Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Help me out guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #1

Default Help me out guys

So I am planning on getting a scx10 within the next 2 months I have run into a issue do I buy the kit and build it or for what im looking at putting into the kit i could probably buy 2 rtr. With the way i have everything priced out for the kit im looking somewhere in the 650 range while 2 rtr's would be right around 700 niether of these include any discounts. I explained the situation to the wife and she just rolled her eyes and said what do you need 2 of them for.
Mudd Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Don't let her destroy your options of having 2, just tell her I have 5 haha, but honestly better off buying a kit an decking it out with the money you would use for the 2nd one tricked up scx10 is better than 2 stocko's unless u have a friend to run with
CiLyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Help me out guys

what he said^^^ I have a stocker, and have run into plenty of problems that some of the people with kits wouldn't.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I would recommend the kits. Building to me is half the fun and you'll be very familiar with your rig when you're ready to upgrade. If you want better gear or making mods then I would go with one. A stock rig is very capable though. I'm building two so if someone is over we can go out and have some fun! Who knows, your wife might like driving one.
juswin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
I joined the Band!

i look at it this way..

do you know all the parts and how they go together and what makes them tick and work together?

i bought a rtr scx-10 (xcs trail chassis based) and have no clue what is inside of the axles or trans.. will get there when they break...

my ax10 i traded my tmaxx for so once again... i have done more to it though...

in the end a kit will allow you to learn what is where and how it functions.. but if you want to save on a dime then rtr.... all depends...
good luck
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Buy the kit and spend the extra money on upgrades! You will be better off In the long run to know how to take it apart when something breaks or you need to upgrade something. Dont let the kit intimidate you they arent that hard to build.
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Suck it up!

The RTR isn't bad, just a few things need attention and they won't cost an arm and a leg. No point in going all in right off the bat if you don't need to. They are plenty of fun without going crazy. You can always upgrade as you go.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #8

I built my exo as a kit so that isn't really my concern I actually enjoyed it and that's why id like to do another kit but for the cost I'm not sure its worth it over the rtr. This is what I'm looking into electronics wise if I go with a kit. Castle sidewinder v3 waterproof(already have castle link so makes sense for settings), hitec waterproof servo, tekin 35t motor and either spektrum or futaba radio/receiver.

RAZR Maxx Tapatalk'd
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I would go with the kit. You can hold some of the costs down by not upgrading parts until they break.

You can hold down the radio cost by getting a receiver for the transmitter you have for the Exo. Another low cost approach is to watch the RPP salvage yard for a radio/receiver from a SCX10 or Wraith RTR.

I would also checkout the Holmes Hobbies Waterproof BRXL esc. It is optimized for crawling and you can use castle link with it. The Torque Master Expert gives you good quality for the price.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

id spend the extra 50 and get the second truck. you'll get bored playing by yourself. the rtr will come with a manual with exploded views and parts lists with numbers, so fixing it wont be a problem
kit or rtr will both still need the same upgrades except for links, the kit has aluminum links already.
tranny gears,driveshafts,c hubs and knuckles are definite upgrades. then depending on your driving,may need some axle upgrades
the AE-2 esc is pretty good and easy to waterproof if you want to get wet. you can use the castle link with a AE-2,it'll run 3s to but you'll need a external BEC to do it

tell the wife its just like her shoes or bags or whatever, its a good deal and you need another one to match your outfit

Last edited by stanmondz; 12-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Skip the kit and buy 2. Upgrade as things fail and enjoy.

Fat fingered from the phone- Corey
SunShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #12

Think I am going to end up with two RTR that way I have an extra if one of the kids or the wife decide she wants to go with or if any of my friends want to give it a try. Thanks for all the input guys.

Help me out guys - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thanks guys! JohnRobHolmes Chit Chat 20 06-30-2011 02:20 PM
Need your guys help rockwerks Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 1 10-09-2006 05:58 PM
any computer guys? how bout bronco guys? Bronco Fetish Chit Chat 10 09-11-2006 05:48 PM