Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: new to all this.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #1

Default new to all this.

ive been checking this board out for a couple weeks. been watching crawling videos on youtube and decided to buy me my first rc. i got scx10 used ,but cant wait for it to get here tuesday. let me know of first mods i should check out.

ive been lookin at gear head rear shock relocation, gear head 4 link truss, links, powerstroke shocks, flat iron tires, gear head 2.0 bamf wheels.

i bought a onyx 235 charger and two 7.4v lipo 5000mah battteries.

Last edited by hntruckman; 08-17-2012 at 08:23 AM.
hntruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: new to all this.

i would go to the stickies and read through them.. that is the first thing...
Tips and Tricks Thread

then when you get it and you do the freebie mods.. and dont feel like it has enough power or too much power read
What powers your SCX10?

then if you want it to have a look.. look at the picture archive...

that should get you started..
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #3

ive looked through tips and tricks. i know ill check shocks for bump stops. i know this one has a castle esc and 27t motor and dean plug and wild boar drive shafts.

Last edited by hntruckman; 08-17-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #4

Like to say Welcome to the Forums and great choice in what you picked. I have other Crawlers but a week ago i picked up a scx10 rtr from the hobby store and in its stock form i love it better then my comp crawler. I started a thread on mine since day one of purchasing it. Keep track of what i have been doing to it and see what others think or their helpful tips and advice as i go along. I have done few things to mine but nothing expensive........ Yet lol. But while ur waiting for urs just go around going threw peoples posts and pick up some ideas as i have been.
RiverRider779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #5

yea ive been just surfing through a lot of posts. ill prolly post pics of mine and progress of mine in here once it comes in. you know i just went and checked yours out and i remember looking at it before cause thats where i got the idea that first thing i would do is pull the stickers off. i may paint a different color too, like a burnt orange.

Last edited by hntruckman; 08-17-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #6

pulling the stickers off makes it look so much better, im thinking of painting my body aswell on the outside and using the stock silver to make it look like metal showing when it gets scratched... Just got done driving it in the backyard i am building some what of a small course back there... I really am loving the 2.2 rims and larger and wider tires. I know ill switch around between sizes but its doing great doesnt roll over so easy on obsticals and goes over alot more. Cant wait to see ur scx10, great choice and ur gonna love it.
RiverRider779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

welcome to the forum and congrats on the scx10 purchase. i always say you just can't go wrong buying the scx10 it's a great first time platform to work with it has a lot of potential.

all the mods you mentioned that you are considering to get sound good to start with. you say you bought it used? is it stock used? lol when you get it just use the rig the way it is for a while and you'll figure out what you really want to get for it and how you want it to perform.
SAVED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #8

yea its pretty stock except for castle esc and deans plug. its 3 months old guy lost interest.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Free mod: Redrill the rear mount posts with a 1/16" bit. Will be so much easier to get the pins out. First thing I did

Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #10

thanks for the tip ill look into it when it comes in.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #11

well came in yesterday. this thing is awesome. your right about redrilling the holes thats needed. i can also see why metal links would be much better, so i ordered those this morning.

also ordered
pro line flat iron
axial beadlock wheel
wheel weights

Last edited by hntruckman; 08-21-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

This is all personal preference but i like running thicker shock oil to slow down the suspension. For me it makes it way more predictable and keeps the tires planted.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

read through the tips thread, ill give you my greatest hits

i built my own links with 8-32 all thread, 1/4" od brake line and traxxas revo rod ends, work great but kinda time consuming

good 35 turn motor (integy, tekin or holmes) from better to best

remove the battery tray and order a smaller lipo like a 1500-2200mah battery and run it sidways between the front body mounts and the motor. there is an angel of the chassis it can sit on and you can fab up a plate or buy one. something like this for your electronics

Aluminum battery and electronic tray Axial Honcho SCX10 | eBay

you see you move the electronics low and the battery low it will really help the handling.

I know you ordered the axial beadlocks, I would highly reccomend aluminum rims, plastic rims can strip hexes.

next would be mip drive shafts, the stock ones twist and break

I would upgrade to 3s lipo when you buy batteries I am running 2200mah 30c lipo in mine

add a castle bec that is always a good thing to make the electronics better

add a higher gear to the front axle it is the one that is 14/36
this will overdrive the front end and make it overall a better truck

get some crawler inovations foams for you tires

next would be high clearance steering setup, many choices out there I went with a ace ds1015 servo, axial high clearence hubs, and axial upgraded steering links and a dynamite 25t servo horn, and I have also done cvd axles in the front.

Start with the free mods first, but I would say most important is tires, steering and then center of gravity

I am running pit bull tires with crawler inovation dual stage foams soft front med rear that fit a 4.5" tire

Hope that helps

Last edited by bigemike; 08-21-2012 at 08:26 PM.
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I hope you really enjoy it. Ive just started my builds in the last couple of months. There is a whole lot of info here. Subscribe to threads to help sort out ideas.
juswin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #15

thanks for the info. i have one question what would be a list of bolts and screws to always have on hand?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hntruckman View Post
thanks for the info. i have one question what would be a list of bolts and screws to always have on hand?
U definitely want locktite.. Side from that.. Look over your rig.. Shouldnt b too hard to figure out... I dont have any extras.... Must be doing it wrong... Hah

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote