Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Advantage to using Wraith transmission over Scx-10??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #1

Default Advantage to using Wraith transmission over Scx-10??

I bought a Dingo when they first came out yrs ago, converted it to a Honcho and was happy with it! Then I bought a Wraith and wasn't all that impressed with it, somehow the Wraith axles, transmission and Timbuk2 system found their way under the Wroncho and I absolutely LOVE it now!! Well long story short I bought a new Scx-10 JK last week and have already tore down my other Wraith and built a Wrubicon out of it!! My question is this: is there an advantage to running the Wraith trans? I'm not putting dig on anything, jus pretty much stock. Is one stronger than the other?
Diesaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Advantage to using Wraith transmission over Scx-10??

Dude, the wrubicon is sweet!!! I like it, and unfortunately I have no experience with the wraith trans so I can't really provide much if any input but I do like the jeep, that thing looks awesome! Merry Xmas!
Kykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
RCC Addict

cant wait for the axial jeep to come back in stock at tower.. anyway i think the transmission are pretty much the same.. the Wraith you can buy a dig from axial for it. think it might come with a servo too
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Rig looks great! I don't think there is any strength advantage gears wise, etc. But from what I know, the Wraith version has steel outputs the are drilled through for a full set screw. On the SCX versions the set screw just pinches on the output where as the Wraith and newer Scx's have screws that go all the way through the output. Helps keep the driveshafts from spinning on the outputs. I think (but am not positive) that the Wraith version may be a little longer measured from tip of front output to the tip of rear output. May help on longer wheelbase rigs? It's hard to tell by looking at pics of the two trans on size. Maybe the Wraith one just appears longer??? But internals seem to be a wash (same) on either.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
I joined the Band!

I have a wraith trans on my SCX. Well, to clarify, I have a hybrid of both SCX and Wraith trans parts. I had a full SCX trans when a few of the holes stripped out. I got a set of Wraith case halves in a trade. The output shafts and lower bearings are different as one side is extended due to the added room for the dig setup. Other than that, all the internals from the SCX fall right into place. I did have to use a different size driveshaft on one end as the stock shaft was too long. I have my trans flipped so what should have been the rear (where the dig is located) ended up in the front and that required the shorter shaft. Turns out, Traxxas yokes from a Slash are a perfect fit for the outputs with the through hole. The cool part is someday I can make it selectable 2wd/4wd if I ever buy the dig unit and a 3 channel radio.
devestator_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #6

Thank y'all for the kind words! If one is no stronger than the other, I would rather use the Scx-10 trans because like Mr Rook82 said the Wraith trans is longer which puts the rear driveline in a bind. Thanks for the input!
Diesaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

You can get the drilled solid final gear/output shaft for the SCX10 transmission as well. I believe the honcho's came with drilled shafts.
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The newer scx kits come with thru hole trans outputs. The wb8 Driveshafts have always been run with m3 screw pins since their release.

Now the standalone trans kit comes old school style on the other hand, lack of gear cover and hollow alum trans outputs with single flats.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advantage to using Wraith transmission over Scx-10?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Transmission fit on a SCX-10? JS412 Axial SCX-10 17 04-12-2011 05:34 PM
scx-10 transmission plate ?? rc dreemer Axial SCX-10 5 02-20-2011 09:54 AM
scx transmission maui454 Axial SCX-10 7 05-10-2009 09:42 PM