Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Choosing a Motor and ESC for my SCX10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Choosing a Motor and ESC for my SCX10?

Hi I SAW THIS "STICKY" In the Wrath section and I was wondering if some of you could tell me the same info , but for my scx10. I know the info is out there and I have searched but I would just kind it simply laid out for me, if you have the time. Thanks Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I'll refine this as time goes.

Choosing a Motor and ESC

The most common question asked in the Wraith section seems to be “What motor should I run”. I can see why people don’t know what motor to chose, it is a multi-level problem to solve. While those questions will never stop hopefully we can cut some of them down by adding this reference.

To make a long story short, for more detailed info read the following posts:

Good speed and OK crawling: Tekin 13.5 Redline (or Tekin Pro 4 3300) and Castle Mamba Max Pro – Faster than stock 20t motor and fairly smooth low end. Not a good choice for water or mud.

Good crawling and OK speed: Holmes Crawlmaster 13t and Holmes BRXL – OK for water and mud as long as you get the waterproof ESC and keep your motor maintained.

Best for crawling and low speed: Holmes 35t TorqueMaster Pro and Holmes BRXL – Smooth crawling with enough wheel speed to get up hills.
5VoltDetonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #2

Default Re: Choosing a Motor and ESC for my SCX10?

Its really based on your driving style. For example when I know I'll be running on flat ground in mud or snow I like the traxxas 12t with a two or three s lipo. For more of a slow crawling type I go with an axial 55t with two s lipo. If I'm doing a tractor pull I do a 55t with three or four s lipo. And for trail rides I like the axial 27 turn. All of these motors are relatively inexpensive and easily replaceable. But the can last a long time if properly cleaned and oiled on a regular basis.

I've tried the stock ae-2? Esc, the traxxas xl-5, and a torque master br-xl esc from Holmes hobbies. The most versatile esc is the br-xl. It can run up to a six s lipo, and has no turn limit on 540 can motors. Plus you can get it waterproof with a sixty day warrenty.

I have yet to try a thirty five turn or fourth five turn motor but I hear that they are a good compromise between torque and wheel speed.

As you may or may not know with brushed motor, I have no clue about brush less, the higher the number of turns the more torque you get but its slower whereas a low turn motor has higher speed but less torque.

Again, its all about your driving style and your situational driving conditions

Hope I have helped somewhat with my limited knowledge on different brand motors and esc's I just know I like what I run.
atrain20210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrain20210 View Post
Its really based on your driving style..
Thanks great information- I hope others will also reply, with some of the same type of info with thre own perspective on it.

I'm really new- so I'm still figuring out my driving style. I know I don't want to go too fast ( I got a SCTE w/ Pro 4 for that ) - want to keep using 2S.

I just wanted to know what my options were. I saw the other Sicky where everyone said what was powering there scx10 but it did not say how they were driving it. And I know there are a lot of different driving styles like you said.

I'm meeting some other local crawlers soon so I'll probly know more when I see what others have and what I need to keep up with.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Whats up 5volt!! My buddy just picked up this motor TowerHobbies.com | Tekin 35T Pro Hand Wound Rock Crawler Motor
And we took it out by san yisdro and it wasent bad at all! I thought it was great from crawling and isnt too slow! I have the same motor but a little different but his is a little faster then mine.
The esc that i run is a castle sidewinder. It works great for me but its not waterproof but thats a easy fix!
Hollaitzwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollaitzwillie View Post
Whats up 5volt!! My buddy just picked up this motor TowerHobbies.com | Tekin 35T Pro Hand Wound Rock Crawler Motor
And we took it out by san yisdro and it wasent bad at all! I thought it was great from crawling and isnt too slow! I have the same motor but a little different but his is a little faster then mine.
The esc that i run is a castle sidewinder. It works great for me but its not waterproof but thats a easy fix!
Cool I'm going to have to get down there and check out your spot soon, and see what a better motor runs like- thanks.

Choosing a Motor and ESC for my SCX10? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added! Harley Axial Wraith 2065 05-06-2022 01:02 PM
Help choosing motor/esc for build Ernie W Electronics 19 06-08-2011 03:14 PM
motor/esc for SCX10 Snowmanx7 Electronics 9 08-26-2010 05:45 AM
scx10 motor and esc crazynewb95 Electronics 5 12-05-2009 06:52 PM
Choosing esc muddeprived Newbie General 7 04-06-2007 04:51 AM