Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: drive shafts for modified scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

Default drive shafts for modified scx10

I recently scratch made some shock towers for my axial. I made the sit lower to to the frame so that I could clean it up to start a scale flatbed for the truck off those mounts I made. Now the problem I'm having is that the truck sits nice and high but its just to tall by a little bit. I don't want to make new mounts and make it lower. I've tried the stampede cvds like I've read on here before but they are to short by maybe a 1/4 on an inch from not flying apart on the trail and the MIP shafts don't even come close (atleast the ones I've tried any suggestions?
creaturecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: drive shafts for modified scx10

search "maxx shafts made easy"
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Junfac also make some longer shafts that you can use.
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Wraith shafts or RC4WD Punisher shaft would probably do the trick.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaturecrawler View Post
I've tried the stampede cvds like I've read on here before but they are to short by maybe a 1/4 on an inch from not flying apart on the trail
if you already have a bag of the stampedes, simply splice a longer one together -- use 2 male sides and glue a section of a female shaft to one of the males = longer shaft i had to do this to my rear shaft when i ran them on my 12.5" wb Honcho.

also, if you just lifted your rig w/o modding the links, you can gain back a little driveshaft space if you adjust the links and set the pinion at a better angle.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
if you already have a bag of the stampedes, simply splice a longer one together -- use 2 male sides and glue a section of a female shaft to one of the males = longer shaft i had to do this to my rear shaft when i ran them on my 12.5" wb Honcho.

also, if you just lifted your rig w/o modding the links, you can gain back a little driveshaft space if you adjust the links and set the pinion at a better angle.
This is what I did when I stretched my scx10 to fit the jeep body
chartrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post

Did you cut the drive shafts with just a hobby knife? How well do the hold up?
creaturecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #8

id like to know more about this myslefe, i lifted my honcho using the lift kit
by level3 rc and now my drive shaft angle is to steep and it is binding. need ideas on how to fix the problem. do i need new drive shafts, can i change the angle of the diff and still use the original links set, or should i lower it back down a bit?
EbonyNinja636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaturecrawler View Post
Did you cut the drive shafts with just a hobby knife? How well do the hold up?
just used a utility knife w/new or sharp blade. cuts plastic/delrin like butter. i glued the one side together as well as anchored a small screw just in case. worked just fine until i replaced it with MIPs (which I shoulda just gotten in the first place since it's only like $15 more, is superior in almost every way, and I had to mess with the d-shafts a 2nd time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyNinja636 View Post
id like to know more about this myslefe, i lifted my honcho using the lift kit
by level3 rc and now my drive shaft angle is to steep and it is binding. need ideas on how to fix the problem. do i need new drive shafts, can i change the angle of the diff and still use the original links set, or should i lower it back down a bit?
sounds like you need to change the length of your links to straighten out your pinion/driveshaft angle. dunno what links you're using, but stock plastic ones are not going to let you do this. You CAN adjust aftermarket links to a certain degree, but this will usually leave you with a slightly weak spot where there would now be a gap between link rod and rod end unless you have a spacer in place to fill the gap. better solution IMO would be to buy the stuff to DIY some links, then you can make them whatever length you want and you'll have plenty materials leftover for new links if you change the body etc. lowering it will obviously change the d-shaft angle as you have seen, but lowering it back down is completely up to you and would negate your reason for lifting it in the first place. you could also upgrade to a CV-style driveshaft, like an MIP or similar, since they are designed to not bind in slightly steeper angles
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote

drive shafts for modified scx10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 drive shafts demonut Axial SCX-10 4 05-23-2012 05:46 PM
MIP Drive Shafts for SCX10 jray Newbie General 9 08-15-2011 04:30 PM
scx10 drive shafts mikeman84 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 10-28-2010 05:18 PM