RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   Used Bearings ? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/404570-used-bearings.html)

rc dreemer 09-26-2012 11:51 AM

Used Bearings ?

all,
I put this here because it relates to a scx10 as opposed to just the general forum. My question is that I recently replaced the bearings from my scx10 & I was wondering if there is any kind of a "use" for the old bearings & wondered what others have done with the bearings after replacement? most are still "useable" just curious????? :roll:

thanks!"thumbsup"

mods: please feel free to move if needed:oops:

Perkolator 09-26-2012 02:07 PM

Re: Used Bearings ?

pretty much a no-brainer on this i'd say. unless the bearing is still useable and free-spinning, they are pretty much useless for any application other than paperweights. toss 'em in the recycle bin or do whatever you want.

scottl1346 09-26-2012 02:09 PM

well if there useable then why replace them in the first place. ever heard the saying if it isn't broke don't fix it.
throw the old ones away or save as spares.

stanmondz 09-26-2012 08:55 PM

i read on here about a guy that used bearings on his front axle shafts as weights. maybe try that if they will fit inside the axle housing

rc dreemer 09-27-2012 11:40 AM

well i replaced them because my rig had been in mud & water & they were over a year or so old. i wanted to "freshen up" the rig, hence bearing replacement - along with other "updates" too;-) for the most part all are not "worthy" of intended purpose use, but before i just tossed them i thought i would see if there was some type of "recycled purpose" for them that i may not know about."thumbsup". I guess I will just toss them then!:ror:

thanks,;-)

FauxMako 09-27-2012 01:03 PM

Get a cheap ultra sonic jewelry cleaner and throw them in there with some simple green or degreaser and let them soak/vibrate for a couple of hours. You'd be surprised how many bad bearings are just full of crap and once cleaned out work fine.

Doing this with brand new bearings isn't a bad idea either as lots of bearings ship with very think grease in them and getting that grease out and replacing with bearing/machine oils frees them up a lot.

stanmondz 09-27-2012 08:55 PM

or a rpm bearing blaster

WHITE-TRASH 09-28-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottl1346 (Post 3935609)
well if there useable then why replace them in the first place. ever heard the saying if it isn't broke don't fix it.
throw the old ones away or save as spares.

No kidding. I don't replace bearings till there is an issue. After mud and/or water crossings I'll pull them out and pop one side shield off to clean out the nasties and put fresh grease in there. If there is damage to them THEN they get replaced. No I don't think $25 for bearings is a big deal but I take pride in the fact that I can and will perform maintenance rather than just tossing cash away.

grob23 09-28-2012 11:04 AM

I'm hella sketchy, but I use old bearings for spacers sometimes. I just can't see throwing them away8)