Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New to me SCX10 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default New to me SCX10 build (pics added 7/17)

Just got my semi rolling chassis from the Fedex guy today. Its semi rolling because it has no wheels atm. I plan on building a pre-runner style truck to accompany my Slash (which will be trailered)

I have 2 motor options right now in my "inventory" and am not sure which to use. Ive got a couple of old school Trinity race motors 27T 22* advance timing and I also have a 5700kv Castle 4 pole with a Sidewinder Sv2. I think the CC motor is waaay overkill and would end up breaking diffs. Just hoping the 27T motors give some top speed. Looking to go about as fast as a stock Wheely King.

Going to run Slash 4x4 wheels and tires for now (for that great BFG white lettering) and not sure about the body... either a Honcho cab with a custom bed, or a full size extended cab pickup.

Last edited by devestator_x; 07-17-2012 at 03:56 PM.
devestator_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New to me SCX10 build

Use the 27t motor and gear it up. A 23t pinion with stock spur should get you pretty close speed wise. If that isn't fast enough go up in voltage.
lonleycreeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

I know this thread is useless without pics, so hopefully tonight I will get some posted up.

I did some work this weekend on it. Was going to have the battery in the back, but realized it would put my antenna in the middle of the windshield area, so I made a custom plate to hold the battery tray located right in front of the trans.

The wheels seem to have too much offset and it looks too narrow overall, so eventually I will get some 1.9s for it.

It has a CMS kit on it and I noticed some scrapes in the steering link caused by the screw holding the drag link to the servo horn. I flipped the servo around so now the only thing that hits is the pumpkin goes right up into the servo. I know this isnt optimal for crawling, but I wont be crawling with it. Still not sure if I am going to put a servo saver or not.

Current to do list...
Buy a body
Buy an extension for the servo wire to reach the back of the chassis
Buy wheel spacers (until I can buy a full set of tires and rims)
Make a plate to mount the rx box and esc
Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
I joined the Band!

Finally got the pics up

How I got the truck and added the motor.

Pic of the custom Battery mount I made.

With the Slas wheels mounted up and the temporary mount plate for the rx box. Also shows the transmission flipped. I may end up keeping this plate as it helps keep the wires out of the spur gear. it was a front bulkhead from my old RC10T and was modded a little for my Trophy Truck experiment.

Little closer look. The Rx box is a Traxxas unit and will get a cover later on.

Last edited by devestator_x; 07-17-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added photobucket pics
Old 07-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Got a body today... Proline 72 Chevy C10 Went with an off kilter paint color, straying away from the norm... metallic purple with a silver accent color.

Tried to get the light to pick up the metal flake

Swapped the rims/tires out too. The Red beadlocks just didnt look right next to the purple. This was originally going to be more of a pre-runner, now its going to be more mud/tough truck. New rims and tires will be bought in the next month. Im thinking Axial Walker Evans rims with either Super Swampers or Micky Thompsons.

Next on the agenda will be a rear roll bar and possibly a hinged tonneau cover to hide the rear body clips and that 1/2" drop in the bed.

New to me SCX10 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pinchflat's SCX10 "WTF am I going to build" Build. PinchFlat Axial SCX-10 99 10-09-2012 12:59 PM
My scx10 build 10yearrx7 Axial SCX-10 1 03-20-2012 07:28 PM
My SCX10 build... airdreams1 Axial SCX-10 5 12-23-2011 10:49 PM
scx10 build crawlhog Axial SCX-10 12 10-18-2011 02:13 PM
SCX10 Build..... BOWTIE Axial SCX-10 37 12-12-2009 08:24 AM