Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Best Suspension Setup???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #1

Default Best Suspension Setup???

Looking for a good setup on my dingo. Want it to be soft and have as much flex as possible for crawling. All opinions are appreciated. Just not happy with the stock setup, even after taking the oil out and replacing it with less and cutting the bump stops out.
LBrown867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Best Suspension Setup???

longer shocks will be a good factor proline makes scaler shocks that are 90mm 10mm longer than stock axial and wont leak like axials do you do want shock oil tho to keep suspention travel smooth and when hiting somthing hard it doesnt bottom out and cause extra wear and damage on parts and depends if your 1.9 or 2.2
EvanSouders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #3

Are they soft so it will soak up as opposed to tip over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanSouders View Post
longer shocks will be a good factor proline makes scaler shocks that are 90mm 10mm longer than stock axial and wont leak like axials do you do want shock oil tho to keep suspention travel smooth and when hiting somthing hard it doesnt bottom out and cause extra wear and damage on parts and depends if your 1.9 or 2.2
Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

yea but shocks wont prevent a tip over tuning them till you have them they way you want will help and good driving helps
EvanSouders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I run the losi comp crawler shock's. All aluminum, threaded shock bodies 4" long. Soft white spring's and work much better than the stock shock's in my opnion and can be had for like 47$ if i remember correctly.
urnot2brightru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

More articulation won't necessarily help. There's alot of trial and error when it comes to suspension tuning, per toy truck per driver. Still haven't dialed in a couple rigs of mine, more practice and tuning required.

Also don't forget down travel can be just as or more important than up travel
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #7

are they worth the money or should I just stick with the stockers and replace the springs with softer ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanSouders View Post
yea but shocks wont prevent a tip over tuning them till you have them they way you want will help and good driving helps
Old 08-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
RCC Addict

The C.O.A.T. SCX10 build
Go look at the bottom of the page. I got 6 1/2" of flex. but make sure you support the top of the shocks, so they dont move, and wreck the cross member. you will see i did with a peice of aluminum.

Oh ya! and remember to take the soft short springs out, and crank the adjuster nut all the way down so it doesnt hit the frame for maxinmum flexx
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I swapped out the standard medium springs for soft and get good articulation with the factory shocks. Well worth the $8 for the springs.
Scott105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #10

What is your setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDROX97 View Post
The C.O.A.T. SCX10 build
Go look at the bottom of the page. I got 6 1/2" of flex. but make sure you support the top of the shocks, so they dont move, and wreck the cross member. you will see i did with a peice of aluminum.

Oh ya! and remember to take the soft short springs out, and crank the adjuster nut all the way down so it doesnt hit the frame for maxinmum flexx
Old 08-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Go to the bottom of the 3rd page, and you should see the triangle flex shots and stuff.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #12

What shocks and springs are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDROX97 View Post
Go to the bottom of the 3rd page, and you should see the triangle flex shots and stuff.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Ive done mod after mod and spent dollar after dollar and the truck runs like ass. Then I go back to stock and all of a sudden, the rig turns into a super hero! Mess with the weight balance of the rig, get your electronics up front and as low as you can, add some weight to the wheels and watch the stock suspension come alive!!! Oh, and too much flex looks pretty but is pretty bad on the trail. Try goin up a steep incline with your shocks mounted in the middle and watch it roll over backwards every time. Rule of thumb that works for me and many others is to be able to flex the height of the tire your running, not much more and def. not less. If you want to deviate from stock, I have been havin a TON of success using AX10 shocks and internal springs on both sides of the plunger. It takes time to get the spring rates right but once you do you can enjoy a little extra flex, climb like a mountain goat and sidehill like said goat LOL. Oh...and learn how to drive. I cant stress that enough. Ive seen box stock honchos (non G8 Irons and all) take out $1000 rigs with ease, its all about the nut behind the trigger. Best of luck!!!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrown867 View Post
What shocks and springs are you running?
Stockers. Its a little stiff, could go for some softer ones.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

66sprint6 is right. the stock shocks are decent when set up right. shock angle make a big difference on how the stock shocks handle. on my honcho i moved the rear shock hoop forward to the dingo mounting holes. it let me lay the shocks down a bit more forward. red spring and axial alumunuim shocks half filled with 30wt oil i can compete with some of the better trucks out there. other mods are jsut the 4 link rear and 3 link front.
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

practice driving it!! These rigs are amazing out of the box, you don't have to spend every last $ to be the best! In one of DJ Medic's videos his heavily modified rig is beaten easily by his gf's stock honcho! However if your still looking for softer springs try these:

RC4WD Rock Crawler Soft Spring & Delrin Slider | eBay

George014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
...and learn how to drive. I cant stress that enough. Ive seen box stock honchos (non G8 Irons and all) take out $1000 rigs with ease, its all about the nut behind the trigger. Best of luck!!!
Matt
Love it! Well said.
juswin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #18

I already changed the shock oil and put 30 wt oil 3/4 full. Took the bumpstops out as well. The upper springs are soft but the lowers are mediums. I wheeled a little today and it did good but I think Im going to get softs for the lowers and give them a try. Anybody running a droop kit that swares it helps with crawling? Is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juswin24 View Post
Love it! Well said.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I have my rear shocks super raked with a relocation plate I made, and it worked very well for a while

However, my shocks have gone out or something because it performs not as well and has horrible torque twist and it used to have very little. I've been meaning to take them apart and mess with them
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

As said alot of it comes down to the driver, I run Losi comp shocks with white springs on my SCX-10 with a 4-link rear ive also lowered my battery tray and run my electrics at the rear..

Also are you running weight in your wheels? If not id do this 1st as its makes a big differance for better IMO..
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote

Best Suspension Setup??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension setup help please kurtus RC4WD Trail Finder 2 5 03-22-2012 09:20 AM
suspension setup? cliffdawg Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 04-11-2010 10:00 AM
Suspension setup help Joush Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 12 08-03-2009 09:16 PM
Suspension Setup Steve182 Tamiya CR-01 2 09-10-2008 12:35 PM
My suspension setup fetish General Crawlers 4 10-15-2007 05:31 PM