Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New/used sxc10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #1

Default New/used sxc10

Just brought home my first sxc10. Seemed to run great at first then there was a mild squeak in the rear end I oiled the drive shaft where the sound was comming from and the noise stopped. Now it seems to be "sticking" somewhere in the front end. You can see the rig hesitate like something is grabbing. It isn't anything completely apparent to the eyes of a new to rc guy. Any ideas of where I should start to diagnose the issue further? Thanks in advance.
Rictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New/used sxc10

Clarify new or used. If used, how old?

Remove your motor pinion. Roll the truck to see if you can replicate the "sticking". If it is the front, remove that driveshaft and roll the wheels by hand to see if you can narrow down the problem. Same if it's the rear.

What terrain are you running on when this "sticking" occurs? Does it "stick" while holding the truck with all tires in the air?

Are you sure it's not glitching?
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Rusted bearing or drive shaft angle causing binding. Just shooting in the dark there...
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Any clicking noises when it hesitates? I had that issue with an XR10, ended up being stripped gears. It would hesitate, skip and get stuck...shards of the gears were floating in the axle. Good luck to you, u will figure it out. Definitely do the thing mentioned 2 posts up
mcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #5

I'm not 100% sure how old it is. I just bought it today. There isn't a scratch on the plastic anywhere so it seems pretty new. The sound/hesitation/clunk happens when the wheels are in the air. After checking it out better and reading some other posts it almost seems like the "slop" that everyone talks about comming from the drive shafts where they connect to the tranny. I'm going to tear it all down I guess and see what I find. Also it seems sometimes the radio glitches or something and the throttle doesn't respond at all is this common or should I just re-link my radio?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #6

I should also mention it has all axial alum knuckles and the guy upgraded to axial 73-103mm shocks and some other odds and ends.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #7

Well the good news is that all the tranny gears are still pristine and now greased. The end of the drive shafts seem to be chewed up do to the increased angle of the bigger shocks. I'm sure ill need new ones now and suggestions for the shafts that would work with axial 30092 shocks that are on this honcho?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
RCC Addict

A picture of the drive line angles would be of great help. Sounds like the axle isn't clocked correctly.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Agree with AddictedtoRC1. sounds like the axle isnt clocked enough. What driveshaft are you running?
waterboij23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #10

The drive shaft is the stock shaft that comes with the rtr I believe. I will post a couple of pics in the am. I ended up have to grind the ridges off the yolks so they would turn without catching I then packed them with grease to help for the time being.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #11

one of the random bodies i got with the truck.... i like it the least so i guess its my test play body haha.

this is the rear

this is the front

Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #12

Would 2.2 wheels help? Or a driveshaft that can handle alittle steeper angle? I don't have the stock shocks or I would just put them back on. And since the yolks on these shafts are shot I have to buy shafts anyways and I would rather buy something that works with the shocks instead of buying new shocks on top of everything else.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
RCC Addict

2.2 wheels aren't going to change your drive line angles. Your axles look like they are clocked right. Does it only bind when you pick it up off the ground? Have you taken apart the axles and checked the internals? I run longer shocks on my rig with the same drive shafts and don't have any problems.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #14

No it binds on the ground and in the air. With the grease packed in there it only clicks and alittle hesitation and not actually bind fully. But who knows what abuse it was put through to cause the balls in the yolks to tear up like they did. I tries to grind the sharpe ridges off that were actually binding and not leave flAt spots on the balls. I think I only moderately failed. There were 4 sets of the plastic drive tubes and 0 yolks in the parts kit. Should this tell me something?? Haha. The truck also seems slightly top heavy I'm having a hard time keeping it upright when cornering at all. I like how much easier this thing is to take apart than past rc's I have owned.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
RCC Addict

That's how the drive shafts come. You only get 4 yokes. I would say tear the axles apart and check everything in them before you go and hack up anymore parts.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #16

Haha yeah the balls def needed fixed they were a mess with deep gauges in them. The axels roll pretty smoothly when the shafts were disconnected. The pics are after I adjusted the rear pinion up alittle. You could see where it was rubbing on the tranny case so I knew that was wrong right away. I removed 3/4 of the oil that were in the shocks and adjusted the to the rear shock tower holes. It seems to rock less when it's moving forward and like I said no binding yet. When my son naps I'm gonna go play in the yard and see if it is any better or not.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #17

And thanks for the help so far guys. I really hoped this was the right forum to pick and it looks like it was :-). And with the wealth of info that's already here it's a win win as long as you don't mind sorting through it all for the right stuff.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #18

So got to run in the yard and woods for about an hour. What a blast this little truck is. Does anyone have any experience with hot racing universal drive shafts??
Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Could be that rusted or nasty looking cvd on ur trans case just saying might wanna tear it down and re grease everything u can get the manual off of axials website to help
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #20

So as an update I have been loving my scx10. I did get the hot racing drive shafts and they WILL NOT fit the scx10 at least not on the tranny side because the head itself is to thick. Got a set of wb8's and they are working ok as long As I keep them lubed.

New/used sxc10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SXC10..Something Different... ;) ... xxkalladorxx Axial SCX-10 7 08-12-2011 05:21 PM
new sxc10 pics, honcho1.9 Axial SCX-10 34 01-07-2011 11:27 AM
SXC10 TR Footage :) ttown180 Videos! 4 11-11-2009 12:30 PM