Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Any performance benefits to Gear Head’s shock relocation kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #1

Default Any performance benefits to Gear Head’s shock relocation kit?

Ok so I have been thinking about trying out this new shock relocation kit for my SCX10. I like the scale looks but are there really any performance benefits or draw backs that this kit has?

Last edited by Harley; 08-22-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: removing links
TW31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Any performance benefits to Gear Head’s shock relocation kit?

You will get increased articulation, which may not always be a good thing. For example, i have a custom mount in my build and i need to limit it because i have more articulation than a comp crawler which is bad for the big body im running. If you have the materials you could simply use angle iron like i did and make it your self.
a2hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #3

Yeah that’s what I had in mind making it myself. I just wanted to get some opinions from people who have or had something similar to this. I figured that there would be more flex but how much would be the question. I suppose it depends on the size of tires and shocks as well.

I pulled my G-Transitions shocks off of my Wraith just to try out on the SCX10 and I have them in the Droop setting. It’s helped a lot with it being top heavy but still has great travel downwards. I will be getting these shocks for the SCX so I am wondering if I relocate the shocks will it lower it too much and cause rubbing again.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It depends on how hight you can mount it, but for me it did lower it quite a bit, so i had to get the 110mm shocks to pick me up high enough. not sure if that helps you or not
Old 08-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #5

The cool thing about the G-Transition shocks is that they are 90mm in droop setting and 107mm in sprung. I guess if I do this I may need to reset them in the rear to sprung so I hope 107mm will be enough………………………only one way to find out lol
The Horde RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Let us know what you come up with and some pics would be cool to so we can get an idea of your set up, if possible of course
Old 08-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW31 View Post
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][COLOR=white]Ok so I have been thinking about trying out this new shock relocation kit for my SCX10. I like the scale looks but are there really any performance benefits or draw backs that this kit has?
i decided one day to mount my shocks with a very similar setup....now it's back to stock.

sure, it looked slightly more scale since that's how you'd see triangulated shocks on a leaf-spring vehicle, but had too many drawbacks for me. the setup isn't really ideal for coilover shock setup and gives you so much flex over stock that you might be finding yourself upside down more than you'd like. also, it negatively affected side-hilling capabilities.

this is only MY take from triangulated rear susp - get the kit and see how YOU like it since suspension setup is very subjective to the user.

Last edited by Harley; 08-22-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #8

Well I would post some pics but then I would have to pay (I know not that expensive but still) and I hate dealing with photo bucket. I usually post all my stuff on The Horde RC | Facebook . I’ve been a member here for a while now but I checked those guys out because they are kind of local to me but no one on their site had this kit yet so they directed me here which I thought was cool.
Most people would blow smoke up you’re bum trying to make themselves look like they know what they are talking about but they said they didn’t know and that I should check here. PLUS IT’S FREE and don’t have to worry about posting links n all that.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I've seen a well known builder on here describe a similar setup as a floppy mess...like Hefner without the little blue pills floppy.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
I've seen a well known builder on here describe a similar setup as a floppy mess...like Hefner without the little blue pills floppy.
Lmao, that's a good one
Superbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #11

I got mine yesterday and installed it today. I have a level 3 rc lift kit on it and it seems it is still level with the stock shocks mounted. Going to take it out the week for some hill climbing and some side hills to see how it works so far in the yard I am happy with the articulation. But I would like some feedback from other members to see how it works for them.
merlexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I just ordered mine last Friday so it should be here soon to test I'm actually gonna use it for clearance issues since the stock shock towers hit the drop bed hilux body.
liftmys10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

To answer the OP's question, Yes, it articulates alot more compared to stock setup. It came in today by mail and easy to install if you have the stock shocks and the stock 4link truss.... I have Losi crawler shocks which are wider in diameter and the R2J 4link truss which angles the pumpkin so much that you almost cant mount the locknut at the bottom of the shocks. But with minor tweaking, I was able to make it work, and man this setup works way better than stock setup with the same suspension components.

Last edited by liftmys10; 09-17-2012 at 11:23 PM.
liftmys10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, scx10

Any performance benefits to Gear Head’s shock relocation kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gear Head RC SCX10 Rear Shock Relocation Kit Gear Head RC Chassis and Suspension 11 01-28-2013 04:08 AM
Gear Head RC SCX10 Rear Shock Relocation Kit ridgecrest78 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 3 08-09-2012 03:14 AM
***Giveaway*** Gear Head RC SCX10 Rear Shock Relocation Kit! Ends Fri. 6/8/12 Gear Head RC Axial SCX-10 109 06-08-2012 09:13 PM
Gear Head RC SCX10 Rear Shock Relocation Kit RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-31-2012 02:47 PM