Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: FATALLYILL: SCX10 Cherokee build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: FATALLYILL: SCX10 Cherokee build

I am still on the edge if I am going to buy a lipo right away..
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #22

I would. The only reason I didn't was because I had 3 old NiCd's laying around and a charger. I didn't know of anyone to wheel with, and figured even if I have to change one out every 15 minutes, so be it, still have 45 minutes of run time.

What a pain in the ass though.

Once I can spare some cash, I'll be going LiPo. The batteries would last soooo much longer, and you could really get a good session in before you have to call it quits.

Rob
automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

yea i will try to go lipo. id like to also go brushless but im not sure what to get
Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #24

I really don't think you would have to go brushless for crawling. On top of that, I doubt/don't think the brushless motors are waterproof. You can submerge a brushed motor and they keep kickin'.

Rob
automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan2164 View Post
I really don't think you would have to go brushless for crawling. On top of that, I doubt/don't think the brushless motors are waterproof. You can submerge a brushed motor and they keep kickin'.

Rob
yea but i may want a little more speed. yea i knew that much. Ive wasted alot of time online looking at rc stuff lol
Old 12-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Lipo is certainly the way to go. I have 3 of them
Stay 2 cell until you go brushless
I have a 2200 mah 20c I get about 35-45 min out of
A 3500 mah 20c about an hour
And a 5000 mah. That was bad when I got it from my local hobby town in north brook
In the warranty process now but my brother gets 2+ hours on his dingo with a 5000

I also have a stock trail honcho,I did buy the aluminum steering links
But the thing is rediculusly capable stock

The 27turn motor has pretty good wheel speed and crawls pretty damn good

Another good reason to go ahead and go lipo is the stock esc comes set up for lipo. Meaning it has a low voltage cut
Older batteries want to really get drained before charging.

I remember the days of 10-15 min run times and waiting hours before I could go play again
6 min runs if we were running that 12 turn motor

Brushless would be nice but I'm sure you will be happy with the stock 27t and lipo

When you get it. Light house beach in Evanston is a fun spot to crawl, and I have set up a pretty decent spot in the city near my apartment in humboldt park

Keep making those payments you will love this truck
2.slowduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

hey thanks for the input. i will definitely go lipo. currently still owe $200 on it but Christmas is soon so I should get some money to help it along
Old 12-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Looks great
SinCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATALLYILL View Post
yea but i may want a little more speed. yea i knew that much. Ive wasted alot of time online looking at rc stuff lol
Hey, hey, hey now! Wasted time online looking at Rc stuff! No such thing! Reading a book that leads to the End is a waste of time, knowledge of Rc continues to grow! Thousands of Rc addicts Use hours on line learning everyday..

No need to get brushless to crawl or have good wheel speed.. the 27t will do you good on 2s no problem. Then if you want more, get a 3s.. I went with a 35t an its plenty in all directions. Then I got a 25v capacitor an can throw on 4s for poker/dash runs or g6, trail runs... Lots of options without Using low funds wasted on a brushless system... My .02 anyways..
Mud slingers are good for... Yep, mud.. if you want a good crawling tire, there are lots put there.. like a set of pitbull's.. cough cough.. lol.

Any which way you look at it or go, one thing is certain, have fun with it an enjoy it!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

yea I didnt really mean wasted I guess. lol.

I've watched quite a few videos and the slingers out performed majority for a tire that is going to be used for all offroad conditions my main concern is if I will be satisfied with the scale of the tire in comparison to my XJ body I will have on it.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCity View Post
Looks great
thanks. few more weeks and i should finally have my truck.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #32
Rock Stacker

For now stay 2s. Both my sons are running a SCX10- one dingo, one honcho. Both are very capable rigs with some minor changes. The honcho is running 2.2 swampers. All stock internals and a 27T Axial motor with the stock ESC. For trail riding and comp use this has worked out quite well and is fairly bomb proof. He also likes to do a fair bit of mud bogging, so being able to swap out a motor for $15 when he blows one is a nice bonus. The only real thing we had to buy was metal lower links. With comp use and the 2.2's the stock ones were flexing a bit too much.

We run Lipos, 4200 2s, 45c and get just short of 1 1/2 hrs run time each. We have kept a couple nicads around for those creek run days. He's also got a nasty habit of running the truck completely submerged from time to time and I just don't like the thought of drowning lipos. They would probably be fine but I don't want to chance it.

There's some real easy bumper mods and side bar mods as well that will help the truck out a lot using nothing but stock parts. If you are running 1.9's there's a nice battery tray mod that uses only stock parts and helps out huge.

Last edited by Paul B; 12-20-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

what brand lipo and size do you guys recommend?

I cant wait to get it its gnawing at me. I still owe hobbytown $175
Old 12-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
what brand lipo and size do you guys recommend?

I cant wait to get it its gnawing at me. I still owe hobbytown $175
I use either one of these in my rigs. The truck will run for hours, there pretty inexpensive, and have hard cases that fit right into the stock SCX10 battery tray.

TowerHobbies.com | Duratrax Onyx LiPo 2S 7.4V 4000mAh 25C Hard Case Deans
TowerHobbies.com | Duratrax Onyx LiPo 2S 7.4V 5000mAh 25C Hard Case Deans

This is a dual charger (two batteries at once) made by the same company and comes with balance plugs too.
TowerHobbies.com | Duratrax Onyx 245 AC/DC Dual Charger

I'm sure there's a million others as well.
Spidernad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Also, if you don't want to have change your stock SCX10 plug from your ESC that connects to the battery you can use this nice little adapter.

TowerHobbies.com | Great Planes Deans Male Ultra/Standard Male Adapter

If you are good at soldering and already have the equipment, the cleanest way to go is to cut off the stock plug and solder a deans connector onto the ends.
If you go that route here is the deans connector you need.

TowerHobbies.com | W.S. Deans Male Ultra Plug (2)
Old 12-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

thanks again spidernad
Old 12-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
thanks again spidernad
No problem.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

For lipo, I would check out the nano-tech.. the biggest mah I run is 1300mah 3s.. for scale comps I switched to a higher voltage cap on my fx-r for poker/dash runs an g6's.. I run a 2200mah 4s for them.. the weight of a big battery like that kills ur performance an makes you top heavy.. me myself, I would rather change out a new battery to run for hours then just one big heavy battery.. I have found that buying 3 more reasonablly sized batteries then one huge one is bout the same price +- a couple dollars.. just my .02
The nano-tech bats have proven themselves all season. I have them in many sizes an cells.. bout a dozen an a half of them.. no problems
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Winner has good points but some factors of weight balance is what size battery and where you put them. One large 2s 5000mah LiPo I would mount up front over the front axle as low as possible on the chassis. I've seen very good performance in This area with long run times.
I run 2x 2s 5000mah Gens Ace LiPos on each side of the chassis on my sliders. I can either run them in parallel as 2s 10000mah or in series 4s 5000mah. Gives vehicle good balance and i NEVER CHANGE batteries.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like winner is doing competition stuff, and battery weight and placement is probably much more critical for that.

But for a guy getting his first SCX10 who just wants to go have some fun, a single battery over the front (or rear) axle that will last for hours of fun without stopping to change or recharge batteries would seem a good start. IMO

The SCX10 RTR comes with the battery tray over the rear axle and will work fine like that. The SCX10 has always had the option of locating the battery over the front axle, which gives better traction for climbing hills, etc. so if you want to relocate it to the front, all the screw holes are already there and the truck may even come with the screws and spacers to do it. (the kit versions always do, not sure on the RTR).

It is true that having two smaller batteries, one on each side, mounted on top of the rock rail supports and wired in parallel will give a lower center of gravity and help reduce roll overs.

Front mount 5000mah battery example below.

Last edited by Spidernad; 12-28-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Tags
cherokee, honcho, jeep, scx10

FATALLYILL: SCX10 Cherokee build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cherokee build - Very Scale - SCX10 Spidernad Axial SCX-10 216 11-11-2018 02:07 PM
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" SCX10. Video build & shop scenes. Spidernad Axial SCX-10 18 12-03-2017 02:29 PM
1.9 scx10 XJ / Cherokee... The build begins. DSchulten88 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 02-17-2013 01:30 AM
XJ Jeep Cherokee SCX10 Build rusty577 Axial SCX-10 1 03-03-2011 10:15 AM