Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Thinking of upping my voltage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #1

Default Thinking of upping my voltage

So here's what I got:
Br-xl esc
Hitec 645mg servo
Currently switching between a 55t, 27t axial motors, and a traxxas 12t motor. Thinking of picking up a 35 or 45 turn rc4wd motor.
Right now I'm running a 2s 4800 mah 25c Gen ace saddle pack battery.

I'm waiting on a second Gen ace saddle pack that's currently on back order that's the same as I already have.

So I would like to get a couple Gen ace 3s batteries to run in a saddle pack configuration. My first question is if I get two small 3s batteries do I run in series or parallel to maintain a 3s rating and double my man and c rating?

Once I get my second 2s battery I would like to run them in a 4s configuration in conjunction with my 55t motor for some sled pulling

My next question is will I need to use a bec to accomplish this? If so what kind? I'm kind of a dunce on electricity so I needs some help. How do you wire the bec in? Will in need to be removed when only using a 2s battery?

Sorry for no pics of my set up, my computer is down and I'm using my girlfriends tablet. Its taking five times longer to type than in should.

Thanks in advanced for any input and help.
atrain20210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Thinking of upping my voltage

That ESC won't need a BEC unless you add more and/or stronger servos. You could get a bigger servo and use yours as a winch servo and still have wiggle room except for the strongest servos out there.

To get the two 2s packs wired into 4s (or two 3s into 6s) you need series wiring. Make (or buy) a Deans adapter to wire ESC + to batt1+, batt1- to batt2+, batt2- to ESC -. The wires/plugs make a kinda circle on this style adapter.

To get double mah from like 2s or 3s packs you need parallel wiring. A simple + to +, - to - Deans adapter, Y style

A nice sport level machine wind motor from Holmes or Brood would serve you very well, something in the 35, 40, or 45T range. Super long run times on 2s and 3s and all out power on 4s would be a nice flexible setup.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrain20210 View Post
My first question is if I get two small 3s batteries do I run in series or parallel to maintain a 3s rating and double my man and c rating?

Parallel.

Once I get my second 2s battery I would like to run them in a 4s configuration in conjunction with my 55t motor for some sled pulling

Series for 4S.

My next question is will I need to use a bec to accomplish this? If so what kind?

HERE are some kind words of advice from the creator of your ESC.

I'm kind of a dunce on electricity so I needs some help. How do you wire the bec in?

You've got a plethora of choices.
To get power from the battery to the BEC, you could......
carry a second smaller battery and use the small one to power the BEC (kinda like the nitro guys do),
or..... I just soldered the BEC's input wires right into the ESC's connector (the one that plugs into the battery pack).

To get power from the BEC to the servo/radio you could...... plug the BEC's output into any open slot on the receiver, this requires you to remove the red wire from the connector that plugs the ESC into the receiver, or else the internal BEC and external BEC will 'fight' each other, promising disappointing (and perhaps expensive) results. Don't cut the red wire, as you'll need it inserted back in to the connector to do any programming of the ESC with the CastleLink or Field Programming Card.

Or..... you could install one of
THESE, and you would then pull the red from the harness's Rx connector. Then the red on the ESC would stay inserted, you'd have an open port for programming. This is the way I went on my SCX and my Ravager (e-conversion), and it works pretty good if your receiver is tucked down in a box and not easily accessible.

Or..... you could buy one of
THESE, and then you'd plug your BEC and servo into the bypass, plug the bypass into the receiver, and you're done, no pulling of red wires from the ESC. This is probably your easiest route.

Will in need to be removed when only using a 2s battery?

No.
There's probably some diagrams in the "stickies" in the electronics section, too.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #4

I guess I'm a little foggy on the function of a bec. Indiana says I shouldn't need one while trubble say I will need one. Can some one else chime in on this. I'm just concerned that adding a bec will cause more trouble than needed.

Thanks for the responses so far
atrain20210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Your setup will be more efficient/stronger servo with a bec, but some can get away with not using one on 2s. When your pack voltage goes up its harder for the esc to kick down the internal bec voltage. Anything past 2s and the esc may start being overworked.

IMO Just get it over with, small bit of soldering and some new wires then done. If you don't know how to solder or don't have the supplies, might as well get that out of the way too as the hobby occasionally calls for it.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thinking of upping my voltage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Im thinking thinking about whats next...lol buggynutt Kyosho Crawlers 6 03-08-2012 09:04 AM
Im thinking I want 1 of these jetboat Chit Chat 14 11-28-2010 02:57 PM
upping the voltage jordi555 Electronics 16 04-23-2009 01:12 AM
NEED INFO: High kV + Low Voltage 'vs' Low kV + High Voltage? Chadworkz Electronics 9 01-28-2009 06:56 PM
thinking of getting something different 86ss1 Chit Chat 20 06-03-2005 02:27 PM