Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Shorten wheelbase beyond 11.3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Shorten wheelbase beyond 11.3

I need to shorten my wheel base to between 9-10" to fit a body and make it look scale. What's the best way ? Just make my own links and new upper mounts for the shocks ? I haven't been able to find many threads on this the few I did say you run into driveline problems with it this short.
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Shorten wheelbase beyond 11.3

Long story short, you will definitely have driveline issues with your pinion angles. To keep them from binding you would have to almost angle the axles aiming at the ground instead of straight out. If you are trying to use a smaller body with a 9" wheel base maybe look into getting a MRC rig and modding it to work with that size body. I wouldnt use an SCX10 for a body that small (just my opinion) as it would really stop all performance levels of the rig just to look good. Ever hear the term "All Show and NO Go!" Good luck. By the way what body are you trying to use, lets see a pic.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

ACTIVE HOBBY AC302 Crawler LC80 Body Set : Banzai Hobby

It's going to be a copy of my 1:1 crawler. I mached up a few other chassis at the hobby store but the ones with the right wheel base are to narrow. What 1/10 scale would have a wheel base around 9" ?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Nothing 10th scale, sort of an in between scale. I would buy an MRC and make a set of frame rails that will fit your body with Delrin (you can use a cutting board)

It's actually easier than you may think, as Delrin drills and files easily. You can use SCX-10 rear shock hoops all around and screw them into the delrin frame. You'll be happy you did the custom work yourself. If you have a means of cutting Steel or aluminum, go ahead, but Delrin would be my suggestion for a first time custom build.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I did a Jeep TJ with a 9-3/4" wheelbase all built on a SCX10 chassis and axles. It can be done and the rig is a capable Class 1. Just tough to make any steep ledge climbs without pulling the winch.

Check out the build.
First Scale Rig "1.9 TJ Wrangler"
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Did you have any driveline issues on your Jeep build ? I assume it wheelies and flips backwards alot with the short wheel base ? I think I'm going to buy a honcho and just start cutting and see what happens. I have some derlin ordered so I'll try cutting the stock framerails and try building a set and see what works better. I want to run 2.2s but I don't think it will work it will be to tall and too tippy. What do you cut the derlin with ?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

2.2 on that short wheelbase is funny looking. 1.9 pitbulls was as big as I could run and look good, I now run 1.9 MTZ class 1 tires. It doesn't wheelie all that often, just have to drive it like a real 1:1. Drivelines pop under hard binding but never an issue. My pinion angles aren't that bad, I made my links and used that to adjust pinion angle.
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Does upgrading the shafts to MIP or another set of steel shafts help ?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

luke, you can mount this body on a tamiya cc-01 medium wheelbase version (landcruiser fj40 kit). Just extend the rear links a bit so the wb is 260mm

i was close to have this built, but didnt go ahead and sold everything LOL

[img]htt
prosavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I have a hardbodied TJ that is scx based. It sits at 10.25" for its wheelbase. I even slid my skid forward and I have no binding in my drivetrain. Just watch the length of the upper links as you shrink the wheelbase. That's what controls you pinion angles. The rear should be a piece of cake. It's the front end you'd need to be worried about.
sundayface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I Managed to get it to fit. At first I was going to take 1/2 from front and rear but it didn't sit on the bumpers right. I ended up bringing the rear in a full inch and shortening the lower links even more to tilt the axle up. My electronics came the day after I left for work so I have to wait 24 days to try it. I just pushed it along the floor to see how it felt and it doesn't seem to bind. The rear driveshaft was fully compressing though but there were enough extra parts in the kit to shorten it up and make it work. I have a tekin crawler 35t setup and a hitec 7954 coming for it so I'll just need to find an AX3 either used or at my local shop and it wi be good to go. Now I just need to hope my painting skills justify all this work. Going to go all scale as much as possible on this build which I never thought I would do. I tried painting a new slash body and the dingo body even though I won't use it. I'll try and buy a star and post pics tonight.

Last edited by xCoolHandLukex; 11-07-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Heres the shortened wheel base and my first set of home made links
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

My link compared to stock and the shorter drive shaft that was included
Attached Images

Last edited by xCoolHandLukex; 11-07-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Pretty happy with the fit if the body. I will go with different bumpers, wheels,tires and accessories later to match my 1:1. Found some BF goodrich all terrain look alikes but better order quick there discontinued. Maybe lower the body a bit more well see how the wheels rub when its done.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

My first two paint jobs. Learned to go with thinner coats and make sure the edges are nice a stuck on the painters tape. Had a lot of runs between colours in the slash. Going to destroy it any ways. Second is the Dingo body I painted just for practice. Still not super happy with my skills. Paint lines aren't as clean as I like and the flares I should have done a white base took to many coats to get full coverage and now the screw heads aren't very defined. Maybe use it as a basher body. Going to get a Honcho or Rustler body to practice one more time.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Thanks to whoever built the first RC thats what made me want to copy mine. My real crawler here I'm trying to copy as close as possible. 3" OME suspension lift, 1" body lift, 35 BFGs summer, 37 Interco SSRs winter, ARB lockers and compressor, dual batteries, 160 amp alt, 3000 watt inverter, sway bar disconnect in the rear, TJM front bumper, electric fan, custom stereo my wife got installed for some reason, custom aluminum skids. Came with power everything, sunroof, dual climate control, power fold in mirrors, fridge and ice cube maker in the center console, jump seats in the rear, compass and altimeter. Motor is a FI inline 6 cylinder, lots of torque I prefer it to my Tacomas V6. I have a snorkel, more lights, nerf bars, slee rear bumper/tire carrier and a hydraulic winch yet to install. Oh yeah and it has dual fuel tanks which is good cause it get 10 MPG highway and around 8 MPG city LOL
Attached Images

Shorten wheelbase beyond 11.3 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you shorten the wheelbase on a honcho? RENEGADE< Axial SCX-10 5 11-30-2011 08:02 PM
To shorten or not to shorten?? MnRockCrawler General Crawlers 6 02-03-2011 10:13 PM
Best way to shorten Wheelbase to 12.5 skkeeter Newbie General 5 08-04-2010 10:46 AM
Shorten my honcho's wheelbase for the new Proline Cherokee Body?? yellowpasta2000 Axial SCX-10 13 05-08-2010 03:17 PM
how do you shorten the shocks Azcats1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 09-18-2007 04:13 PM