Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: AX30401 Install Help! Gear shaft sticks out further than stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Default AX30401 Install Help! Gear shaft sticks out further than stock

I am new to this Overdriving the front axle of my scx10 honcho, I took the front axle appart and install the AX30401 overdrive gears, i noticed that the part that connects to the drive shaft tends to move or sticks out further comapared against the stock one, & i noticed that the stock have thicker gear and shorter shaft.

Is this normal and leave it sliding? or do i have to move the outer bearing inside the axle?

Your input is highly apprciated. Thanks!
jhonchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: AX30401 Install Help! Gear shaft sticks out further than stock

How much is it moving?

I have to ask: did you follow the manual to reassemble the axle with the new gear set?

Stand both of them on a flat surface, place something flat on top and measure each. Report back.

Initial though is you may have left out a bearing on the inside of the axle housing.

My rear underdrive pinion has some fore-aft movement, a little more than the stock one in front. Nothing I'm concerned about until I hear weird noises.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post
How much is it moving?

I have to ask: did you follow the manual to reassemble the axle with the new gear set?
Thank you very much for you input, unfortunately i dont have a Manual for this, but i was able to look one over the net after you have ask me the question, you're question is one that answered my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post
Initial though is you may have left out a bearing on the inside of the axle housing.
Your are 100% correct. also with the onlline Manual i just read and found out that when i took my axle appart there is no internal bearing in it in which the mannual shows that there should be 2 (one inside and one outside) even with stockbevel gear. Now i have to buy bearing kits to replace the old ones.

Your a champ mate! Otherwise this will just ruin my Overdrive gears and eventually break the axle further down in time.

Lucky i havent put it back together and run it, obviously the previous owner left this running with one bearing only.

I think i have to take them all appart and rebuild them using the mannual to ensure everything is in place.

Cheers!
jhonchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

You will absolutely love the gears....less torque twist.....more steering......better climbing.......a must have on these trucks:cool:
TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Glad to help. I have referred to my manual more times than I can count.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote

AX30401 Install Help! Gear shaft sticks out further than stock - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ax30401 in stock!!! johnnyh66 General Crawlers 0 07-28-2011 10:23 PM