Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Shock Oil Weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Shock Oil Weight

Im used to SCT rigs and an e revo and crawler shocks seem to be a different animal.

im running the stock SCX10 shocks that are currently empty. they leak like a sieve. I was running the dingo kit provided 30wt water before it all leaked out.

1) Any way to make the shocks a little more water tight with out buying new ones?

2) What weight oil should i be running on a 1.9 scaler with a CMS?
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #2

Default Re: Shock Oil Weight

Well i know all factory scx10 shocks come with 30wt. Im not sure what CMS is? THe weight really depends on two factors, 1- how heavy is your truck? 2- what kind of response do you want?

If you are strictly crawling you want a lower wt. oil so the suspension is super soft and slow. If you want more speed control get a heavier weight, low weight will make it very unstable when going fast.

Since the front is useualy heavier then the rear, many people run a higher wt. oil in the front, and a lower in the rear. I have my rear weighted somewhat so im running LOSI 27wt. all the way around. Im on PRO-Line 6060 coil-over though.

Anyhow hope this helps!
H22aVtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

C=Chassis

M=Mounted

S=Servo

I could help you out a little more if I had some details on your rig, just asking about the best shock wt is like me asking you what's my favorite color lol it's all up I you but there are some basic guidelines like how pink is a little off for men, in that sense like light weight oil and a stiff spring is gna make it super bouncy and unstable to crawl but looks very scale on a trail or over minor obstacles, I race corr 4wd mod and its the same principle with spring rates and fluid weights just not as touchy as a shortcourse truck lol

Sent from Outerspace Using My iFreeze Ray Gun

Last edited by Big Tex; 12-20-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Creeper View Post
C=Chassis

M=Mounted

S=Servo

I could help you out a little more if I had some details on your rig, just asking about the best shock wt is like me asking you what's my favorite color lol it's all up I you but there are some basic guidelines like how pink is a little off for men, in that sense like light weight oil and a stiff spring is gna make it super bouncy and unstable to crawl but looks very scale on a trail or over minor obstacles, I race corr 4wd mod and its the same principle with spring rates and fluid weights just not as touchy as a shortcourse truck lol

im going to use the weight axial has for their new jeep plus a little. im sure im a little heavier. ill say about 5 pounds currently. always subject to change.

all weight is over the front end as it should be, receiver box in stock location, esc stuck to the box, servo on drivers side with a full size 2s lipo velcroed on top of the receiver box and servo ( wayy too high up for my liking ). battery tray is in the rear location just looking good.

stock springs. front shocks mounted in furthest rearward hole. rear shock tower moved forward to what im assuming is where a honcho brace is and shocks in furthest forward hole. all 4 shocks at a slight angle. has a little sag in the rear but has noticeable sag in the front. no preload on any shock.

wheels unweighted as i didnt know to when i built it and will do it when i get a good set of beadlocks. foam are cut.

right now i have a terrible go fast motor that gets stupid hot. will eventually be replaced by a 35T and run on 2s. so, itll be slow and steady.

i feel like the panhard on my CMS will effect the dampening.

i really enjoy tuning the e revo inboard shocks. super nice to deal with compared to SCT shocks. a truggyed e revo with massive trenchers likes long travel springs, 36pound if i remember right, with 80wt oil. but thats a heavy go fast rig that gets air sometimes. those springs make scaler springs seem like bic pen springs.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Default Re: Shock Oil Weight

Nothing wrong with the 30wt oil they provide with the kit. I have a Dingo and a Honcho with stock shocks and stock oil. Both weigh about 6 lbs. The Dingo is a year old and the Honcho is likely older (I bought it used) and there's no leaks in the shocks. Put the bladder in the shock cap and then screw it on. Hand tight is all I do.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

My truggy is front heavy with a white girls ass lol at 9lbs 6oz I run losi 25wt with axial red rate springs and I love em, I have a scale bounce but a cushy ride on the rocks, plenty of flex and still running a axle mounted servo, I'd never go cms I love my flex to much, lol so you can start there ad work your way up or down, I'd start with the kit shocks and work with fluids it's way cheaper to swap lol

Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote

Shock Oil Weight - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock Oil weight? tyerfryersc General Scale Talk 2 02-27-2010 10:48 PM
What weight shock oil? Denny Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 05-11-2009 01:43 PM
shock oil weight.......... bob1961 General Crawlers 1 11-13-2008 01:17 AM
What weight shock oil do I want? Zombie76 Chit Chat 0 03-11-2007 07:32 PM
What shock weight oil to use? FFRCJosh Newbie General 8 03-07-2006 10:18 AM