Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: strange motor issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default strange motor issues

Ok this all started back around the 4 th of July while wheeling at the lake. My scx10 honcho runs the traxxas xl5 esc and titan 12t motor. Been running this set up for over a year. Truck started acting like battery(traxxas 7.4v 4000 25c) was dead and was very sluggish. Charge the battery and it would only charge like 10-15 min. Truck was still sluggish. Figured battery was not holding its charge. Bought a new battery, a 5600 7.4v 70c. Charged it and still same sluggish power but after a few minutes the throttle response became intermittent. Truck would surge to full power then power down to a crawl. After a few minutes of that it just quit. That motor had some hours on it so I swapped in a new spare 12t. Same symptoms and it got hot a also quit. So then I thought that while at the lake I got it very wet several times and thought maybe it was the esc. It to was old with several hard hours on it. Bought a new esc, another xl5 and another 12t. Still same thing. Motor worked for a while then went south. Now it's intermittent, sometimes one direction works but not the other then the other way around. So then I think my receiver or controls are on the fritz. I'm running the ax3 axial control.

Heres the kicker, say I try to reverse and it won't do anything. If I hold the throttle full reverse and spray a dash of wd-40 in the motor it will work for a bit. If you set the truck with all 4 wheels off the ground and throttle it its still sluggish. nowhere near full wheel speed. Keep it pinned and hit the motor with WD-40 and it will ramp up for maybe 5 seconds before falling on its face.

Any ideas? I am lost right now. Got a lot of money in parts with no fix in sight.
93-12smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: strange motor issues

not sure if i can really help, but some things that i'd check out is: ESC like you've already done, check TX to make sure it's all good, possibly install a BEC to eliminate servo draw from equation, etc. are the batteries in your TX still good?
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Possibly the RX is messed up. if its not sending/receiving the proper signals this could happen. And since thats the only thing you havnt tried replacing i would put my money there ;)
a2hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Transmitter got new batteries too.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Why would spraying wd40 on the motor make a difference if it's a transmitter problem?
Also, no drive line binding.

Last edited by 93-12smoke; 08-22-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Have you tried replacing/checking the receiver? Not the transmitter.. if you got the RX wet it could have fried something. Unless of course you had it in a waterproof box and not possible, otherwise thats the only thing you havnt replace/tried according to OP.

If its intermittent you wouldnt be able to tell weather it caused an issue or not, plus i dont think wd40 is good for the motor regardless, not bad, you just shouldnt do it. atleast from the things ive read.

Try replacing the rx, or move channels if possible. see if throttle is sane on another channel if you can.
a2hill is offline   Reply With Quote

strange motor issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange stock motor differences? smitty808 Redcat Crawlers 4 07-26-2012 10:24 PM
Strange issues losikid Electronics 17 09-25-2011 12:16 PM
Motor Issues megaherz Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 10 06-30-2010 07:14 PM
motor issues solomon7 Electronics 2 01-20-2009 06:42 AM
Very strange motor/axle issue markturbo Tamiya Clod Buster 4 10-08-2008 04:54 PM