Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: RiverRiders SCX10 Honco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #1

Default RiverRiders SCX10 Honco

Went to the hobby store yesterday and bought me a Axial SCX10 Trail Honco.. So far for RTR i love it. Not big on the stock wheels though, not even beadlocks

Decided to open a thread on it to keep track on future mods as i go along with it. post pics soon not in a hurry since you all seen a stock scx10 already
RiverRider779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #2

Default Re: RiverRiders SCX10 Honco

Welcome to the club bud!
RubberSideDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Nice! Have fun driving it for a while...once the mod addiction begins you'll be working on it more than driving it.
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #4

Thanks guys.... yeah mod adiction has been set in. I have a list of things i want to do already and im sure more later i havent thought of lol
Old 08-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Congrats on the new rig. I think your first mod should be adding an "H" to your Honco. Lol, waiting for pics.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #6

Well heres some of my stock scx10 pics. all i done so far was remove the rubber stoppers on the shock shafts. Going to tractor supply monday check out what cool stuff they got for me to add accessories to it

Last edited by RiverRider779; 08-12-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #7

Old 08-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
RCC Addict

upgrades anybody??
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDROX97 View Post
upgrades anybody??
I would go with the standard, Aluminum front C-Hubs and Knuckles, steering link, rear lock outs, servo 250oz/in+ , quality hand wound 35t motor, BEC (Castle 10amp) eventually ESC (Brushed HH BR-XL, Brushless MMP)

This is just my opinion.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
RCC Addict

no... i ment what are the upgrades river rider was going to do.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDROX97 View Post
no... i ment what are the upgrades river rider was going to do.
Lol, my bad. Well I guess I have some ideas. :screwy:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
Old 08-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #12

Plan on doing everything mentioned and more. For now im just making it have more of a scale look.

Today i removed all the stickers and made a sleeping bag, and a bundle of fire wood.... Also bought a German sheperd to ride along in the back. Tomorrow headed to a craft/hobby store to find more stuff.

Also in the next few days i am going to make my own Interior for the cab, also my own fender wells. On a Scale truck i really hate looking threw it and dont like invisible interior...... So i will be taking care of all that soon.

Few pics as to what its at now.......

Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I would start with links and aluminum knuckles and servo horn first. You can also pull the bump stop from your shocks which is a free mod.
jray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jray View Post
I would start with links and aluminum knuckles and servo horn first. You can also pull the bump stop from your shocks which is a free mod.

Yeah bump stop was the first thing i did to this truck. Im doing what i can for now, i will put money into it later. It drives good in the flower beds and will be taking it out today or tomorrow to the lake and see how it does. also i have alot of aluminum servo horns and better servos. I kinda like to run things until they break then replace. everything im gonna have to order too =( hobby stores here sell the vehicle but carry noting for comp or scale crawlers

I found my metal sheet and cut me a peice out of it that is as wide as the truck and long. with this i am making the fender wells and the bottom. Which i am hoping it turns out ok. Its not going to be heavy btw

Old 08-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

unless you have $ burning a hole in your pocket it just makes sense to do as you said and not fix until it breaks. just running it and seeing how it does is probably the best thing to do for now. the stock rig is very forgiving - it's when you start beefing certain things that makes something else the weak spot until you can afford to replace all of it. the only thing that i would say do sooner than later is get some LocTite on your hardware and upgrade steering link to metal - since that piece bends like Gumby when steering in the rocks....but if you upgrade the link, the knuckles become the weak spot....then it's something else....then something else.....

dunno what kind of steel you have there for making your floor pan and wheel wells, but it just looks like it's gonna make your rig unnecessarily heavy (depends on the gauge i guess). i thought of doing the same thing with some steel plate (22 or 24 gauge i think), but decided last minute to make it all out of aluminum flashing to save a little weight since it wasn't really structural, just more of a debris stopper/aesthetic decision. i only kept the steel as the vertical wall for my wheel wells for strengthening up the shock towers a bit. then i started adding other steel bits and now my rig weighs 8.5lbs so what i'm getting to is that it may not seem like much, but when you start adding up all those added items you'll be surprised.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #16

Well I decided not to make the floor pan out of the metal i have. Its not to heavy but I know of a easier and better way called a Proline floor pan.

But for now i did relocate the front bumper up above the frame rails were it sits better with the body, doesnt look so low like it did. all i used was servo mounts the honcho came with extra. Also added my aluminum servo horn i had layin around in the tool box.

For more scale look i put in an Axe and a Lattern hangin off the rear cage.

Tomorrow i am fitting the metal steering rods onto the truck, needs minor work it is off of a RS10 ill make it fit.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #17

RS10 Steering links installed... Since its daylight out i will take pics of what ive done with the truck, My phone takes crappy pics at night. Also debating on lifting the truck up a 1/4 inch or so. and running my 2.2 proline bead lock rims and the stock RS10 tires. looks good with them on but to low for those tires.

Cant decide keep it as is or lift it and run bigger tires.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #18

here is some pics showing my bumper on were it sits now and my steering links off the rs10

Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 AM   #19

OK........ So i got bored and I lifted her up. I drilled holes on the shock mounts closer to the frame (Planning on getting the HR Aluminum shock mounts, So no big deal) and threw my 2.2 proline bead lock wheels and stock rs10 tires (4.85 inches tall).......... It actually looks better then i thought. Buuutttttt I do like the 1.9 stockers little better then what it is now. Threw out some rocks on the edge of the fench in the backyard earlier today, I took it for a run lifted on bigger and wider tires. Well its climbed over the rocks better and i never rolled the truck. May stay this way for a while

Also read up on a thread how to set the stock esc and now i am able to run my 7 cell nimh batteries and longer run times since the cut off for the lipo is turned off now

Few more pics.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #20

Next up is aluminum links and 4 link the front.... notice the rear axle when i get stuck moving foward and back and watched the plastic links bending as it did... so yeah out with the plastic,

RiverRiders SCX10 Honco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RiverRiders RS10 Build RiverRider779 Redcat Crawlers 16 08-19-2012 12:31 AM
Yes, another SCX10 Honco, with lights... fbuonpensiero Axial SCX-10 7 09-07-2010 06:19 AM