Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: R1 Axle SCX10 Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

Default R1 Axle SCX10 Cherokee

So after about a year of running the SCX10 Honcho in fairly stock setup, and after ripping out the rear axle to build a solid axle HPI Mini Trophy, I sat down with my good friend 'the internet' and planned the Axial's return to glory.

This is how it sat a few days/weeks after i built the kit

Notice I didn't even bother to get the cage on the back before filling the whole thing with mud (I was just so excited!)
This is running a HPI Crawler 55t motor, Traxxas XL2.5 esc, a HPI 27mhz receiver and G-Made TS-02 Shocks.

I ended up taking out the Crawler motor and swapping for a 15t Firebolt motor, just for that extra wheelspeed. This along with 2.2 RockGrabbers meant I could pop tiny wheelies from reverse.

The truck basically stayed like this until I got my hands on a pair of Gmade R1 portal axles, from where I started to build the truck back up from the ground.

Now there is custom front links, G-Made XD piggyback 103mm shocks, Pro-Line Titus Beadlocks, 2.2 RC4WD Interco Boggers, HPI Flux Reload V2 Esc, Etronix Photon 9t brushless motor and 2S LiPo POWERRR!

and of course the Pro-Line Cherokee body which is spent hours meticulously painting white. (sounds easy? only I can balls up painting one thing one colour)

As it sits here the LiPo and Brushless power was much to fast for the high suspension setup, so I have dropped the shocks down to the lower link mount on the axle, this brought the whole thing down a couple centimeters and by tightening up the shocks with the AWESOME adjustment screw on these shocks the thing isn't quite so lairy.

And it still likes to play in the mud!

And the good news is today I managed to rip one of the front links off (completely) and actually tear one of the Axial Wild Boar drive shafts in half! (Picture to come) So I guess its back to the internet and my trusty PayPal account for some delicious Junfac hardened steel shafts! Giggity!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Jackington; 08-17-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Jackington is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: R1 Axle SCX10 Cherokee

cool, looks like a beast, what part of the uk are you from?
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

looks mean as hell, like it alot.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #4

Thanks guys! Goes like a beast with that brushless in as well, scares the crap outta me!

Tonysmini I notice you are from Spalding! AS AM I! So pobrockrawler, now you know, Spalding, Lincs! XD
Old 07-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

how did you like them ts02 shocks and how are you liking the 103mm piggybacks?? if i ran them on my stock setup with 1.9s u think they will bindor should i stick to the 93mm??
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #6

I really liked both the sets of G-Made shocks, the TS-02s were awesome as long as they were kept clean, I ended up pretty much giving them a good clean out after every run, but it was great to never have to worry about leaking shocks, just grease up and go! The piggybacks are... amazing, they are super smooth and the adjustment is excellent, they go from super soft to hard as nails, they are pretty huge bits of kit though, so they aren't exactly scale looking but they work great. I would say unless you want the truck to be super tall to go with the 93mm, with the 103mms it might look kinda goofy, but each to their own I guess, could always whip out a tape measure a give it a try? But I definately recommend the piggybacks! Hope this helps!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm just down the road in Gedney hill. Have a look on scalerc.co.uk you'll find alot of guys there.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Good Looking Mud Truck!

Just my opinion, but I would go MIP or something else besides Junkfac for shafts. I had lots of issues with Junkfac shafts on my Tamiya CR-01
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I think it'd look better with 1.9" Boggers but to each his own.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #10

Thanks for the tip on the MIP shafts HDMM, anybody got any idea where I can get them in the UK? Can only find the US site and I am far too impatient to wait for US delivery. Will probably just keep the Junfacs until the die and then see what happens, maybe RC4WD Punisher shafts.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
RCC Addict

your driveshaft angle looks a little steap so you may want to mount an ax10 scorpion chassis to the scx10 chassis. that will make your driveshafts less steap and give you the ability to run a longer shock. i had a scx10 built similar to yours with savage shocks

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
c0bra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #12

Thanks for the tip about the driveshafts, I have now moved the shocks to the lower link mount point on the R1 axles which has dropped the chassis down by a good centimeter and a half so the driveshafts aren't so steep now.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

this is the kind of crazy build i love!!! any vids of it brushless? any at all? how did the axles stand up to the abuse?
jaytet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 AM   #14

haha thanks, its the best kind of build! ;)

i would have done videos of it already, but its so bleedin nutty that it keeps breaking itself! (Now the 2075 servo has died) The axles are doing pretty well for the moment, will have to have a look inside to check the internals out, but they seem pretty tough, kinda sloppy though, but aside from that they are doing well!

here's a couple of body off pics, I know they aren't great, let me know if you wanna see anything else

Last edited by Jackington; 07-31-2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: added photos
Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I have always wanted to see an SCX10 with R1 axles and now this makes me want to convert one of my rigs over! Looks like a beast with those boggers and it looks like a wicked lifted jeep
TheManCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #16

So I managed to destroy 2 traxxas servos in as many days! But fter much fiddling I managed to scrounge some servo parts from another broken servo, and get the Jeep rolling again!
Just in time to catch the end of the masses of rain we just had so there's plenty of mud about! Get in!

Alas, its not allowed in the house any more!

Notice I have different wheels, turns out the Proline Titus Beadlocks just aren't up to the task of holding those massive meats in! Brushless power just ripped the tires off. So back to my trusty Axial Rocksters. Had them on the truck before I changed everything up, mounted with some HPI Rock Grabbers, which are excellent tires by the way.

No more changes for now, On my 2nd rejiggered servo, but I managed to find a servo saver so hopefully no more shredded gears!

And there's a video on the way!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Looks good, I need to get some time off and get mine out too.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #18

So I was sitting about doing nothing when I spotted an old model of a blown mustang, and I thought to myself, I have to get that thing on my mud truck, I mean, come on, what's better than an awesome Jeep? An awesome BLOWN Jeep! So here it comes!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #19

So here we go, after about no minutes of thinking about how to do this, I have done it, and it works, and I am amazed.

Here is the donor car, begging to be dismantled!

I decided that I would make a bracket that would attach to the shock posts and go over the battery tray, so I did a quick test with a piece of card and found myself a sheet of stainless to start. I cut it and folded it and drilled some holes to screw in the blower and this is what I ended up with.

Then I needed to cut a hole in the bonnet of the body, simple.

Quick test to make sure everything fits.

Bolted onto the shock hoops.

Body on and done! Awesome!

Now I just need to rebuild my transmission and I can go break it off on something.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Nothing screams brushless power like a roots blower sticking out of the hood haha. Great looking mud truck. If you have any problems with mud stacking in the lugs, cut out every third lug (the small one) and it helps a lot.
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, gmade r1, scx10

R1 Axle SCX10 Cherokee - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my Cherokee scx10 Jimger 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 02-01-2012 02:13 PM
Cherokee on scx10? CrawlerKing93 Axial SCX-10 11 11-09-2011 04:22 PM
My SCX10 Cherokee ebbet Axial SCX-10 11 09-07-2011 08:35 PM
SCX10 Cherokee BlueNDN Scale Videos! 0 03-16-2011 12:39 AM
Scx10 cherokee 2.2! XxRockStar199xX Axial SCX-10 30 07-14-2010 01:21 AM