Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Driveshaft Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Driveshaft Q's

I tore the driveshafts out of my AX-turned-SCX-10 tuesday and had to replace both of them. I have been running a variation of the Stampede driveshaft mod for years now and discivered that the steel Traxxas output yokes are starting to egg out, especially the ones on the trans rear output. The ones on here have been to hell and back more times than I can remember, but I'm not sure if I want to just buy replacements for the Traxxas outdrives or switch to the Wild Boar 8's or MIP CVD's.. You guys have any suggestions?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Can't go wrong with mips Build em right, they're tough and reliable. Wb8's can work well too though depending on combination of power and trigger finger.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have abused my MIPs with minimal issues. But am amazed at the abuse the Traxxas shafts can take. Also they are a great "weak link" in the drivetrain.
jonboyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Driveshaft Q's

Guess I should also say that the truck is running an AE2 ESC, Vejom 5000mAh 9.6v hump pack, old Trinity 21t Monster Maxx 550 motor, is geared.90/14 (IIRC), and is rolling on foamless M2 1.9" Flat Irons and undrill Axial kit beadlocks that are unweighted for now.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I ended up ordering the MIP's, he store manager was doing special orders when I got there and with my employee discount, the MIP's were only a couple bucks more than the WB8's.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I've got MIPs in my rig and WB8s in my daughter's truck, can't really go wrong with either. Just keep your trigger finger in check and either are great.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Inc View Post
I've got MIPs in my rig and WB8s in my daughter's truck, can't really go wrong with either. Just keep your trigger finger in check and either are great.
agreed, I have the MIP's in my SCX and the WB8s in the wraith. really suprised how well the WB8s are holding up in the Wraith. and i'm not easy on either truck.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

That's good to here, I've never been easy on this truck and I figured the stronger the better with my trigger finger.........chances are my next post after installing them is that I need to trans outputs......... The rear yoke is so bad that if it were on my 1/1 Cherokee, it would probably have blown up on my drive to work this morning, especially since I had been running late................
Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I've ended up with MIPs on almost all my rigs. The old Axial stock plastic just plain suck. The JunFacs just never seem to stay together no matter how much threadlock you put on there. Punishers are heavy, loud, expensive, and I've managed to destroy 2 of them. The WBs are a worthwhile option if MIPs aren't available, but otherwise it's plastic VS metal.

And yep, outdrives will be next. I started switching to the Axial steels, but busted one of those on my FOFF so now I'm switching over to Robinson 1 piece as I break em.
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
RCC Addict

For some I always have to throw in my $.02 on these threads. All for of my Rigs run MIP's. I won't even put a rig out in the field without MIP supporting it.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I would think a strong drive line is good idea. I would like to figure out the cheapest weak link to have it give than breaking the most expensive parts. Just a thought I'd throw in.
juswin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
For some I always have to throw in my $.02 on these threads. All for of my Rigs run MIP's. I won't even put a rig out in the field without MIP supporting it.
Here is another 2cents brother!

MIP's all the way for me as well!

MIP still manufactures the center drive shafts for AX10/SCX10's but have discontinued the universal CVD's for the wheels.

I guess axial's version with a ring maintaining the pin in place rather than a setscrew like MIP looks to be the more simpler & popular version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juswin24 View Post
I would think a strong drive line is good idea. I would like to figure out the cheapest weak link to have it give than breaking the most expensive parts. Just a thought I'd throw in.
I've always wondered about this as well. I have Robinson gears in the tranny, hardened overdrive gears in axles, MIP center drives, steel outdrives and no slipper clutch.

I figure i'd keep the original plastic spur gear so if rig gets caught in a bind the first thing break would be the $5 gear. It would be the cheapest to replace and quite easy as well.
Lobonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

MIP's or nothin! Don't even waist your money on any other drive shafts.
Honchoforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobonyc View Post
I figure i'd keep the original plastic spur gear so if rig gets caught in a bind the first thing break would be the $5 gear. It would be the cheapest to replace and quite easy as well.

I'll take a blown out $3-$5 spur gear over any of the other options any day. I know the LHS has those in stock. Been seriously considering switching over to 32p gearing and adding the slipper clutch. Just a thought, LOL.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I usually try to keep the spur gear as the "fuse" in the drivetrain on everything, I work for a hobby shop and usually try to explain to people that whole theory (on Maxx's and Revo's in particular), but not all get it. My truck was converted over to a slipper years ago, so it's good there. I still need to put straight axles on the back and should look at cv's for the front at some point too, but my 1/1 XJ really needs more TLC than this one since I need to do some work on it before winter gets here.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well, the CVD's were waiting for me at when I got to work! Gonna try and build then install them after work.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Do these things need any lube for the slider portions? They almost seem to slide like they're teflon coated.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Do these things need any lube for the slider portions? They almost seem to slide like they're teflon coated.
I leave that part dry. Suspension doesn't travel much and it stays smooth.. Grease/oil will only attract dirt and make it worse.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Got it put together and it seems to work good for what little driving I've done with it and here's a pic of that bad Traxxas output yoke....happy the one on my 1/1 XJ isn't like this!

Driveshaft Q's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A few Q's rapttor Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 11 08-02-2011 02:41 PM
1.55 q's blakeski General Scale Talk 2 09-05-2010 12:02 PM
just a few Q's tdodm Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 05-13-2008 06:54 PM
a few Q's NoobCrawler Newbie General 2 12-15-2007 10:58 PM
new here with a few Q's gasshead Newbie General 7 08-04-2006 10:48 PM