Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: What turn motor for 2s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What turn motor for 2s

Im still a brushed n00b. I think Ive spent too much times with my brushless go fast rigs.

Now that ive 99% finished a scale body Im looking for a brushed motor for the SCX10. Since my current system in it sucks I dont drive it enough to know it very well. Havnt even broken a part on it yet and Ive had it almost a year.

Ill be running 2s on the rig for a long while yet. No plans of going back to 3s. All the go fast rigs run a pair of 2s packs.

Would I be wanting to run something in the 35-45T range or will I still have enough wheel speed in the 55T on 2s with the Axial tranny and diffs? Ill be mostly trailing with the local scalers and some crawling when I can.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

55t is mostly for rocks and your not gna have any fun on a trail with a 55t I ran one for so long and then I switched to a 45t and it was night and day, and now I went 35t and it's a blast! It has wheel speed like a mother and still plenty of torque even though my rigs about 9-1/2lbs as of now fully equipped, and all I will ever run is 2s, just like you I never really break anything on mine and ill never go 3s I'm geared 14/87 right now but I could always go up to 16/87 for some more wheel speed but I like where I'm at now, also the tire size is a factor, I'm running ttc claws so I have more of a rotating mass meaning I'm rolling a little father than someone on flatirons lol

Sent from Outerspace Using My iFreeze Ray Gun
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: What turn motor for 2s

I'd recommend a at least a 35 turn, or better yet 27 or even a bit lower if you are limiting yourself to 2s batteries. I run a 27 on 3s and its about right. Wouldn't be happy with anything slower. A 45 on 2s would be painfully slow IMO.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
I'd recommend a at least a 35 turn, or better yet 27 or even a bit lower if you are limiting yourself to 2s batteries. I run a 27 on 3s and its about right. Wouldn't be happy with anything slower. A 45 on 2s would be painfully slow IMO.

Gear down, volt up!

I'm experimenting with motors at the moment, but for general crawling stuff I like the 35t on 3s. For bombing around or trail runs, something with a bit more speed is in order.

You could also go with a sensored brushless system...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Honestly Ive run Traxxas Titan 12T motors in both my wraiths and my honcho and its oodles of wheels speed and tons of torque, but I had to gear down because my honcho would reverse wheelie if I stomped on the reverse too hard lol

I did have to beef up a bit for the extra torque, MIP's, no slop HD lockers, aluminum chubs, knucks, and universals, and robinson trans beef with a steel spur but now she's almost bombproof.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

im probably around 6-6.5 pounds right now with the new F350 lid. Im also running little tiny 1.9 dirt grabbers. i can probably do to gear up a little then. i am hoping to just run the stock in the box dingo gears. i also have a 15T to use though thats on my 17T i used to have in there. that was much too fast for me.

i have a outcry on the mail so i should be good for 4s! itll probably never see even 3s though.

all my go fast rigs implode but they are running 2s or 4s on way too much motor. the e revo is running a 6 pole brushless that does backflips on 4s with punch at 3/10 yet is smooth enough to crawl...of it had locked diffs. ive tried, the comp guys though it was pretty funny.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i run a brood 35t on 2s geared 14/87
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

i ran a 12t on 2s in a scx but i think for trailing with a bit of crawling a holmes 35t or their 27t motor would do the trick
tb10151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb10151 View Post
i ran a 12t on 2s in a scx but i think for trailing with a bit of crawling a holmes 35t or their 27t motor would do the trick
Yea when I was running it I had the throttle at 65% on my flysky and reverse at 55% lol so I always had that power on tap

Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
RCC Addict

i run the 55t on 2s in my honcho and ax10 and it would be way too slow for trailing.. i'd go for a 35t
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Hand wound 35T would be my recommendation. I use a 2S on my rig and I personally ended up settling on a 45T motor with a smaller pinion mounted to it as my preferred setup. I do very hard technical crawling with my rig as well as trailing, so that's why I like this setup. But a little extra speed couldn't hurt if yours will just be a trail truck, so that's why I vote for a 35T.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRockNoCookie View Post
Hand wound 35T would be my recommendation. I use a 2S on my rig and I personally ended up settling on a 45T motor with a smaller pinion mounted to it as my preferred setup. I do very hard technical crawling with my rig as well as trailing, so that's why I like this setup. But a little extra speed couldn't hurt if yours will just be a trail truck, so that's why I vote for a 35T.
x2 I settled for more low speed control with the 45t i ran mostly technical rock courses with very little trail

But now that i run strictly group trails the 35t is my next step down for wheel speed and just to have that power on tap

Because what's more fun than a scaler slinging dirt

What turn motor for 2s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Higher Turn Motor Vs Lower Turn Motor ? ReignMan Newbie General 10 11-15-2009 10:40 PM
higher turn motor or lower turn motor......... bob1961 Newbie General 6 03-18-2008 09:16 PM