Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Tundra SCX-10 Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Tundra SCX-10 Build...

It's about time that I did a write up of my Honcho kit evolution into my second hard body build...

Running Gear:
O.G. Sidewinder Waterproofed on 3s
55T Lathe Motor
Hitec 5646WP w/CC BEC @ 7.4V
Hand Bros CMS - Panhard Front
R2J 4 Link Rear Truss
Custom Front/Rear Bumpers - ScaleReady
Custom Sliders - ScaleReady
Junfac Carbon Steel Front/MIP Rear
Axial Aluminum C's and Knuckles
Marine Greased Axles and Tranny
RR Steel Internals
CAC Beadlocks on 1.9 Pitbulls
CI Foams
Junfac XD Piggyback Shocks 93mm w/Functioning Reservoirs 45wt F/R

Body:
Tamiya Tundra two tone w/accessories
Custom mounted on make shift lexan plate w/ HD velcro
RC4WD Tundra Fender Flares

Onto the pics:

And finally today's update: trying to clean up the wiring and setup the CMS

Last edited by alexchen86; 12-10-2012 at 04:22 PM.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tundra SCX-10 Build...

This is how it looks with the body mounted after Phillip at ScaleReady did the sliders/bumpers:

Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

Those bumpers and sliders look amazing!!
Slow and Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Fan of wheelspeed

That body looks great. The bumpers/sliders look really good too.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Dam you! Lmao... Sweet rig! Haven seen a Tundra build in a while on here an the wife wants the xj to drive. Since I grew up in a Toyota family, I was/am goin to do a Tundra build, my "Troyota".. Haha.. great looking body an not many out there. I'll be watching an learning..

I haven seen one but is there a drop bed kit for it?
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow and Steady View Post
Those bumpers and sliders look amazing!!
QFT

I know there is a cool looking tundra in this thread, but the sliders keep distracting me lol
monkeymagic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Wow, those sliders/bumpers are nothing short of fantastic paired with that body.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yup Phillip did a great job check him out in the vendors section! At a price of I think $60 or so he's truly an honest and talented individual! Tell him Alex sent ya!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Dam you! Lmao... Sweet rig! Haven seen a Tundra build in a while on here an the wife wants the xj to drive. Since I grew up in a Toyota family, I was/am goin to do a Tundra build, my "Troyota".. Haha.. great looking body an not many out there. I'll be watching an learning..

I haven seen one but is there a drop bed kit for it?
No drop bed that I've seen so far so if I want one it's going to be full custom styrene....and my styrene skills are ummmm elementary to say the least.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Been a busy bee past couple of days after work...putting together my XR Chaotic Switch build and rebuilding my SCX10 Tundra. Finally got the CMS all sorted out since my drag link wasn't lining up correctly and the panhard bar had to be custom extended since I modded the frame. Re-waterproofed the OG Sidewinder tonight, finished one shock and got halfway done with the another one. Cleaned out my old 55T lathe motor as well.

Oh my jeezus these damn Gmade 93mm piggy back shocks are a total PITA to build! It took me almost an hour to build just one perfectly without any bubbles in the 45wt Associated shock oil I'm using. The grommet between the shock body top plastic cap must be absolutely perfect in order to fit correctly without leaking. Also there are several more grommets inside the piggy back reservoir that must be securely in line or else they will tear. I think each shock has around 6 grommets all wrapped around plastic buffers. The only aluminum on these shocks are the piggy back, pressure adjustment screw, aeration screw, shock body, spring, and one red ball end!!

I see a lot of failure points in this shock design. When I typically build any type of shock whatever scale from 1/14 to 1/5 I always use a bit of black RTV sealant around the cartridges and let them cure overnight once they are built before I pour shock oil the next day. I never had any shock I built myself leak on me...but these Gmade ones are so complex in features and adjust ability that RTV cannot be used anywhere.

G-made : All the rock crawler lovers // gmade.net

On the upside they do look bad ass! Let's just hope they don't bust wide open lol.

Here's a comparison of the stocker 90mm Axial SCX10 shocks and the 93mm GMade Piggy Backs:

Here it is mounted on the rear for now as I am reworking the front velcro mounting system for the hardbody:

Man should have went with the Powerstrokes....but we shall see!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

will be keeping an eye on this one, love the hardbody tundra..
ash38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Thanks ash38....I was modeling it after my 1:1 but gave up on an exact replica and did my own two tone flair on it to give a more off road look.

Here were tonight's updates after work....IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE! Lol after a little over a year being out of commission from a cracked tranny case, fried servo, and seized bearings from mudding too much.

Every major axle/tranny/differential bearing has been cleaned and regreased. All axles have been checked thoroughly for severe cracks in case muddy or sandy water gets in during mud sessions again. All axles packed to the brim with heavy duty thick white lithium grease in an attempt to repel as much water and mud as possible.

Next plans:
1. May drop in my waterproofed BRXL I have laying around if my O.G. Sidewinder fries one day even though I waterproofed it myself again last night along with the other electronics.

2. May install high steer zero ackerman knucks instead of my old standard Axial aluminum knuckles.

3. No plans to put in CVD's at the axles since this truck is just a trail basher, show truck, and mud rig. It will never compete in any event so no need...doggie bones and cups are cheaper and stronger especially in a bind coupled with low gear and tons of torque from the motor!

4. Install a light kit (head lights, fogs, corner lamps, tail lights, maybe even a day bar...)

5. Install the rc4wd clear lexan and do an interior on her...
Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
3. No plans to put in CVD's at the axles since this truck is just a trail basher, show truck, and mud rig. It will never compete in any event so no need...doggie bones and cups are cheaper and stronger especially in a bind coupled with low gear and tons of torque from the motor!
Get some music wire the right size and you'll have a lifetime of very strong pins for practically nothing. I got a 27ft piece of it from Mcmaster Carr for around $4 and my 3 sets of CVD's are going strong with these... I run 3s in everything and they're holding up.. I find they are smoother at full lock than the dog bones are.. And they seem to tighten up the front wheels a little especially once the bearings get a little loose.

Truck looks awesome by the way!
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Forgot how nice this thing was....its been a while.. Just messing with ya

Looks awesome man! If I recall correctly, that rear truss was causing your upper links to bind. That picture reminded me of it. How does it perform?
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Hey Phil my man thank you for that beautiful work. Simply GORGEOUS!!! The rear truss was fine today when I ran it....could be my rear shocks were causing some kind of bind with the rear axle movement. I took it out to a local spot with a new buddy of mine who I got into crawling. He's a big 1/5 2 stroking gas guy but he I think he got bit by the scaler bug lol!!

Here's pics from today with the new Gmade 93mm XD PiggyBacks....wow they are BUTTER SMOOTH!!!! Better than the PL PowerStrokes and the Losi 4" BB's!! Just a PITA to build though.

This rig is now my favorite! Even more than my big old heavy KOH Lucifer buggy!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I like it a lot! It's very clean looking
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Sweet looking Tundra! Those sliders a bumpers are just amazing! I am doing a jeep jk build and may have to find who did yours!
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Contact ScaleReady (Phillip) he's the one who did the bumpers and sliders! He does great work at super reasonable pricing!! I highly recommend him. He's a super cool guy to work with. During the entire process we text/email pics of what I wanted from various baja style designs off several 1:1 rigs to finally come to this result. Basically we combined my ideas with his creativity and talent to build this.

If you look at my first build thread in my sig the KOH Lucifer buggy that chassis was built by the DMG (Jerry) also an awesome vendor here with amazing skills. Not only did he build me an awesome chassis that was inspired from the Wide Open Designs crew...he was with me every step of the way too mocking up what axles/tranny/skid/link designs and even tires that we were working together on. The rig is so strong that weighing in at around 11 pounds RTR weight and falling off a good 6' cliff drop onto a hard limestone bed in Austin, TX head first damaged nothing and just nicked a little piece of material off the front end bumper!!

Jerry (DMG) and Phillip (ScaleReady) are both two highly talented vendors here on RCC and their top notch skills and creativity are no less than spectacular.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I just saw all the rigs in your signature! Very cool. Nice fleet!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I just saw all the rigs in your signature! Very cool. Nice fleet!
Thanks! But the one I regret selling is my full option Tundra High Lift...

That rig set me back a cool $1,600+ with every option Junfac offered for it and I had the Tamiya MFC unit on it as well with all lights/sounds/vibration effects.

Some lucky guy in Atlanta has it now...

Here's the last video I had of it at my LHS before it was packed and shipped:
Tamiya High Lift - YouTube

Tundra SCX-10 Build... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My SCX-10 Tundra olekvi Axial SCX-10 43 02-04-2014 10:36 AM
Axial SCX-10 Tundra List Axial SCX-10 10 01-06-2014 06:31 PM
scx-10/tundra recon build*still going* sj4x4 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 10-22-2011 08:16 PM
SCX Tundra Build Aaronb Axial SCX-10 19 05-06-2010 03:02 PM