Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: RubberSideDown's Dingo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #1

Smile RubberSideDown's Dingo (8/5 UPDATE)

Hey guys! Signed up a while back and im just recently getting on to troll the forums. Got my Dingo as a Christmas gift this past year from my wife and didn't get around to actually running it until April. Coming from the world of on road cars and old Tamiya Blackfoot trucks I found this thing awesome!! I only had a chance to get out a few times and run a couple packs through her between then and now due to being pretty heavily involved in hockey. Well thanks to a recent injury (MCL) im down for a few months and i've been able to knock the dust off and get out to crawl a little. I'm hooked...again Bout 20 minutes ago I ordered some VP 8 degree knuckles and chubs along with some rear lockouts. Other then that this truck is bone stock. (Dropped in a 27t and axial AE-1 I had laying around just so I could play) Can't wait to get some decent electronics in her and really hit the trail! Anyhow, sorry for the long winded intro. Just wanted to drop in and say hey and share a couple pics. Be nice, this is my first build in the scale world.

Last edited by RubberSideDown; 08-05-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: 8/5 Update
RubberSideDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #2

Default Re: RubberSideDown's Dingo

Thanks man! I liked the orange that Axial has on the "kit" Dingo but didnt want something THAT orange. This is like a metallic burnt orange and looks awesome in the sun.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Rig looks great. One word of advice. Move the Hilift jack to behind the front bar on the bumper. The foot plate breaks off easy and is out in the open like you have it. If you move it behind the bar, it will be protected more. I love the color!
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #4

Well on the way are VP 8 degree chubs and knuckles, rear lockouts and a couple scale bits. I'm thinking Jevne Racing's Ultra plate and totally new electronics. Holmes Hobbies waterproof ESC (Available Mid August) a 35T motor (integy,RC4WD, Tekin, MAYBE Holmes if money allows) and a Hitec 7955TG servo. Down the road i'd REALLY like to grab a set of VP OMF wheels ::drool:: hahaha

Last edited by RubberSideDown; 07-22-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

Tanks Rook! Yeah it's gotten hung up a few times on random things and I had though about taking it off the bumper all together and mounting it to either the cage or the back of the rig just havent gotten around to it. Im sure i'll remember 3 seconds after it breaks. lol

Last edited by RubberSideDown; 07-22-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling fix
Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking rig.

Just a heads up, but I'm pretty sure you need the Axial CVD's to work with the Vanquish 8* parts.

Can't tell by your pics, but that monster torque Hitec servo is going to want a rugid aluminum servo horn if you don't already have one. The Hitec's included servo horn is thin and meant for smaller bolts. By the time you drill it out for 3mm it is very weak. I run Robitronics horns on everything now.

It makes the motor look more affordable if you get the Holmes BRXL and Sportmaster combo. Don't forget the waterproofing option! I run the BRXL in my SCX and wouldn't have it any other way. Super precise throttle response and motor control is very nice to have.

Once you get sick if catching the front bumper on everything, it's pretty easy to move up and back and still look good with the body.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #7

Hmm...Did not know that about the CVD's. I didnt see anything in VP's site that states they "needed" to be replaced BUT, if thats the case then no biggie. It'll give me a reason to buy new truck "swag"

I did plan on mounting a new (Heavy duty) servo horn when I get the new Hitec unit. I dont even know whats in there now. I reached into a bag of spares that I had and threw it in. Its way under powered but it turns the wheels. All the electronics in there now are just so I can get it out and do a little trail riding. No heavy crawling just yet.

I actually found a place online that has the BRXL AND HH Torquemaster Pro Handwound 35T in stock right now, just waiting on some eBay funds to clear in PayPal then its mine!

The bumper and even the jack arent terrible right now but again, I havent done any real crawling just yet. My biggest issue thus far has been vines getting caught up and wrapped around the axles. I was thinking that when the time comes and I get tired of it I make the switch to one of the small RC4WD front bumpers and call it a day.

Keep the comments and feedback coming guys! I appreciate any help I can get.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #8

Sent Steve at VP an email and he he responded lightning fast! Here's what he said:

Hey Charles
Stock (SCX) fits fine.
We just made our CVD's stronger.
Thanks,
Steve

There we have it.

I was also curious about the servo so I went and looked and grabbed the specs online...dont laugh to hard.

FP-S148 Servo
Torque

42 Oz-in / 3024 g-cm

Speed

0.22 sec / 60°

Supply Voltage

4.8 - 6 VDC

Supply Current

8mA @ 6V (idle)

Neutral Pulse

1250 µs*

Full CCW Pulse

2200 µs*

Full CW Pulse

220 µs*

Weight

1.5 Oz (44.4 g)

Wiring

+V (RED), GND (BLACK), Control (WHITE)

42oz OF TORQUE!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #9

7/27 UPDATE: Went ahead and got my VP 8 degree chubs, knuckles and rear lockouts installed only to realize that the stock steering linkage won't work. My fault not VP's (Llet me say now that this 8 degree setup is awesome ) After contacting VP, searching here and Google I decided my best bet was going to be to just make my own linkage. So I set out to buy the materials and build my first set of links. I think they turned out great and they definetly do the job. After this was all said and done I moved my jack from the front bumper to the hood (thanks Rook ), mounted my Proline accessories in the rack with a net I picked up on eBay and headed out for a test run. All in all im VERY happy so far and the next wave of parts isnt far away...STAY TUNED!!!

Here's a few pics in the meantime...

Old 07-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
RCC Addict

You should get a Hitec HS-5646WP servo. great torque (180 oz to be exact), waterproof, and metal geared. I have one, the only down side, is that its sky blue.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Still a scary place for the hijack. I put mine there on my hilux and it took a nice roll and insta busted into 3 pieces.

Looks good! I also wish i could get a set of those pretty VP wheels =)
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #12

My current setup is an AE-1 ESC, Axial 27T and that FP-S148 I listed above.

I was looking into getting the Hitec 7955TG, HH BRXL (waterproof) and HH Torquemaster Pro 35T as soon as money will allow.

Currently in the mail on its way to me is an RC4WD XR3 Rx/Tx combo, Outcry ESC and Mayhem servo that were removed from a brand new kit. I got it all for $75 shipped. I'm gonna beat these down and blow them up while im saving for the real good stuff.

I MAY pickup the Torquemaster now but will probably just grab one of the RC4WD 35t cans ($10) to hold me over. Maybe i'll do both, still not sure.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
Still a scary place for the hijack. I put mine there on my hilux and it took a nice roll and insta busted into 3 pieces.

Looks good! I also wish i could get a set of those pretty VP wheels =)
I showed my wife and told her why I moved it to the hood and she said "It looks good on the hood and if it breaks we'll just buy you another one.."

I love this woman.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Looks good man. Steering setup looks clean. I think I might be getting the scale bug...
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #15

Thanks man, I was a little self conscience about posting pics of my first attempt. I love the Bug bodies. I had a '72Super and my cousin has been a Bug guy for 30+ years. I own an 89 K5 Blazer that im going to bring to the small scale first, then defiantly the Bug.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Lol what I meant was that I think I want to build a scaler. Like I got bit by the scaler "bug".

I'm a Yota/Subi guy
Old 07-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #17

My bad.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Post up pics whenever you change something. That's what I do. It's nice to go back and see the changes you've made.

Plus most people around here are super helpful and you will get usefull info without have to search haha.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #19

Amen brother...lol I usually burn up Google and the search function before i'll post about it and I defiantly plan on documenting everything on here along the way. I placed an order through RPP and still awaiting eBay so this week there will be a couple cool updates/upgrades. I'm also awaiting a new addition to the family. That right, the wife and I are expecting a Honcho any day now. That will have its own thread though..
Old 07-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSideDown View Post
I showed my wife and told her why I moved it to the hood and she said "It looks good on the hood and if it breaks we'll just buy you another one.."

I love this woman.
Man wish my g/f was that supportive lol!
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote

RubberSideDown's Dingo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dingo Colorofkris Axial SCX-10 8 04-22-2012 11:21 PM
My Dingo Blaine Axial SCX-10 46 12-03-2011 03:54 PM
new dingo gunatrytocrawl Axial SCX-10 7 06-28-2011 09:59 PM
dingo??? dunwoody Axial SCX-10 36 04-06-2011 12:14 PM