Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dan_The_Man's Ftoy Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #1

Default Dan_The_Man's Ftoy Build

First of all, thanks to all in this forum for all of the useful info here. My Axial certainly wouldn't look like it does otherwise. In case you missed my last thread, here's a recap:

My buddy found a for sale thread over on GA TTORA for an SCX10 that was over a year old, but had never sold. After a few exchanged emails and a Pay Pal payment later, I had a lightly used SCX10 at my door. Here is the truck when I got it:

The kit came well built when I got it. It had:
-Tekin T45 motor
-Tekin FXR ESC
-Spektrum Dx3e radio
-Spektrum S300 reciever
-CC BEC
-HiTec servo
-Gearhead RC bead lock rings
-R2J rear link truss
-5000mah Venom NiMh
-Turnigy Accucell 6 Charger

The best part...all that for $300 shipped!

I wheeled the crap out of it for around 6 months, only doing a few minor mods like cutting the tires and pulling the foams. I started to find a few weak points though. The most annoying issue was the heims failing. I couldn't hardly wheel a day without having 1 pull off the link. The other was the body. The rear cage began to pull away and crack the plastic. Also, due to a lack of a front bumper and the battery placement, the battery took a hit on every roll over. I also managed to break a plastic knuckle.

So with a broken rig and a little bit of money, I was out to build a better Axial. The knuckles got replaced with aluminum knuckles and C's (which where next to go). I replaced the rod ends with Traxxas ones and broke out the trusty MIG to work on body protection. Here is what I ended up with:

For a first go around, I was happy with it. It wasn't meant to be perfect, just a weekend project to try my hand at tube bending. I know the body looks crooked... It wasn't pinned down in this picture.

Fast forward a few months and a lot of wheeling later. I had been having issues with the strength of the front bumper which lead to the headlight guards being cut off. The body had also cracked around the posts and it had a tendency to spit the pins out after every roll over. I decided to drop in an Axial 27t motor to help in the speed department, since a new area I was wheeling had a lot of loose climbs.

This is where the fun started. With a 27t motor, weighted wheels, a heavy NiMH battery, the weight of the tube work and no shortage of throttle, the parts began to fly. In only a handful of outings, I had managed to claim multiple driveshafts and a front out drive and the idler gear in the tranny. After seeing several high-end build threads on here, I decided it was time for the truggy to get a facelift. I had always planned to Ftoy my SCX at some point, so with a weekend at home and a phone call to a fabricator friend the Axial went under the knife. I picked up some 3/16" solid rod and a HF tube bender (Tubing Bender - Save on this Manual Tubing Bender) and so began the build.

All the old tube cut off:

Here was the first assembly, still with the Honcho wheelbase:

I made a parts run to the LHS and happened up on a set of 5 'used' Flat Irons for $20. I have had great luck with my current set (as bald as they are), so I decided to try a different cut on the new tires

And here it is now.

I picked up a toolbox from Tractor Supply to use as an electronics box which also gave me room to run an auxiliary battery for lighting in the future. The rear links are 6-32 all-thread with Revo ends. I still have hood bars, body panels and mounts to do, as well as finalize battery placement and tie the shocks into the cage. I know the welds aren't the prettiest...still running flux core. The current color scheme is going to be white with black panels. Once school lets out for Thanksgiving break, I plan to have this thing finished up pretty quick. Stay tuned for updates!

Few questions for the RCC community:
-Any recommendations for a tough paint? I know chipping can't be avoided, but I'd like for this thing to look good as long as it can.

-For body panel mounts, I am currently leaning to using welded tabs and bolting them. Any suggestions on a better alternative?

Last edited by Dan_The_Man; 12-03-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Dan_The_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Dan_The_Man's Ftoy Build

Way to go Dan! Cant wait to see it rollin' again (maybe at RBD).
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Updates!??!?!??!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #4

It's update time!

I finally got out of school for Thanksgiving break and had time to finish the build.

Chassis being finish welded

First assembly

And here is an idea Ive had floating around in my head for a while. I bought some LED strips from Autozone and some 1/2" square tube from Home Depot and came up with this. I'm happy with how it turned out, especially for the money.

LEDs can throw some light out!

And the finished product. I still have a few loose ends to tie up, but its mostly complete. Can't wait to get it out in the woods!

Last edited by Dan_The_Man; 12-03-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Dan_The_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I'm glad to see that the CMS bracket worked for ya. How's the side-to-side movement of the axle when turning? Can't wait to see it at RBD!

Dan_The_Man's Ftoy Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Ftoy attempt skid Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 17 09-21-2008 05:33 PM