Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Driveshafts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Driveshafts?

What is everyone running for shafts? I am on my second set and just twisted these tonight so going to the LHS tomorrow but this is kind of getting old and I am not really hard on my rig throttle wise. I was going up a flat rock face and I heard a pop and then lost front wheel drive. So I said **** it and kept on the gas, got over it, then started doing donuts in the dirt, hit pavement, heard another snap and knew it was game over.

Just like last time, ends looked like this

I was thinking of just hose clamping the ends over the transmission yoke but I feel like the nut for the hose clamp would hit the frame. I dont want to spend $100 on shafts, what does everyone do? My rig is stretched so I made these shafts out of 2 male ands with the yoke cut off a female end and one male end glued in and I figured they would break there if anything.

Also having a glitching issue, its sparatic and random, stock everything electronics wise, AE2 ESC, glitches when on the gas a little but always glitches when turned full right, any ideas on that? I have been hearing BEC but I have no idea. I suck with electronics.

And just thought this was funny, old shaft out of my 1:1 before switching to custom sleeved shafts

And the rig for good measure

TIA
aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Driveshafts?

MIP or junfac are your best bet for shafts that wont fail.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Will they fit mine being stretched and all? If there is a way to sleeve my end yokes, thats all I need. Either that or maybe wraith shafts will fit?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
RCC Addict

MIP has a spreadsheet on their site you can use to figure out what pieces you need to make their shafts work. If its too much $$$ for the MIP setup you can put rings around the ears of the plastic shafts so they dont get pushed off the universal. Had them on my truck for years until the actual shafts started twisting, then i upgraded to MIPs

A BEC will be needed if you are running a high torque servo or run big tires like you have

Last edited by dittohead; 10-07-2012 at 10:34 PM.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ok cool thanks what would I use to sleeve it? I was gonna try a hose clamp but figured the nut would hit the frame or something
Old 10-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

You're asking a lot of those plastic shafts with those huuuge tires on there.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #7

the stock shafts lasted a few months on my scx10 then did what yours did im now ruuning the mip driveshafts they do add weight but are pretty tough also ran them on an ax10 never had a problem with them only thing that sucks is the $65 price tag
scaleguy1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

65?! Ouch...

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/MIP-C-Dri...1-p-16872.html

Or go with some rings...
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-Rac...1-p-17288.html
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Cool those rings are what I am looking for thanks. I knew that I would have more breakage with the 2.2 iroks but not literally every other run. Those sleeves look like they will do just the job, I have no other problems with the stock shafts besides them twisting at the yoke ears and popping off. I will try a set of the rings and go from there and probably mess around with the BEC on the ESC thanks yall
Old 10-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
RCC Addict

The rings are a waste of cash, that's halfway to real driveshafts. Your way better off in the long run to spend the money on shafts now, cause your eventually gonna. Once you get the ears to hold the shaft itself twist like a candy cane.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I used the rings before I got MIP's and I never had any problems with them. For a budget option I would look into some of the new wildboar driveshafts from a new honcho or wraith, they are pretty tough when sleaved and you can get em cheap on fleabay.
Dualdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I ran the junfac and they were okay but I broke them! I had no choice really I went mip and haven't looked back well worth the money in my book!
Crawlininga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yeah but rc crawling is my 2ndhobby 1:1 is a lottle more expensive haha. Maybe once the money tree grows a little more. Its out of seaaon tho :(
Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Once you get the ears to hold the shaft itself twist like a candy cane.
Yup. Once my yoke popped off my output universal, I found that the shafts had already twisted.

If you don't want to spend that much on rings, you can save a buck by going at it with fishing line and CA glue. Just something to try to get yourself by 'til you find out if you are, in fact, going to be twisting shafts.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have 2.2s on mine with the stock WB8 (Wildboar) driveshafts and have yet to have any issues at all.

I would give those a try and see how you like them.

Just in case, I have a set of MIPs waiting to be installed should they break.

Fink
Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Yup. Once my yoke popped off my output universal, I found that the shafts had already twisted.

If you don't want to spend that much on rings, you can save a buck by going at it with fishing line and CA glue. Just something to try to get yourself by 'til you find out if you are, in fact, going to be twisting shafts.
For a fast & cheap mod, try this. think I spent $2.00 my 8yr old has been bashing hers with no issues at all with these
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Once i started doing some proper crawling in my honcho I snapped 2 pairs of shafts within a week. Just installed a junfac kit which looks to be very well made
SMiTHBRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I'm all for rc4wd punisher shafts, been using them for two straight yrs and I drive pretty hard, they are still holding strong, they have them in different lengths too but price tag is $65 too. I've never tried mip or junfac so I couldn't help ya there. Good luck.
railripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I've broke the Junfacs too many times to count. Plenty of snapped pins, even good drillbit pins, till the holes in the shafts themselves splits open. Their slip section is a D shape with a lot of friction that binds the suspension travel.

I went MIP and never looked back. Out of the 3 sets I have 2 are holding up well, and the SWB SCX with droop travel limited to just-before-the-joint-binds is finally getting enough slop in the front joints to concern me a little. It gets used and abused more than the rest. Probably has over fifty hours on the joints with only one teardown/clean/lube.

If you're about 12.5" wheelbase and centered trans then you can run the AX-10 version, which seem to be a bit cheaper. They also fit on a Wraith because of it's longer transmission output shaft.

IF you already have the steel yokes, then a Pro pack of Traxxas shafts is $7 and you'll get many hours of use out of the multiple sets. They are a convenient to replace "fuse" and also protect your plastic trans gears by having some twist to them to absorb shock loads. They got me by for years until I was finally fed up with having any sort of weak link in the drivetrain.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

The wild boar shafts are crap at least in my opinion tho it probly doesn't help iamb running a vxl set up ended up granading both axles constantly. Finally got fed up with constantly rebuilding em and went mip a few weeks ago and they hold up great!
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Driveshafts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
driveshafts sick86burban Micro Scale Rigs 9 09-06-2013 08:55 PM
Driveshafts?? peterk Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 04-23-2012 12:40 PM
driveshafts kennyskalla Axial SCX-10 4 04-20-2012 03:12 PM
what driveshafts? nitrojeff Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 04-20-2009 09:11 PM