Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Upgrades on my Dingo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Upgrades on my Dingo

Howdy
I did some upgrades on my Dingo - still a ton more to go!

I upgraded to four link front and rear. I am really impressed at the distinct difference this made! I was expecting a little difference, but got a big change in the way it handles the rocks and everything else.

I added some more Lights and buckets for yet more lights - waiting on LED's to show up to replace the blue ones that came with the kit, and for the light bar on the top.

I also added a new grill and light buckets and frames - I am quite pleased with the look this gives it - I am thinking of pushing this more towards the D90 look after seeing the front of this with this upgrade. Very nice!

Went out and bought some polystyrene sheets today to start building out the back area. Havent done anything with the polystyrene before, but look forward to trying it out.

Some pics from todays run on the rocks - you can see the grill and lights, and some of the increased flex from the four link.

Looking forward to starting with the styrene bits now!

B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Upgrades on my Dingo

Needs more lights :P
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Looks really nice. The lights really set it off. Does your bumper lights have lenses over the LED's?
juswin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks!
Yes - used yellow axial lenses on the front bumper -
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Looks like a great location for crawling Nice rig
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks - it's close too - about a four minute walk behind my house, then it's fun from there
I am really enjoying the SCX - want to push it further towards scale looks - but that's part of the fun too
Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Did some more updates on my Dingo.

I got my LED's in (bought 100 of them in bulk - never have enough of those! ) and finished out the top light bar. These Proline HID lights look great!

It was a bit of a rascal to get the LED's to fit and still use the back covers, but not too bad overall. If you are doing a set of these, nip the anode and cathode off leaving only about 1/8" and solder on to the posts. Makes it once you are done you can use the light bucket back covers which looks quite a bit nicer.
If anyone is curious as to what this looks like I can post some pics of the process.

I also put in a new motor - was running the cheapy 55T Axial can. Not bad for the $ at all, but have been wanting to get a HH 40 or 45T Torquemaster Pro - night and day difference between those too! IN the meantime however, found a great deal on a nicer 55T Novak Expert in the for sale section. Quite a bit more power! That should keep me tided over until I take care of a few bills and get the HH motor.

At any rate - a few pics snapped in the back yard - wanted to go hit the rocks, but I am on call this weekend so have to stay around the house. But I still got to run it a bit, right?

Happy Crawling!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Howdy

A few updates on my Dingo.
I finally got the motor I have been drooling over! I got the Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster Pro Handwound 35T
Took it out and got some running around with the new motor setup and I am super happy with it. Faster, but with tons of torque. Still very efficient as well - about an hour of running around, with quite a bit of it at full throttle, and only used about 2200mah.

It was a bit overcast, but it was fun running through the fall leaves and running through the sand and mud.

Some pics

My trailer build is coming along as well - its my very first try at scratch building a trailer - but quite satisfied with the outcome so far.

Happy scaling!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Very nice! I love a well done up Dingo. Keep it up!
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks! I have thoroughly enjoyed this vehicle so far, and I need to edit some pictures and start a thread for the trailer I am building for it.
It will be a lef spring trailer built specifically for this - never done anything with styrene before, so it's a learning experience!

Next upgrade I am really wanting now is a decent winch - made a tow strap for it tonight, and am trying to decide best path forward for mounting a winch - stock bumper and mount seems a bit flex prone to me to support a winch.

Tomorrow will replace the blue front LED's with amber ones (or maybe white... Not sure yet) - just detracts too much from the look - and adding the middle set rear LED's in amber as well.

Last edited by B94Cast; 10-21-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

How about this kit

RC4WD Land Rover Defender 90 Diamond Plates Set
jvella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

That looks great - gives me an idea to play with -
Old 11-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Howdy!
Been a bit since I posted anything here and just got back from a great run on the rocks with the Dingo. .

A few changes since last time. I went and bought some different springs, so I am running the soft springs in front now, and the super soft in the rear (larger springs, left the smaller ones at stock). That really aimed this closer toward the feel that I wanted! .

I also got some RCWD RokLox - I love these tires! They grab amazing on the rocks and dirt, and look a lot better IMO than the ripsaws do from a scale view.

Running a 5000mah 2S for insane long run times as well - 2 hours into crawling and only about half capacity used!

Took the top fabric cover I made off as I a, building s hard back cover now out of styrene - that part got put in hold however s I am building a Wraith now.

I really love the new springs!! Such an inexpensive option, and it made the world of a difference!

A couple of pics to share from today's fun

Love this rig!

Last edited by B94Cast; 11-18-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

Upgrades on my Dingo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX-10 Upgrades STEELBREEZE Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 07-13-2008 03:32 PM