Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Tundra SCX-10 Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tundra SCX-10 Build...

I like the pic with the 1:1. It makes me miss my tundra and make me want the finish my tundra rc.
Nice truck.
Could you share some pics of the inside of the body. Like where the mounts are and lights and stuff I'm not sure how to put mine together.
Thanks
Joe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthellfire911 View Post
I would make a set of sliders and put a plate behind where the 4 holes are in the body stock from the factory, drill those holes in the plate and bam! there's you mounting.
What do you mean by sliders? Is there a pic of this set up
04sti20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sti20 View Post
What do you mean by sliders? Is there a pic of this set up
Rock sliders, check out Kramer the tundra in the 1.9 section. There should be some pics of what I'm talking about.
jthellfire911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Oh my jeezus these damn Gmade 93mm piggy back shocks are a total PITA to build! It took me almost an hour to build just one perfectly without any bubbles in the 45wt Associated shock oil I'm using. The grommet between the shock body top plastic cap must be absolutely perfect in order to fit correctly without leaking. Also there are several more grommets inside the piggy back reservoir that must be securely in line or else they will tear. I think each shock has around 6 grommets all wrapped around plastic buffers. The only aluminum on these shocks are the piggy back, pressure adjustment screw, aeration screw, shock body, spring, and one red ball end!!

I see a lot of failure points in this shock design. When I typically build any type of shock whatever scale from 1/14 to 1/5 I always use a bit of black RTV sealant around the cartridges and let them cure overnight once they are built before I pour shock oil the next day. I never had any shock I built myself leak on me...but these Gmade ones are so complex in features and adjust ability that RTV cannot be used anywhere.

G-made : All the rock crawler lovers // gmade.net

On the upside they do look bad ass! Let's just hope they don't bust wide open lol.

Here's a comparison of the stocker 90mm Axial SCX10 shocks and the 93mm GMade Piggy Backs:

Here it is mounted on the rear for now as I am reworking the front velcro mounting system for the hardbody:

Man should have went with the Powerstrokes....but we shall see!
How are these holding up for you? Recommended or not?
Antisimplistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

This is what I was talking about

see the 2 tabs with holes in the middle? there are nuts welded to the back side so that the holes in the body on the sides bolt into those to hold the body to the chassis.
jthellfire911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #46

Where do you find bodies like this? I am very new to crawlers and would love to transform my honcho into something like this.
booneTRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

People can build you a chassis or you can build it. For the body you can watch he for sale forum or try rpphobby.com or rc4wd.com. There's several pieces to buy I think there is a forum post here that details all the parts to buy.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy774 View Post
Thanks alex really appreciate the help and the information looking foward to making my own build thread here shortly.
HA!! That is the first time I have seen someone actually use one of my rigs for their avatar. I guess I finally did something right with my scale builds. Now time to figure out how to build my comp rigs better!

Glad to help out that's what we're all here for. This rig actually used to be a honcho kit...then became an all out 2.2 mud truck with a Titan 550 on 3s. Then slowed it down with my old shafty comp motor and next week I'm throwing on my custom Holmes 35T built with CrawlerMafia's own specs for the motor. Then time for my 32p conversion.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisimplistic View Post
How are these holding up for you? Recommended or not?
Well since I've been babying this rig because of that beautiful paint job I haven't really put a lot of strain on the shocks yet. So far they have become my favorite scale performing shock. The adjust ability for the oil reservoir is really neat and fully functional. Just take your time to make sure all your shock pressure is set correctly.

So far no leaks and even smoother than the PL Powerstrokes...but I've only trailed with it twice on two 1550mah 3s packs.

The only thing I don't really like are the caps being plastic. But I don't see that as being an issue since the bladders are well built but maybe given time the plastic might start cracking.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sti20 View Post
Just courious as to how you attached that custom front mounting plate to the stock body posts, screws? I just got the tundra body but only the cab because I'm making a truggy. Kinda stumped on how to mount it w/o making holes.
I did it super ghetto...basically CA glued some left over lexan I cut out from older bodies and used about 3 rectangular pieces stacked on top of each other to give it rigidity. Then I drilled right through all three and used a reamer to make sure they fit to the posts.

Then in between 2 of the lexan pieces I attached a body clip on each side where the posts stick through to hold the lexan bottom halves to the posts. Then I CA'd the last lexan piece on top. Let it all cure and attach HD 3M waterproof velcro on the top of the plates with shoo goo on top of the adhesive on the back of the velcro.

On the body portion I found some firm sponges that come with ESC/motor boxes and cut them to fit the bottom of the hood of the hardbody and lined it up to the plate I made with one side of the velcro already shoo goo'd in. After that shoo goo the other half of the velcro to the firm sponges and let that cure overnight. And voila you have an awesome front mount setup.

Also because it's velcro the mount allows a little wiggle play so if you rub on some rocks the body will push away from it so less stress on the mounting system. The back end on the bed is just drilled through to the rear posts and I used mini black e clips to hold that securely in place.

So basically I attach the rear bed into the back posts first and then the front end just velcros down since the body is already lined up.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Can you post a few pics of the above. I think I'm having the same problem and I'm more of a visual learner.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Lol creativity and dense foam padding like the ones that sometimes come with lipo boxes or really anything that has a little give to it. I am no good at brazing or welding but I can work with plastics, styrene, putty, silicone adhesives, and rigging up some ridiculous mounting systems.

This particular one was just extending the body mounts then dremel them flat. Find the thickest styrene u can get your hands on cut it up and bond them together into a rectangle that fits over the extended front body posts. You can even use lexan from leftover bodies as long as you form a flexible yet solid platform joining the two posts after you drill holes so the posts can mate with your makeshift rectangle mounting base. I use body clips and CA to make a solid bond here at the holes. Then this is the fun part....stack those dense foams until you get the ride height correct over the platform.

After that shoe goo all the foams together. Then shoe goo some heavy duty Velcro on the top of the foams. On the underside of the cab you should use one foam because the Tundra hood is not completely flat for the other Velcro to stick to your platform.

You want flexibility and give when you mount a hardbody otherwise a hard hit or graze will crack it....and repairs aren't fun especially to do it properly. The bed I cheated lol I drilled two little holes and since I painted the bed matte black I used mini black body clips.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #53
Rock Stacker

Who Makes Those bumpers?
minicooperzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Reading this build had me like,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwYNca4iog
Derek Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:10 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooperzoom View Post
Who Makes Those bumpers?
Holy moly been a loooong time since I looked at this build! I sure do miss this SCX10 although it was the most basic one besides the Tamiya Highlift hardbody which took about a week to get it done right.

A local vendor here (ScaleReady) made them for me. Sliders, front bumper, rear bumper protector all for $75 shipped. They are not powder coated, but no biggie I babied this rig as if it was my 1:1 anyway.

By far the most realistic handling scaler I've ever had the pleasure of wheeling without getting stuck in mud or sand like in my 1:1 and had to get winched out 4 times HAHA.

Sure miss both trucks. I've changed careers now so I'm in a 2013 BMW 335i SportLine with a few mods.....not as obnoxious as my Tundra but man that twin turbo inline 6 flies like lighting!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:44 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Dammn I miss this rig....it articulated and performed the most realistic to any 1:1 wish I had my GoPro that day....damn
Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

I want to thank Phillip Hepp with ScaleReady in the vendors forum! He does outstanding work, and turn around time is insane. He really puts his heart into his fabrications and never will was there a pause in communications in how I wanted this rig to turn out.

I was just so paranoid with a $300 full painted Tamiya body without any sort of protection that would make the rig just non classy if I went full exo cage.

Ended out parting this rig all out. Cheapest build ever probably only cost about $500 electronics included. Mainly because I had all the electronics on hand anyways. Who knew my cheapest build would catch the attention of tcscrawlers?! Wow. I didn't think I was that great of a painter this was only my second attempt but J Walker did teach. Did the proper ways on hard body painting, prep, wet sand, paint, wet sand again....on and on and on lol!

Currently doing a 2.2 scx10 for the 2nd time with ScaleReady already expecting something nuts!

Tundra SCX-10 Build... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My SCX-10 Tundra olekvi Axial SCX-10 43 02-04-2014 10:36 AM
Axial SCX-10 Tundra List Axial SCX-10 10 01-06-2014 06:31 PM
scx-10/tundra recon build*still going* sj4x4 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 10-22-2011 08:16 PM
SCX Tundra Build Aaronb Axial SCX-10 19 05-06-2010 03:02 PM