Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Honcho Upgrades - Newbee Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Default Honcho Upgrades - Newbee Question

New to RC and just purchased a Honcho. Would like to start some upgrades but don't have enough knowledge yet on what I actually will be wanting to do with it, trails, rocks, mud, combination, etc. to know which direction to head. So, I could sure use some help on where you think I should start. The only things I am currently looking at is changing the plastic links to the Axial aluminum links (part AX30550) and going with different drive shafts. I also plan on changing the body to a Jeep Rubicon in the future to somewhat match my real jeep. There does not seem to be a lot of RC Crawling where I live and the nearest Hobby shop is about 1 hour away and does not have what I would call a great selection, so most of what I have learned is from reading threads here and on You Tube. Anyway, thanks for any input.
sparrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Honcho Upgrades - Newbee Question

Decide how slow/fast you want to go.. How powerful of a motor and what type of battery/voltage are you going to go with? That will decide what drivetrain upgrades you might need. Depending on how crazy you get, this is where you're going to start breaking stuff first. Unless you want to crawl with 8 volts or less and a 35t-55t motor then the stock drivetrain should last years.

Links are an excellent place to start, you're on the right track there.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Drive it, fix what breaks
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #4

I would just start off with aluminum links and have fun with it and you'll figure out along the way what you want to do with it as far as upgrades.
Honcho Legger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I would change to a hitec waterproof metal geared servo. its what i have, and hasnt failed me yet, and im gettin the thing wet... alot!
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
RCC Addict

definitely get the aluminum steering links to get rid of that slop.

But i agree, fix as your break. but it seems the closest LHS is far....so that may not be best.

have had my hilux over a year now and have only broken the driveshaft and the plastic CHUBs.

welcome to your new addiction.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #7

I'd say to START:
-Metal Lower Links
-Aluminum Knuckles (Axial P/N: AX30496)
-Aluminum C-Hubs (Axial P/N: AX30495)
-Aluminum Rear Lockouts (Axial P/N: AX30494)

Drive shafts are the nest most likely thing to break so when you get a chance, i'd buy a set of these:
MIP CVD's - (MIP Spline Set Center CVD Kit (SCX10))

Beyond that the sky is the limit. The most important thing is having fun and not being afraid the break it. Everything is either fixable or replaceable. Go for it

Last edited by RubberSideDown; 07-29-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: forgot links
RubberSideDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSideDown View Post
I'd say to START:
-Metal Lower Links

Drive shafts are the nest most likely thing to break so when you get a chance, i'd buy a set of these:

Beyond that the sky is the limit. The most important thing is having fun and not being afraid the break it. Everything is either fixable or replaceable. Go for it
Ive never broken a lockout so Im unsure that those are too necessary. but the chubs and knuckles are definitely nice. Check out Vanquish products for those. their 8* setup increases steering.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

You'll find that most LHS (local hobby shop) don't carry crawler stuff...maybe a kit or two, and a few tires. You'll end up doing most of your parts shopping online.

Do what has been suggested...maybe upgrade links if ya want, but I'd run as-is until something breaks. I've had a Dingo TR (the older style Axial ready-to-run) for quite awhile, and it still has the stock plastic links.

My Honcho was a kit, so it is already alum links, and nothing has broken on it, either. Not even the stock Axial driveshafts.

No sense dumping a bunch more cash upfront. Drive it, enjoy it, and see what you need/prefer as times passes.

Have fun!
MarkThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
Ive never broken a lockout so Im unsure that those are too necessary. but the chubs and knuckles are definitely nice. Check out Vanquish products for those. their 8* setup increases steering.
Very true. I upgraded mine as a "just in case" type thing but you're right, their not necessity's. Keep in mind with the 8 degree knuckles and c-hubs you'll need new steering linkage. I recommended the Axial ones just as a cost saving measure.
RubberSideDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Proline makes both a JK 2dr. or a JKU 4 dr. that are pretty nice. I would start with the metal links and changing from 3 link to 4 link front and back.
Other than that I would go slow adding parts so that you see how the stock SCX-10 behaves and then make the changes you need.

We throw the SCX-10 in the back of the our JK when we go camping. We have several places not too far away where there are some nice crawling locations and a few real Jeep trails too.

The real challenge is balancing the Jeep habit vs. rc jeep habit. Both get very expensive and both have folks that will tell you how to spend your money.

k7zpj

SCX-10
Wraith
Plus the 2011 JK Black Ops Edition 1:1 Jeep.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I broke a lot with hh 35 turn on 2 s and alot more on 3 s,but usualy drivlines chub then tranny ,
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSideDown View Post
I'd say to START:
-Metal Lower Links

This is a real newbie question, but I can't seem to tell one way or the other. Is there two drive shafts in this kit or one? Want to make sure I order what I need the first time around.

Thanks a ton!!!
Will-
Ghostrider304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #14

Good thread! I'm sure there are a million of these but I just got a RTR Honcho as well and I've been loving it.

I bought two Gens Ace 2S 5000 MAH batteries and they are awesome. I'd say easy 1 hour run times if not more.

I think I'll just drive mine and enjoy it but I do like the idea of the Vanquish 8 degree steering items. Do they add 8 degrees of more "angle" for steering? Hence the name?

Also I think I'm going to get the Dinky bedsides, I like the look of those. New wheels and tires would be cool too.

I'm going to get a Wraith kit for Christmas so I want to keep the SCX fairly stock.
crit rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

If your gonna do the aluminum links upgrade, it already has the steering links included. I didnt know this and ordered both
tommyargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider304 View Post

This is a real newbie question, but I can't seem to tell one way or the other. Is there two drive shafts in this kit or one? Want to make sure I order what I need the first time around.

Thanks a ton!!!
Will-
There is a centre transmission and then 2 drive shafts coming from it to the front and rear axles.

I've had 2 dingos, 1 rtr and 1 kit and the only things I've really done are the Alu links all round and new wheels and tires. The kits are quite durable in my opinion and I personally have never broken a driveshaft or any part to that matter. But there's still time lol.

I would recommend getting the Alu links and throwing the plastic ones out as these will just bend under a slight bind. Everything else can be upgraded later if/ when you need to.

I also have the 5 door jeep proline body and think its great. However the stock tall body mount for the rear was not tall enough to get it out of the way of my 1.9 Micky thomsons, so I just bent a piece of aluminum plate and made my own.

Enjoy the kit mate!
Abrown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrown83 View Post
There is a centre transmission and then 2 drive shafts coming from it to the front and rear axles.

I've had 2 dingos, 1 rtr and 1 kit and the only things I've really done are the Alu links all round and new wheels and tires. The kits are quite durable in my opinion and I personally have never broken a driveshaft or any part to that matter. But there's still time lol.

I would recommend getting the Alu links and throwing the plastic ones out as these will just bend under a slight bind. Everything else can be upgraded later if/ when you need to.

I also have the 5 door jeep proline body and think its great. However the stock tall body mount for the rear was not tall enough to get it out of the way of my 1.9 Micky thomsons, so I just bent a piece of aluminum plate and made my own.

Enjoy the kit mate!
I must not have explained myself well. This kit I was refering to in my original post talked about a CVD shaft. I wanted to know if that kit included two complete drive shafts or would I need to order two kits. I was not sure and wanted to make sure I ordered what I needed to replace both drive shafts.

Sorry for the confusion.

Will-
Ghostrider304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #18

The MIP comes wity two and their really nice a lot of people use them
JShetler122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Honcho Upgrades - Newbee Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stupid Newbee Question hasbeen Tamiya XC/CC01 8 01-12-2010 04:35 PM
newbee question dustin keeler Tamiya Clod Buster 3 06-16-2008 10:05 PM
Newbee Esc Question TIMZKRAWLER Electronics 6 06-15-2007 11:58 AM