierdo status"

Just sayin......
fla_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I live where it is hot 11 months of the year. I have Gens Ace, Sky Lipo, SPC and Turnigy nanotechs. If I will not run them in a week I put a storage charge on them and sit them in the fridge inside a lipo bag. When I know I am gonna go drive my trucks I charge them up the night before. These batteries have been running great for almost two years with no noticeable drop in run time.
Bambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honcho Legger View Post
Yeah if you're going to store them any longer than say a week or two, it's a good idea to put them in the fridge. Keep em cold but don't freeze em. Also best to store them around 3.8 volts per cell rather than fully charged. Following table is from battery university.

3.8 volts? How do I do that? LOL. Can you tell I'm new to this? I have a decent charger that chargers two batteries at once. It's an Onyx charger. I know how to program it to charge but that's about it.
UPS Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #11

Some chargers have a "storage charge" function that will terminate charging at around 3.8v per cell, if yours doesn't you can simply keep an eye on your display and stop the charge yourself once it gets there.

Lipos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New on Lipos, how to no waste money in overpowered LIPOS. raolguio Electronics 6 11-03-2010 03:08 PM