Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dingo Hard Top - My first adventure with Styrene

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dingo Hard Top - My first adventure with Styrene

A while back I built my first RC kit My first kit - Dingo Defender and since then I've been adding some scale updates and upgrades (shackles, towhooks, pull pal, CMS, etc...).

The one thing about my Dingo that's always kinda rubbed me the wrong way is the sloped back rollcage. I played around with brazing up a full length, squared off safari style rollcage but after seeing CogFounder's truck cab on his Dingo I knew I had to build a topper. So, like any other idiot who has never done anything with styrene I decided to build a full length topper and try to make my Dingo look as much like a D90 as I could. My goals for the build were:
1-Look Scale
2-Be Tough and be able to take a beating (as much as styrene can)

I went and watched a bunch of youtube videos to learn what I could about styrene, bought the thickest styrene I could find (.080) and then started up an email conversation with CogFounder about my idea and asking for tips/tricks/etc... I must say without his help this would never have happened (I probably emailed him 20 times with different questions and he always pointed me in the right direction!..so a big thanks! ).

Not knowing what I was doing, I figured the hardest part would be the curves at the top of the roof so before I started cutting anything, I decided to tackle that first. Since I keep tons of spare parts for my sprinkler system, I decided to use PVC pipe for the roof curves (this is where being a newbie helped, I never even questioned whether or not you could bond PVC and Styrene together).

Next I cut out my estimation of what the side should look like and attached the roof curve

I figured out where I wanted the side windows, cut holes in the corners (thanks CF!), scribed the windows and then popped them out

Last edited by BubbaEinstein; 08-11-2012 at 04:05 PM.
BubbaEinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Dingo Hard Top - My first adventure with Styrene

After a LOT of filing (so far the only tools I had where an x-acto knife and a steel file) I had both sides roughly built. I taped them to the side of the Dingo where the looked vertical, measured the distance between, and cut and attached the rear roof section

Now that the sides and the rear roof were done, I started on what I though would be THE hardest part...the compond curves of the front roof section. I took a scrap piece of styrene and tried different methods of bending it (boiling water, scoring ) but nothing worked better than a stick lighter (I've since learned that a candle works even better because you don't have to hold it...I guess I'll use that on my next adventure). Usint the lighter I was able to get a decent representation of the front roof section:

Being confident that I could repeat my success, I measured the front roof section and marked where the bends should be

I build a jig and bent both sides of the roof

After a lot of filing and test fitting, I was able to fit the front roof section to the rest of the topper

Last edited by BubbaEinstein; 08-11-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I built the front of the topper to wrap around the Dingo rollcage nice and tight (for strength/help in a rollover). I also built the sides right up against the rollcage (same reason) so now I needed to figure out how to get the sides to stay snug against the rollcage.

I built four tabs out of joined styrene

R&R'd the topper a bunch of times measuring depth so they would snap in just right and wrap around the lip of the Dingo body.

The way I've placed the tabs allows them to support the sides (vertical load transfers directly to the Dingo body) and the also butt up against the front and rear lip of the Dingo "bed" area so that the top actually "snaps" in place

Next I cut out a piece for the rear

Once I had that fitting good, I traced it and make another piece to go behind it so that in combination with the rear piece I would have a good "rollbar" for the rear of the topper

Last edited by BubbaEinstein; 08-11-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So far I had the sides, very front and rear of the topper secured up against the body/rollcage for durability. My next step was to strengthen the topper as much as possible and tie the rest of the roof into the rollcage.

I made some roof joists

Added a backbone for the rear part of the roof and some support ribs to strengthen the front of the roof and tie it's support into the rear part

Next I used some styrene to figure out exactly how much to shim the supports so that when installed, all of the supports were touching the rollcage along it's full length and width

I added large runs of styrene to the trusses (shimmed to the correct depth) and thin strips along the roof seams (where the PVC bends are)

When installed, the entire topper is wrapped around and in contact with the rollcage and body. I really made an effort to make sure that as much as possible any impact would be spread across a large area. I realize styrene isn't very strong, but I think I've done as much as possible to give it a fighting chance.

Last edited by BubbaEinstein; 08-11-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Next I put what would end up as the rear window section on and took a picture. I loaded up the picture in PaintShop Pro and began expirementing with different window opening designs. I came up with 10 combinations and narrowed it down to this:

I printed the image (would have helped if I had full ink tanks) making sure to choose 1:1 in the pring settings and then transferred the measurements from image to the rear window piece

I cut the windows out

After looking at the rear and side windows, I just didn't like the square edges (this is where never having done this bites you) so I cut out 18 little styrene squares and glued them to all of the square window openings so I would have something to grind down into a curve

After ginding all the openings it looked better but still not great. I talked to CogFounder and he hooked me up with the idea of using a combination of styrene C channel and I beams to finish off the window openings. It really gives it a nice, clean appearance.

Next came tons of painting/sanding/filling over and over

Final coat of paint and adding windows and I was done

Last edited by BubbaEinstein; 08-11-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Now that the topper was done and with a new appreciation for styrene, I decided to build a tire/fuel carrier. I took a piece of styrene and cut 2 holes in it so that it could slide on the bumper

I held the tire up, marked where I though it's center should be then cut out the carrier (leaving a tab for a fuel carrier)

I built a fuel carrier to attach to the tire carrier

Painted it black and slid it on the bumper

PS - That's one of CogFounder's custom fuel cells

Looking back I'd tell anyone to give this a shot. If you're half decent and making stuff with your hands all it really takes is some good advice and patience. Here's what I learned:

1- Measure 5 times then cut once
2- Make EVERY effort to cut your pieces as accurately as possible...filling gaps sucks and sanding them down and getting things smooth is a PITA
3- It's easier to make a round curve square than a square round
4- Don't install tiny detail pieces (in my case the window trim c channel and i-beams) until you are finished with all your sanding/body filling

Last edited by BubbaEinstein; 08-11-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Now for the action shots

Last edited by BubbaEinstein; 08-11-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Glad I could help, Bubba. Great write-up too.

But I have to tell you, Ya really knocked this project out of the ball park!!!

Looks fantastic, and like you have been working
with styrene your whole life. You got some skills Bro.

There is going to be a market wide shortage of
styrene after people see this and start buying it
up to try stuff, knowing this is how things can turn
out on a guys first try......

Amazing work.

I realy like how you opened up the topper with the windows, so you can still see the details in the rear of the truck. Any scale items you put back there will easily be seen.
cogfounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

The top looks great
Chiodo322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #10

Amazing work! I thought styrene was difficult to work with... But then again, I'm a noob. I would like to throw a camper onto the '79 F-150 build I'm planning out and this process would really help me with that.
AxialSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

That is some fantastic work,would have never thought about using the rounded edge of pvc pipe.I have a bunch of it and am now rethinking all the toppers I had put off because of how to create the edge,but that has now changed thanks to your idea.....
kuatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Nice job on that roof, Bubba. Finishes off the Dingo nicely.
Not quite sure why you cut the back windows square and then added pieces in the corners. Easier to cut the opening at 45 degrees in the corners and Dremel the curves, wouldn't it?

Or is that number three in your "what I've learned" list?
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yes that was a lesson learned
Old 08-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Super Work, Looks Great
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Wow! Great job. Nice think'n out of the box on those corner pieces in the rear windows.
juswin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Killer job Bubba...looks awesome!
Trim around the windows really sets it off
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #17

that's a fantastic first try! thanks for the confidence to at least try this in the near future.
user.name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

it came out great, you guys make it look sooo easy. I say throw the wraith interior set in there and its a wrap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGPauzCeILU
KauseKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauseKaos View Post
it came out great, you guys make it look sooo easy. I say throw the wraith interior set in there and its a wrap.

AXIAL SCX-10 Dingo with Axial Wraith's Interior - YouTube
Thanks i never thought it would fit but now I'll have to check it out!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #20

for your first time that looks great , guess i need to take something on and try it
JohnBoy99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dingo Hard Top - My first adventure with Styrene - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial dingo kit (adventure series) mud_life_19 Videos! 1 12-28-2011 08:46 PM
Iowa Ultimate Adventure / Top Truck Challenge DeweyCJ5 Iowa 17 12-06-2009 02:39 PM
Hard top HPI Bronco for UTRCRC Adventure IV Just Zach Axial SCX-10 19 09-26-2009 10:23 PM
My first adventure in the world of styrene... goldmember Scale Accessories 2 08-28-2009 11:11 PM