Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Link Lengths for hilux body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Link Lengths for hilux body

Hello, i want to run titanium links on my scx10 and dont know how to measure what lengths i need, i am going to run vanquish titanium links and would like to know what lengths to get for the top and bottom, im running 4 link with a hand bros cms setup. i just need to know how to measure them out, or what lengths to use, thank you
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Link Lengths for hilux body

For some reason, asking this question is like pulling teeth on this web site. Don't know why no one will just cough up the info.
arctichorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Measure your standard ones, then measure the wheel well spacing on the standard body then the hilux and whatever the difference is add or subtract that from your link lengths. You may want to divide it by two and add it to the front and the rear links or you may just want to do it on one end. Not too hard to work out.
ttv8ra23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichorse View Post
For some reason, asking this question is like pulling teeth on this web site. Don't know why no one will just cough up the info.
Because it needs to be measured and sorted out on a truck by truck basis depending on the setup, desired pinion angle, steering setup, axles and the 4 link mount being used. It's not hard to do, but there is no guaranteed one size fits all.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Because it needs to be measured and sorted out on a truck by truck basis depending on the setup, desired pinion angle, steering setup, axles and the 4 link mount being used. It's not hard to do, but there is no guaranteed one size fits all.
For wheelbase? I'm pretty sure wheelbases are all the same on all the Tamiya Hiluxs, unless you chop the body to make it a certain wheelbase or to change the looks like extending the cab with styrene.

Last edited by arctichorse; 02-12-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichorse View Post
For wheelbase? I'm pretty sure wheelbases are all the same on all the Tamiya Hiluxs, unless you chop the body to make it a certain wheelbase or to change the looks like extending the cab with styrene.
What about everything else I mentioned?

All of that aside, you are only talking about lower links. Again, nobody can simply give guaranteed to work full upper and lower link lengths unless they had the same setup, right down to the position they mounted the body.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

For the small amount you will be changing the wheel base from standard length I'm sure the pinion angle would not need to be changed much. If your using a standard chassis and diffs and mount points it would not be hard to work out at all and if your not that happy with the pinion angle at the mock up stage just shorten the appropriate link up a bit.
ttv8ra23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
What about everything else I mentioned?

All of that aside, you are only talking about lower links. Again, nobody can simply give guaranteed to work full upper and lower link lengths unless they had the same setup, right down to the position they mounted the body.
Oh I see what you're saying, I was talking about bottom lengths. I've read you can set up your upper one's at any position you like that does not compromise it, even so to change drive shaft angles, so that's definitely variable.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Yup, as well as body position. For example if someone says their lowers are 115mm both front and rear, and someone else looking for link lengths has their body positioned 2mm further forward then they would need 113mm rear and 117mm front. Same overall wheelbase, but it's just an example that there are different combinations of front and rear link lengths to reach a desired wheelbase purely based on how they position the body on the chassis. An easy fix is to make your links before attaching the body, or attaching it in a way that it can be adjusted front to back.

Either way I'm probably just being overly technical about it, and someone should be able to get him on the right track with a disclosure: *may need final adjustments.

The best I can offer is:

Mojave = 11.3" wheelbase (about 3mm less than the Dingo).
Based on what I've measured and experienced, the Dingo lowers are about 114.5mm long eye to eye. Subtract 1.5mm from each to get ~3mm shorter wheelbase which is 113mm. The rear uppers can be the same (equal upper and lower rears gives me ideal axle clocking), but I would do the front uppers a few mm shorter. With equall length front links the pinion angle was nice, but I had too much forward caster.

All of this is assuming stock Axial 4-link truss, and measurements are eye-to-eye (measurement "C" on Vanquish's site).

Link Lengths for hilux body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
link lengths? gtxr Axial XR10 1 05-21-2012 08:08 PM
4-link and link lengths questions T DAWGv12 Axial SCX-10 5 11-27-2010 11:17 AM
upper link lengths for SCX10 with stock four link oscodawave Axial SCX-10 4 11-19-2010 08:23 PM
Looking for link lengths for 4 link on the Honcho Skeeno Axial SCX-10 5 12-20-2009 08:34 PM
4-link lengths liltexmp Tamiya TLT Crawlers 8 06-13-2007 10:45 PM