Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: dumb question but most likely know the answer...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default dumb question but most likely know the answer...

So iamb finally looking at getting a winch on my dingo but I have possibly a dumb question. Is a 1/8 scale winch to much? Iamb lam pushing 1.9 tires beadlocks just got mil shafts fresh from the tower. Iam running a vxl setup with 3s lipos (yeh rig pops wheelies!) Yeah before the smart asses start start I know it probly wasn't the best idea but my 12 turn didn't do it for me. But yeah any input would help. Thanx guys
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: dumb question but most likely know the answer...

The body of the 1/8 scale is just plain to big. If you want more power than the 1/10 look at servo winches. Really the 1/10 is a good starter winch, I've ran mine over two years now.

Lots of us run 13.5 turn 3,300kv sensored motors, about the same power and speed as your VXL, just way smoother down low and we have dragbrake. You can run sensored motors off your ESC, but still won't have drag and instant reverse.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I just have to ask how's the driveline holding up with the 3s VXL?Is it stock?I've been contemplating some more power...
TNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The rear shafts are about the only part of the driveline that will last long term, even on 2s. 3s just makes parts break faster. It takes a while to wear out the gears, lockers usually last until you get front shafts strong enough to hold (300's or VVD's). Honestly a 35t on 3s is gonna break the same parts, just not as fast, once your upgraded your good.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Another good consideration is that if you get a snatch block you effectively double your capacity or the other way of looking at it is that you half the work load on your winch. I like the 3racing winch. I've heard spotty things about the RC4WD winches. I know the 3racing one enough to recommend it.

If you get one, look into re-soldering it up to provide power to itself. It's much nicer than figuring out an external power source (another battery). You can basically splice into the wires coming from the control board for the receiver plug (white, red, black). You splice into red and black and jump them over to the red and black for the power input. Search on here, I'm sure someone has a nice write up.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

About the snatch block, alot of people don't use them right. I am certified in High angle Rope rescue, and I know a thing or two about mechanical advantage. For a 2:1 pull advantage you need to run the winch line from the truck, to the tree (through a pulley), back to a pulley on the truck and back to the tree. This would give you a 2:1 with a change of direction. Alot of guys just snatch the tree and attach to the truck, and you've done nothing but change the direction off pull.

...But now we're getting a little sidetracked ;)
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Do a search for "servo winch". You can hide the servo in behind the 3racing winch or just route the winch line through a fairlead. It's a little more expensive but a servo winch will be a lot more reliable and pull a bigger load.
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
About the snatch block, alot of people don't use them right. I am certified in High angle Rope rescue, and I know a thing or two about mechanical advantage. For a 2:1 pull advantage you need to run the winch line from the truck, to the tree (through a pulley), back to a pulley on the truck and back to the tree. This would give you a 2:1 with a change of direction. Alot of guys just snatch the tree and attach to the truck, and you've done nothing but change the direction off pull.

...But now we're getting a little sidetracked ;)
High angle rope rescue doesn't change physics :P

Truck>block>truck is indeed 2:1 If you start 50 feet from the tree, you'll have to pull 100 feet of cable to cover the distance.
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Oh! ...unless you're winching somebody ELSE's truck. My truck>block>your truck would be 1:1. A 50' pull would pull you 50'.
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I'll find some examples to help explain :(

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 10-03-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
High angle rope rescue doesn't change physics :P

Truck>block>truck is indeed 2:1 If you start 50 feet from the tree, you'll have to pull 100 feet of cable to cover the distance.

Truck -> snatch block -> truck is a 1:1 mechanical advantage... it's just a change of direction. Unless you count that the winch itself is a pulley, but that's getting tricky. It's a common misconception and even the winch companies get it wrong when explaining it. There are several advantages, the load is reduced because of the winds of the winch, but not halved.

like scenario 1 in this diagram.

Great examples of a 1:1.. note they mention that the load is reduced because of winds on the drum, not the pulley in the 1:1

Winch Tips Use Pulley Photo 24

And here is my example of what a true 2:1 would look like as you winch yourself.

explained here Winch Tips 3 Line Pull Photo 25

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 10-03-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT1 View Post
I just have to ask how's the driveline holding up with the 3s VXL?Is it stock?I've been contemplating some more power...
Well I just put in mip shafts kept blowing my shafts outa the cvds the vxl is nice pop wheelies no problem on the stock 1.9s but I think I may have ground a gear in my front shaft ill let ya kno when I open it up :P
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Thanx guys yeh I know about the whole snatch block physics iam military and our m88 we use winches to pull power packs and wat not but my question was completely overlooked lol just tryin to find out if a 1/8 winch would get burned out or shorted out from bein hooked up to the 3s Lipo:P
Old 10-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Yeah.. we got pretty sidetracked. I would start with a RC4WD bulldog and if you need more, switch to a servo winch ;)
Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

i wouldnt recommend the 3s lipo on the winch. it would handle it but not for long. the servo winch is your best bet. depending on the servo u use there wouldnt be any issues with voltage or weight. mine with out a snatch block can lift 25lbs.
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Yeh I thought about the servo winches just like the scale look of a winch a lot so I may try setting up a servo winch and run it thru a fuax winch or try running a seperate battery for the winch itself
Old 10-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

3racing makes a winch that im pretty sure is identical to the rc4wd one except its not 70.00. i got one for 30.00 CaD
cguit is offline   Reply With Quote

dumb question but most likely know the answer... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question and would like an answer icemancrawler Newbie General 4 07-07-2010 11:34 AM
The Answer To My Question--Honcho Bumper on C-10 roksloski Axial SCX-10 4 01-14-2010 09:49 AM
stupid question but need an answer ziz General Crawlers 4 09-18-2007 05:15 PM
Answer me a stupid question... teamtom Newbie General 6 12-02-2006 07:52 AM
easy question just need some one to answer it ... Rider385 Newbie General 7 09-09-2006 10:11 AM