RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   Szczerba's IFS SCX Build (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/409247-szczerbas-ifs-scx-build.html)

Szczerba 10-23-2012 07:54 AM

Szczerba's IFS SCX Build

9 Attachment(s)
HPI RS4 3 front end, stock for now, accepts Axial gears/locker
SCX frame with AX10 rear axle

just under 9" width with SLW 225 Axial 1.9 wheels
Did some grinding for more droop with decent success. The aluminum upgrade lower arms and knuckle my result in more down travel when grinded upon.
Grinded on Right, stock on left.

Thanks to monkeyracer for some tips "thumbsup"

First picture shows stock down travel on left, grinded for clearance on the right. I WANT MORE DROOP!

Two short servo mounting posts bolt to the frame then bolt the IFS to that. More permanent mounts will be made.

More to come. "thumbsup"

HONCHO22 10-23-2012 08:03 AM

Re: Szczerba's IFS SCX

Lookin good pal,good luck with the shoulder surgery you got coming up"thumbsup"

Szczerba 10-23-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HONCHO22 (Post 3979940)
Lookin good pal,good luck with the shoulder surgery you got coming up"thumbsup"

Thanks. I wanted to get a little bit of work done on this before then. The shoulder surgery is going to put me down for a couple weeks.

Plan on a 3/16" tube front bumper and rear cage for spare tires. Kinda a Pre-Runner build. I have some other ideas as well.
Not sure if the front will stay like it is with the current shock setup. Might try some mini revo rockers with a cantilever setup.

More pictures to come in the next few days. "thumbsup"

JavelinSST390 10-23-2012 08:15 AM

Nice! That should hold up well. RS4's were about the most durable on-road cars out there. I also like how clean your mounting and shock setup is. Best IFS conversion for the SCX10 Chassis I've seen so far. "thumbsup"

Szczerba 10-23-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavelinSST390 (Post 3979959)
Nice! That should hold up well. RS4's were about the most durable on-road cars out there. I also like how clean your mounting and shock setup is. Best IFS conversion for the SCX10 Chassis I've seen so far. "thumbsup"

Thanks but credit to monkeyracer. Right now it's just the two little servo mounting tabs holding it to the SCX frame. A lower skid will need to be built as well.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-s...short-bed.html

And your right. I picked the RS4 over the Mini Revo front end because the RS4 accepts AX10 lockers/gears. And GPM makes every single part in Aluminum too.
I will build it up with stock parts for now for the proof of concept. But will swap out to aluminum parts for better clearancing/grinding and rewelding.

ROLANDROCKSHOP 10-23-2012 08:24 AM

i like it yo!

"thumbsup"

Szczerba 10-23-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP (Post 3979972)
i like it yo!

"thumbsup"

I need one rear SCX shock hoop!
You cleaned me out of shock hoops on your G6 Tacoma build!

ROLANDROCKSHOP 10-23-2012 08:28 AM

i have 1,but its missing the body post mount..??
lmk

ROLANDROCKSHOP 10-23-2012 08:31 AM

if ya want a lil more droop swap out rodends on the shocks..
it'll give a few mm's more of down travel.

anymore down travel and you'll have problems with the dogbones popping out..unless you move to cvd's of course.

STANG KILLA SS 10-23-2012 08:42 AM

i wondered how long it would take.
love it!

Szczerba 10-23-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS (Post 3979995)
i wondered how long it would take.
love it!

What? For me to start another build? :ror: Idle hands are a killer for me.

Meatwad 10-23-2012 08:51 AM

Re: Szczerba's IFS SCX Build

Nice! Got a hex-hex width measurement of the rs4 3 front end?

Looking forward to this "thumbsup"

Szczerba 10-23-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatwad (Post 3980012)
Nice! Got a hex-hex width measurement of the rs4 3 front end?

Looking forward to this "thumbsup"

I asked the same question in monkeyracer's thread "thumbsup"

His response.

Hex to Hex:
Front at widest - 7.5
Front at ride height - 7.375

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-s...ml#post3970595

Also, I was able to pick this whole front end off an EBAY auction for $60 shipped. I asked the seller if I could just buy the front end off of his RS4 and he agreed! "thumbsup"

Meatwad 10-23-2012 10:41 AM

Doh, reading would've helped instead of skimming. Thanks for posting here though.

Nice score on the front end "thumbsup"

frdtrkguy 10-23-2012 10:47 AM

Cool build!! Looks like the front is a little narrower than the rear?

Szczerba 10-23-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatwad (Post 3980200)
Doh, reading would've helped instead of skimming. Thanks for posting here though.

Nice score on the front end "thumbsup"

Yep, found a really nice guy on Ebay. Gave him a call and $60 later it was at my door.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frdtrkguy (Post 3980207)
Cool build!! Looks like the front is a little narrower than the rear?

Right now the front is narrower. I just threw on some hexes I had laying around. I should be able to put the super narrow hexes on the rear to narrow it down a bit more. Running 225 or 350 SLW hubs right now. I think 225's though.

Don't want to add anymore width up front right now.

The front tires will tuck under a HPI Mini Trophy Truck body right now :mrgreen:

Szczerba 10-23-2012 07:40 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Couple pictures.

Pulled off the front end. First picture is to show servo mounts that mount up to stock SCX frame screw holes.

AX10 Locker with HD gears drops right in. Need to find some outputs that will fit in the diff. The HPI's are smaller diamater. I'm thinking the EXO's will work.
Some more grinding on inside of knuckles for dog bone clearance/droop
Moved the Upper plastic "turnbuckles" down a hole and added some traxxas rod ends to shocks. Gained 1/4" more droop

Looks more work to be done.

monkeyracer 10-23-2012 09:01 PM

Great start! I can't wait to see what you end up with.

I PM'd back about the output cups. I'm just using the HPI Heavy Duty Output shafts in my Silverado.

I started the IFS build in September 2010, but it sat for a while waiting for parts and other projects. I know it's not the first IFS SCX, but I think it was the first using the RS4 stuff.

Still haven't figured out shock set-up and tuning, but once I get a running rig, I can tweak it to get it just right. I'd be interested to hear what you find works for this type of rig.

Subscribed!

Edit: also, about getting more droop; you are on the right track. Shave down the C-hub so that it can rotate further in the lower arm. You can also get a little material out of the lower arm (grind that part back to the beginning of the bevel.) I can post pics of this somewhat soon if you need.

Szczerba 10-23-2012 09:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyracer (Post 3981235)
Great start! I can't wait to see what you end up with.

I PM'd back about the output cups. I'm just using the HPI Heavy Duty Output shafts in my Silverado.

I started the IFS build in September 2010, but it sat for a while waiting for parts and other projects. I know it's not the first IFS SCX, but I think it was the first using the RS4 stuff.

Still haven't figured out shock set-up and tuning, but once I get a running rig, I can tweak it to get it just right. I'd be interested to hear what you find works for this type of rig.

Edit: also, about getting more droop; you are on the right track. Shave down the C-hub so that it can rotate further in the lower arm. You can also get a little material out of the lower arm (grind that part back to the beginning of the bevel.) I can post pics of this somewhat soon if you need.

I had a brain freeze with the clamp style lockers. The Stock HPI outputs fit in snuggly and the set screws clamp them tight.

I have ground the a-arms, back side of knuckles and hole where dog bone goes through knuckle. I added longer rod ends to the shocks (I thought the SCX's were long enough but traxxas rod ends extened them enough) and moved the top upper knuckle "turnbuckle" down a hole. I think I am pretty close to max droop with stock parts right now. Dog bones almost get out of knuckle output shaft.

I think 2" at the front IFS cross bar is decent considering it's a on-road car.

Front drive shaft tucks up nicely.

Just one note, as monkeyracer states in his thread, the HPI front end rotates opposite of the rear axle. :ror: I'll have to flip the rear axle.

monkeyracer 10-23-2012 09:41 PM

One reason I decided to do the IFS Silverado... Look at this pic:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...2-img_1902.jpg

See how you can see the rear pumpkin hanging down lower than the front end?

I am looking into getting a few 32P pinions, some 5mm steel rod, and making a direction reversing transfer case so I can keep the rear axle the right side up.

Just have to make sure you hook up the front axle to the opposite pinion as the rear axle. This also moves the trans forward, hopefully giving room for a future interior.

I like the no-slop lockers since that holds the cups in place in the case the dogbones/universals fall out.