Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: FATALLYILL: SCX10 Cherokee build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: FATALLYILL: SCX10 Cherokee build

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
For lipo, I would check out the nano-tech.. the biggest mah I run is 1300mah 3s.. for scale comps I switched to a higher voltage cap on my fx-r for poker/dash runs an g6's.. I run a 2200mah 4s for them.. the weight of a big battery like that kills ur performance an makes you top heavy.. me myself, I would rather change out a new battery to run for hours then just one big heavy battery.. I have found that buying 3 more reasonablly sized batteries then one huge one is bout the same price +- a couple dollars.. just my .02
The nano-tech bats have proven themselves all season. I have them in many sizes an cells.. bout a dozen an a half of them.. no problems
You lost me with all the battery lingo lol. Like spidernad said I'm just getting started and this is just something for me to have fun with by myself and with my friends and their Rcs I'm not going to do anything crazy with it I would just like good power and longevity.
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Gens Ace 2s 5000mah LiPo and you are good for hours.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATALLYILL View Post
You lost me with all the battery lingo lol. Like spidernad said I'm just getting started and this is just something for me to have fun with by myself and with my friends and their Rcs I'm not going to do anything crazy with it I would just like good power and longevity.
LOL,

I found the following link very helpful when I needed to switch from NiCad to LiPo.

I was a LiPo "noob" and this article was perfect for a LiPo beginner wanting to understand the basics.

Understanding RC LiPo Batteries
Spidernad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

from what I've learned i should get a 2s 4000 or 5000... lol. difference between those two sizes?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
from what I've learned i should get a 2s 4000 or 5000... lol. difference between those two sizes?
Just more run time for the 5000mah before having to charge. The higher the mah the more capacity. Think of it like a gas tank. mah is like gallons of fuel, the more gallons / mah the longer you can run. The 4000mah would be plenty too, just depends on your budget. Also the higher the mah the more it weights and the more it costs, like paying for more gas. lol You should really read the info in the link above if you get some time. It really helped me understand batteries a lot better.

Last edited by Spidernad; 12-27-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
what brand lipo and size do you guys recommend?

I cant wait to get it its gnawing at me. I still owe hobbytown $175
Go 3s, more power and speed by far over 2s, and stay brushed for now as it's cheaper and the motors can withstand alot. 45 or 35 turn is good. Shop for RC Hobby Parts and Upgrades - Digital Servos, Brushless Motors, ESC, LiPo Batteries/Chargers for RC Helicopters, RC Planes, RC Cars, Robots and HobbyKing RC Plane, Car, Heli, Boat and MultiRotor Hobby Store are great for lipos and chargers....buy 30C or 40C if you can affford it, 20C is ok though, I run 3s 1300 in my Honcho with 45T brushed and 3s 1300 or 3s 2200 40C in my Wraith with Tekin fxr and Traxxas 21 turn Titan.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
For lipo, I would check out the nano-tech.. the biggest mah I run is 1300mah 3s.. for scale comps I switched to a higher voltage cap on my fx-r for poker/dash runs an g6's.. I run a 2200mah 4s for them.. the weight of a big battery like that kills ur performance an makes you top heavy.. me myself, I would rather change out a new battery to run for hours then just one big heavy battery.. I have found that buying 3 more reasonablly sized batteries then one huge one is bout the same price +- a couple dollars.. just my .02
The nano-tech bats have proven themselves all season. I have them in many sizes an cells.. bout a dozen an a half of them.. no problems
YES and as you said the crawling performanc with smaller mah lipo is huge....those 4000 and 5000 mah lipos make it roll over so much easier and can get in the way if you have lots of steering throw and forward battery.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

He is getting an Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho 4WD RTR

It comes with a 27 turn brushed motor and an Axial AE-2 Forward/Reverse ESC w/Drag Brake, which is only rated for 2S Lipo

Axial AE-2 ESC SPECS:
Input Voltage: 6 cell Nickel/2S Lipo
Dimensions: 1.7 x 1.24" (43.2 x 34.5)
Weight: 1.6oz (45g)
Motor: 19T or greater
On-Resistance FET: 0.0018ohms
Rated/Peak Current: 106A Peak
Braking Current: 106A
BEC Voltage/A: DC 5V/2A
PWM Frequency: 6K Hertz

Last edited by Spidernad; 12-28-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Also, the truck is designed to hold a 7.2v stick pack which weights 10 to 16oz. or a 7.4v Lipo which is lighter, 9oz for a 4000mah or 10.2oz. for a 5000mah.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #50
RCC Addict

I'm not telling you to do it but with an external Castle BEC for your servo you can run 3s all day long on the stock ESC. Plug one into your ESC and listen for the beeps. I've run mine like this with no issue. I'm not saying it's nev3r going have an issue but there are many people who use the 3s with success. Also I have no issue with body roll with my 5000 mah batteries mounted on my sliders. Actually brings the weight down almost as low center of gravity you can get without putting it between the chassis rails. Try a few different options and see which you like best. Remember it's gonna take some dialing in to get your suspension to the way you want it.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidernad View Post
He is getting an Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho 4WD RTR

It comes with a 27 turn brushed motor and an Axial AE-2 Forward/Reverse ESC w/Drag Brake, which is only rated for 2S Lipo

Axial AE-2 ESC SPECS:
Input Voltage: 6 cell Nickel/2S Lipo
Dimensions: 1.7 x 1.24" (43.2 x 34.5)
Weight: 1.6oz (45g)
Motor: 19T or greater
On-Resistance FET: 0.0018ohms
Rated/Peak Current: 106A Peak
Braking Current: 106A
BEC Voltage/A: DC 5V/2A
PWM Frequency: 6K Hertz
I assume that he would add a BEC such as Castle unit as many people here are having good luck with that....otherwise nothing wrong with 2s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
I'm not telling you to do it but with an external Castle BEC for your servo you can run 3s all day long on the stock ESC. Plug one into your ESC and listen for the beeps. I've run mine like this with no issue. I'm not saying it's nev3r going have an issue but there are many people who use the 3s with success. Also I have no issue with body roll with my 5000 mah batteries mounted on my sliders. Actually brings the weight down almost as low center of gravity you can get without putting it between the chassis rails. Try a few different options and see which you like best. Remember it's gonna take some dialing in to get your suspension to the way you want it.
No problem rolling over easy with 5000 mah??? Have you tried some small 1300 to 2200 lipo up front? I borrowed a big battery once and crap it rolls over waaay easier lol. Check out my batter setup here: Natedog's Honcho kit build

Last edited by Natedog; 12-28-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #52
Pebble Pounder

...............uhm? lol

I will most likely not change any of the stock electronics A) for a long ass time lol or B) they break.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

My rtr honcho came with the battery plate mounted up front. Speed control under and behind the tray. So no need to move it

My 5000mah. Is about the same size as the stick packs I have and stays in place.
I have a very small 2200mah I usually run in my drift car or my rc12L
I get good run times with it in the honcho but because of the small size it just won't stay put in the tray
It's too small to get both straps on and it is a pain in the ass to stop take the body off replace the bat continue

The 5000 certainly gives me enough time to play. Especially in these cold Chicago winters
2.slowduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

thats kool i hope mines mounted that way lol
Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

I got mine a little over a month ago so I bet it will be. If not the rtr comes with all the extras the kit does. Shorter links extra stuff etc

I took the spacers out from under my battery tray to get that extra little bit

You will be happy with your stock honcho. It's a hell of a truck
Old 12-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #56
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.slowduo View Post
I got mine a little over a month ago so I bet it will be. If not the rtr comes with all the extras the kit does. Shorter links extra stuff etc

I took the spacers out from under my battery tray to get that extra little bit

You will be happy with your stock honcho. It's a hell of a truck
I figured as much. Depending on my check (its going to be low most likely) I may be picking up my honcho tomorrow. fingers crossed haha
Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Always fun to start the new year with a new toy. I hope hobbytown calls me tomorrow to say the parts I ordered for my drift car are in

I can't wait to get some four wheel drive runs in with my new modified motor. It is uncontrollable with only 2wd
Old 12-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.slowduo View Post
Always fun to start the new year with a new toy. I hope hobbytown calls me tomorrow to say the parts I ordered for my drift car are in

I can't wait to get some four wheel drive runs in with my new modified motor. It is uncontrollable with only 2wd
what is your drift car?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #59
Pebble Pounder

UPDATE. Picked up my honcho yesterday and got my body mounted and links changed last night/this morning. still have yet to give her a run. I'm not really happy about all the snow on the ground for that... lol

and some of my window stickers. rc sparks adventure youtube channel is pretty sweet ;)
Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
UPDATE. Picked up my honcho yesterday and got my body mounted and links changed last night/this morning. still have yet to give her a run. I'm not really happy about all the snow on the ground for that... lol
Happy New Year! Congrats! Man, you've been busy. The truck is looking great!
Looks like the front sits a little lower than the back. Maybe adjust the shock spring tension rings to get it even. Good luck with it.

Tags
cherokee, honcho, jeep, scx10

FATALLYILL: SCX10 Cherokee build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cherokee build - Very Scale - SCX10 Spidernad Axial SCX-10 216 11-11-2018 02:07 PM
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" SCX10. Video build & shop scenes. Spidernad Axial SCX-10 18 12-03-2017 02:29 PM
1.9 scx10 XJ / Cherokee... The build begins. DSchulten88 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 02-17-2013 01:30 AM
XJ Jeep Cherokee SCX10 Build rusty577 Axial SCX-10 1 03-03-2011 10:15 AM