Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Steering upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #1

Default Steering upgrades?

Hey all,
New on here and new to crawling.I picked up a Honcho about 3 weeks ago and i'm having a blast! I've already upgraded a couple things and did some little mods here and there and now i'm looking to change out the stock plastic steering stuff for something that's stronger and gives better steering,etc.Any ideas? I'm thinking about going with this Integy Steering Block / Linkage (2), Silver: SCX-10

Any other kits,info,help is appreciated!
Tayrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Steering upgrades?

Don't do that. I have never had good luck with Integy parts.

Here are some links to better quality parts.

AXIAL SCX10 PARTS

Axial Racing - Aluminum Knuckle - Black (2pcs)

Axial Racing - Aluminum C Hub Carrier - Black (2pcs)

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chass...-scx-10-a.html

Titanium Steering and Suspension Links for SCX10 Honcho and Rubicon

This is just a short list. Do some searching on the forum and you will find others.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

the integy kit will technically work, and will improve the strength of the steering parts so they're not flexing - but will NOT net you more steering. i can't comment on the quality of these parts (but i use integy motor and it's great) -- for the price it's not a bad kit to buy if that's all you're planning on upgrading for now (and planning to upgrade it again down the road). downside to this kit is the knuckles are standard, not hi-steer; and don't come with metal c-hubs to match (not really a concern until you start beating on the rig or putting lots of hours on the stockers), steering links are easy to make yourself and kit leaves your servo on the axle (depends on if you want scale CMS setup or not).

if you truly want more steering, you'll need a couple things in combination: high-steer knuckles to put steering link above the bulge on the axle (so it doesn't hit and limit steering, CVD steering axles to allow more steering angle without binding, radio with EPA adjustments, metal servo arm, new steering servo + BEC controller (not essential, but eventually you'll want it)

for just "stronger" steering, where your steering link itsn't flexing in a bind - then i'd just recommend putting a metal steering link in there until you're ready to upgrade the rest. yes, the metal link will make the knuckles the weak point, but you may have a spare set in your parts bag. really depends on what your plans are and how soon you plan to invest more $ into your rig.

you should check in on the Sacramento Scaler GTG/Comps thread every now and then to see when the locals are having a GTG.

good luck!
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Friends don't let friends buy integy! There's better quality products out there to spend your hard earned money on... Like axial and vanquish
Honchoforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I did the Axial linkage and STRC knucles and C-Hubs.

Seems to be a good affordable set up for my rig.

Good luck!!!
Ghostrider304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #6

Thanks for the words,everyone.
I'm not really looking to upgrade my whole steering set up just yet,I basically just want to replace the stock steering link with something not plastic.Between watching it flex when i'm getting into hard binds,and having it fully exposed due to my new front bumper,it needs to go.

Sounds like this might be right up my alley? Axial Steering Link Upgrade Kit [AXI30426] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

And Perkolator-I'd be psyched to meet up with some locals who can show me some spots and the finer points of driving.I'll keep on eye on that forsure.
Tayrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

that kit willll work if you want to buy something ready to go. but seriously, for $20 you can buy all the material you need to DIY your steering link and have enough material to do ALL your links, and have leftovers for 1-2 mess-ups. search DIY links here on RCC. Since you're in Folsom, go to HobbyTown on Bidwel and buy some Traxxas Revo rod ends (just tell them what you're doing), then go across the parking lot to Home Depot and buy a couple pieces of 8-32 all-thread in the hardware section. Lastly, go down the road to Auto Zone and buy some straight 1/4" brakeline. all tools you'll need is simply something to cut the metal (hacksaw/dremel/tube cutter/etc), some pliers to help thread the rod into the rod ends, and possibly an 8-32 tap to tap the rod ends so things go easier, but not necessary since they're plastic and you can just use your man-hands. Done.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
that kit willll work if you want to buy something ready to go. but seriously, for $20 you can buy all the material you need to DIY your steering link and have enough material to do ALL your links, and have leftovers for 1-2 mess-ups. search DIY links here on RCC. Since you're in Folsom, go to HobbyTown on Bidwel and buy some Traxxas Revo rod ends (just tell them what you're doing), then go across the parking lot to Home Depot and buy a couple pieces of 8-32 all-thread in the hardware section. Lastly, go down the road to Auto Zone and buy some straight 1/4" brakeline. all tools you'll need is simply something to cut the metal (hacksaw/dremel/tube cutter/etc), some pliers to help thread the rod into the rod ends, and possibly an 8-32 tap to tap the rod ends so things go easier, but not necessary since they're plastic and you can just use your man-hands. Done.

This is the best option imho. I have done this with the exception of I used aluminum tube I found at Ace Hardware. Just a different preference in the outer material for the links. I don't think the Home D's carry the aluminum tube at least in my area, but Ace did. Ace also carried the threaded rod so it was a one stop deal (other then ordering rod ends, which I have tons of). If you want to do any custom wheelbase, you will need to make custom links anyways. Most bodies out there need a tweak in length to get the wheels in the perfect place. By doing this you have easily made to length but durable links for much less $ then buying premade.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

aluminum will work, but it gouges easily on rocks and can make a burr that can hang you up. i bash the shit outta my rig and have broken most of my steel tubework multiple times, but i've never really had any issues with DIY links. I've bent a few to hell, but the only time one broke was a steering link that busted after a full-speed collision with a rock (after a few dozen packs run through the rig), and i also broke a rod end on a link that i extended with a spacer (left dead space inside the rod end) instead of just making a new one. they are pretty durable IMO and DIY is always better even just for the learning experience.

Steering upgrades? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering Upgrades bigwill5686 Axial SCX-10 2 07-18-2012 12:30 PM
VP steering upgrades question BrianP Axial Wraith 3 03-06-2012 10:48 AM
Losi MRC Steering Upgrades bogfrog Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 01-15-2011 09:40 PM
Steering Upgrades???? bigstu Axial XR10 7 09-17-2010 07:27 PM