Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My Dingo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default My Dingo

I've liked the Dingo ever since the RTR came out way back when... I toyed with the idea of getting one but never did because I like kits.. Plus I already had the first scx that came out, and a honcho kit, and a wraith... so I wasn't hurting at all for a truck to drive.. Then Axial finally came out with the Dingo kit.. Hurrah! Still held off... I always thought the Proline tsl-sx would look perfect on the dingo and that's what I would do someday.. Well, I had those exact tires already on my Honcho... I finally caved to peer pressure and tried a set of pit bull rock beasts on the Honcho so the tsl-sx were now homeless... Perfect time to get a Dingo! So about a month ago I got my Dingo and built it. You all know what a stock truck looks like.

This was my first experience with the Axial 4 link truss as the kit came with two of them.. I really like them! Simple and solid and low profile. Unfortunately the links didn't seem to add up, even the aluminum lowers.. Couldn't get the tires to tuck up into the wheel wells without hitting the flares, which is what I really love about the Dingo and wouldn't dare touch them.. Sooo, I made all my links upper and lowers, with 8/32" all thread and revo rod ends. I sleeved them with a super hard plastic tubing that slides right over rocks like butter.

The Dingo body seems pretty rigid which I like a lot.. Only weak point appeared to be the *doors* between the flares along the bottom.. Very thin and no support in the middle.. The flares themselves help but not enough... Soo I bolted on some L channel aluminum and it's much better now, and looks kinda cool too.

I added the Axial LED kit too.. The simple one the RTR's come with.. I love lights.. I haven't messed with them until this year and it adds a lot to the truck.

Just today I got a new bumper.. I love the stock one, but it's plastic.. Too flimsy and weak, can't stand it... Got an RC Rock Armor *Slayer*.. Talk about beefy. What a fantastic bumper.. Shoe goo'd the leds in the light buckets and mounted the center light buckets into the holes meant for a winch by screwing 3mm grub screws in there and screwing the light buckets down onto them. Had to run the frame mounting bracket upside down to get the bumper low enough, and had to shim the bumper away from the bracket to line up with the body. Used Axial aluminum spacers.

Anddd here it is!

Oh! Electronics..
Holmes BR-XL
Axial 27T motor
Hitec 5645 steering servo

3oz weight all 4 tires.. Sealed up.. Although nothing is waterproof I still cross shallow streams and stuff like that out on the trails.

Only upgrades are aluminum steering knuckles and HR steel tranny gears. Also have 3mm fine threaded bolts for chubs, knuckles, and lockouts. As well as servo mount.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Jus; 11-21-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My Dingo

looks good i like the color
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Thanks. I think this is my favorite scx.. The short wheel base combined with small tires and heavy body make for an interesting drive.. You have to be cautious and really think ahead to navigate through rough terrain. Much fun.

I forgot to tell about my inner fenders and chassis *shields* I'll call them.

The front is made out of a blank CD case holder. I heard of how perfect they were somewhere on this site a long time ago and they were indeed perfect for this. The rest as you can kinda see in the pic is two sections of a plastic sign I cut to contour with the frame and under the body.. Just to give a more realistic look into the rear wheel wells, and to keep dirt/mud/water from getting into the motor and upper CV joints and the esc mounted between the shock towers.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I like the L bracket idea...looks great
BubbaEinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

nice dingo man, i like the idea of them 'chassis shields', that rc rock armour bumper looks great on there.
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Today I received my Gear Head RC "Ute" 1.9 bead locks. Thanks Corey @ RPP for the sweeet black friday deal on these little beauties.

Man, these are such NICE wheels. Fit and finish is perfect. I was even impressed by the hardware.. It's top quality stuff. Didn't get any extras though which surprised me.. And I almost lost one because they're so tiny but thankfully I found it quickly!
I'm not running weight anymore, on this truck anyway.. I did have 3oz per wheel. Also went to a softer foam. A rock crawler, this thing *aint*. I want to keep it light and nimble.

The tsl-sx bead sucks.. It didn't fit very well into the groove on the rims. Very tight.. No holes were stripped installing the rings thankfully. Them suckers aren't letting a bead slip anytime soon, that's for sure!

Totally changes the look of the truck.. I LOVE it.
Sorry for the crappy pic quality.. My lighting sucks and it's snowing so I can't get outside today. Gotta wait for the loctite on the hex bolts to cure until morning anyway. Tomorrow I'll get some outdoor pics.. Will be my first snow action of the season as well.

Thanks for looking.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

you're right, them wheels totally suit the look of the truck, nice one. can't wait to see pics of it outside in the snow.
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Well what little snow there was melted yesterday and made a mess. I didn't feel like having filthy trucks so I waited until today for it to dry out a bit.

This is the least capable rig I own, and I love driving it.

My Dingo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my new dingo :) giviko Axial SCX-10 5 02-19-2012 11:21 AM
new dingo gunatrytocrawl Axial SCX-10 7 06-28-2011 09:59 PM
Just got a new Tr Dingo germanauto Axial SCX-10 3 12-29-2010 03:14 PM