Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: What to look in USED SCX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What to look in USED SCX-10

im about to buy an used SCX-10 from a guy , it looks like its been run from the pictures, but is there any spots one should look into in detail when buying used?
atf300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: What to look in USED SCX-10

Deffinently ask him about the electronics. Those are the most expencive things that go into them. If one thing is gone... it wont drive...

After you ask, post up his answers.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Like ford said..... Electronics including ESC, servo, radio and receiver. It will also change value of the rig depending on what is on it. Also parts like upgraded knuckles c-hubs suspension links as well as steering link. Again post up some more info about the rig and we can help better.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

guy says its a stock rtr dingo , with a proline cherokee body and interior (badly painted by the pictures) and under cowl. says that the electronics work fine.

you can see the pics here: (ignore the slovenian writing
Modelarji.com • Poglej temo - P: rc avto 4wd axial scx10

he want's 180 EUR which after reducing the 20% tax would be equivalent to around 180-190 $ , i can get a new kit version of the Dingo for about 240-260 EUR , just for perspective

what do you think ? good deal or not ?

Last edited by atf300; 10-07-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Looks like a RTR Dingo with stock electronics. If you can verify that it has an AE-2 ESC then you should be good with a price of around 180-200 $$ US. Good luck.

ProLine Undertray is a nice part as well as the ProLine interior.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i think it should be and AE-2 since the transmitter included is the newer 2.4ghz one. says he bought it in april this year and ran it maybe 10 times

since the crawling community here is almost none existent i think i can get it for the price , maybe even less . the only thing that bothers me that its a RTR, but still , for the price
Old 10-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf300 View Post
i think it should be and AE-2 since the transmitter included is the newer 2.4ghz one. says he bought it in april this year and ran it maybe 10 times

since the crawling community here is almost none existent i think i can get it for the price , maybe even less . the only thing that bothers me that its a RTR, but still , for the price
Its a good price for the RTR, just upgrade as you want or need. Make your own links, upgrade knuckles and chubs and steering link then servo. Use a 2s LiPo and it will be a very capable rig. Good luck with it.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I think that is a fair deal for both of you. He is taking a fair hit as it is used. There is not too much different between the kit and rtr as far as chassi goes. Just upgrade the links if you desire. it is easy and inexpensive to make your own. And that is the best way if you are trying to get the wheelbase just where you need it for the body. often times the kit links will not work anyway for the body you want. Plus it has electronics which add up to a lot of money to get good stuff. use what is in it and upgrade if you need along the line. looks like it will be a good way to get into an SCX for a decent price.

When/if you get it, just go over it. lube the bearings with some oil. Make sure things like screws and all are tight. And then go drive it like you stole it
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

a bit of an update . the esc is the AE-2 , but the drive shafts are the old type , not like the ones that were on the wraith. are those problematic ?, i do have a wraith already so maybe i could retrofit those .

also got a 10 eur reduction

Last edited by atf300; 10-08-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
a bit of an update . the esc is the AE-2 , but the drive shafts are the old type , not like the ones that were on the wraith. are those problematic ?, i do have a wraith already so maybe i could retrofit those .
They are somewhat problematic. There are a few things you can do to get some more time out of them but they will need replaced eventually. They are stock so that wouldn't be a deal breaker to me on the deal.

Easily upgraded for around $45 and you wouldn't need to worry about them again.
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Joshua View Post
They are somewhat problematic. There are a few things you can do to get some more time out of them but they will need replaced eventually. They are stock so that wouldn't be a deal breaker to me on the deal.

Easily upgraded for around $45 and you wouldn't need to worry about them again.
is it the same as with the wraith ones, some m6 rod to reinforce them ?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
is it the same as with the wraith ones, some m6 rod to reinforce them ?
Not sure about the rod mod on the scx shafts...that would probably work though.
The "ears" on the end of the shafts pop off all of the time. This can be fixed several ways, but then they like to twist apart at the joint.

Seems like you are always chasing the weak link on the plastic shafts. It sucks to have to leave or waste time fixing drive lines all the time. I've had mine with the rings installed and had no problems...i take it easy though and don't have a ton of power
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I have run my Wraith and my Dingo kit with the stock wild boar shafts and have put a good amount of power to them with no issues. Anyone who knows me, knows i am very tough on my rigs. The first time i had an issue with my driveshaft was with my Wraith coming down on full throttle using 4s LiPo. I had been running 3s all day with MMP and 10.5t brushless motor. I think the driveshafts are actually very good.

EDIT: just read you were talking about the old style shafts. Just get a set of MIPs and be done with it.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

but for stock motor running , at least for a month or two, even the old ones should be ok ?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
EDIT: just read you were talking about the old style shafts. Just get a set of MIPs and be done with it.

Yeah..i could have worded that better. I have been running stock shafts with a Novak esc, 35 turn on 2s lipos with no issues. My daughter has the stock shafts with homemade rings in an ax10 with a 55 turn and we've had no issues. She's not even sure what i mean by "BINDING UP!" yet.

I'm kinda hoping we have some issues though...as soon as we do were getting MIP's
Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Traxxas part number "TRA-1953" are a good replacement. It comes in a multi pack with 6 of each male and female shafts. they hold up much better then the stock Axial ones. They fit on the stock joints as well. I run them on some of my rigs as do some of the people I run with. Great inexpensive way to go.

Traxxas Half Shafts Long Truck Pro Pak (TRA1953) | RC Planet

That is just from a "google" search on a place to buy them.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

just as an heads up , this is what i've ended up with .

the cherokee shell is badly painted ,ill strip that and do a proper paint job.

otherwise it looks really lightly used , so im happy .

thanks for all the help guys !
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook82 View Post
Traxxas part number "TRA-1953" are a good replacement. It comes in a multi pack with 6 of each male and female shafts. they hold up much better then the stock Axial ones. They fit on the stock joints as well. I run them on some of my rigs as do some of the people I run with. Great inexpensive way to go.

Traxxas Half Shafts Long Truck Pro Pak (TRA1953) | RC Planet

That is just from a "google" search on a place to buy them.
I'll agree with this in the case of the old kits, but so it's clear to anybody reading this that's looking to buy used. These Traxxas shafts do not interchange with the shafts in the new Honcho RTR trail ready. It's shafts have more of a CVD style end, I forget what Axial calls it at the moment. Just check before ordering.
Helicopter Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

just doing the disassembly and one of the grub screws in the driveshafts is stripped , dang. any tips on how to get it out ?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
just doing the disassembly and one of the grub screws in the driveshafts is stripped , dang. any tips on how to get it out ?
Probably two different ways.....
1st is if its really stripped out just use the next size up hex driver.
Or....
2nd you could get a fine drill bit and drill it out.
I've done both and had success. Just depends on how bad the set screw is.... Good luck.