Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Honcho bumper ideas and options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Honcho bumper ideas and options

Ok, so as many other honcho owners know the front bumper is a bit.....hindering, especially in the stock location, I've run this stock bumper long enough, I can't stand the hang ups and line destroying times this thing has caused me over the last year or so. So, it's good riddance!!!

That's where you guys come in! I need options and opinions from you guys, ultimately I will pick something I like personally hence it's my truck, but I would like your alls suggestions. I'll post up a few pics of my truck to get a good idea of space and the body. Would still like to have winch mount also. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Kykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Honcho bumper ideas and options

Hey nice truck! I've got an old dingo bumper cut down on my Comanche, I've got a thread on here so you can see it if you want I've mounted my winch on there and I like it! If you have one laying around or got some spare change, I'd get one!
SCALER14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm going with the dingo bumper as well. The honcho bumper looks great but it is just to bulky and in stock form hangs down way to low.
XJrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Or you could make your own.
Here is mine

Sent from under there.
Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ironically enough I do have a dingo bumper, I'll try it out for looks, maybe a temporary solution but I would like to have a metal bumper.

I might try making my own. I'm a firm believer in built not bought, but sometimes cost of building(if you do or don't have the equipment) vs buying a nice quality made bumper is so off that it makes sense to just buy one?

With that being said, who are some good bumpers coming from nowadays? Rpp? Rc4wd?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #6

AXIAL SCX10 Shield bumper for 8274 quick sand winch
I went with that on my Honcho.
Doesn't stick out in front half as much,sticks out even less on the sides,and is adjustable up and down.Also has a spot for a winch.
Tayrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Well if your lookin to keep the metal look another option would be to do what me n most others have done n just cut the sides off the bumper. Gets rid of hangs ups and such and All that would be left is the middle portion of the bumper which will give it that "stinger" type look n plus itll still have your winch mount
creepinchevy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I thought about cutting the stock honcho but I'm not sure how the body and floor pan will look with the corners cut. Functionality would be great but I'm not sure if it would look right. Plus If I beat on any of my rigs, it's this one and I'd like to do a metal bumper for strength.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I put the dingo bumper on with the winch and my d rings, liking it already! Not metal like I'd like but for free swap, you guys were right. Definitely helped with hang up problem!
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
RCC Addict

a friend has this bumper on his scx10 with the proline F250 body... looks good.. added some d-rings to it too...

Tough Armor Winch Bumper with Grill Guard to fit Axial SCX10

im running a bumper that i built.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

It looks too wide--> That truck might actually look good with a shaved down version of the dingo bumper. That is, cut the bumper to the width of the truck and remove the second loops that would be left hanging. hey, it's a free part, no loss.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
It looks too wide--> That truck might actually look good with a shaved down version of the dingo bumper. That is, cut the bumper to the width of the truck and remove the second loops that would be left hanging. hey, it's a free part, no loss.
That or the new AXial Jeep JK bumper. Dingo or JK bumper can be lifted by custom mount or stack two stock bumper mounts and add side brace.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I'm not a fan of the hacked dingo bumper, not chopped down like your describing anyways, I don't think it would look right on my c-10. I've chopped the corners and that took bout an 1/8th of an inch off each side. It looks wide because the nose of this body shrinks the closer you get to the front bumper. Testing it out on my indoor course it did a lot better than a stock honcho bumper. It'll do for now since it was free!

The new bumper for the new rubi looks bada$$ but I'm not looking to spend 50 bucks on one just yet. I'll be keeping and eye out for options.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I bought a used Honcho earlier this month I've been working on. I wanted to alter the front bumper slightly and change out the aluminum skid panels. So I had an old speaker grille I saved from an old radio that I put to good use. The Honcho will most likely be painted black so it should flow well with the black wheels and black bumper.

KillerBlackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I like that! Different look and an option.... My .02 cents worth though, those tiny little holes are like little fingers all over the front bumper, they might have a tendency to "grab" objects instead of letting you slide on them like the aluminum panels. But I do like the looks!! Keep us posted on the performance!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I can't believe how exact your cuts are on the speaker grill ?!?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kykrawler View Post
I like that! Different look and an option.... My .02 cents worth though, those tiny little holes are like little fingers all over the front bumper, they might have a tendency to "grab" objects instead of letting you slide on them like the aluminum panels. But I do like the looks!! Keep us posted on the performance!
The grille feels like its made from aluminum, I was thinking the same thing with getting it hung up on rocks but ill see how it works. It's a thinner material than the stock solid panels so the bumper is slightly lighter too. I may keep my eye out next time I'm in Walmart or Staples to see what I can find for metal paper holder racks made from small mesh. Probably lots of different things you can use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
I can't believe how exact your cuts are on the speaker grill ?!?
It's not super perfect, I used the original panels as a template and cut them out with tin snips and drilled out the mounting holes.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I really like it, it would look great with a logo stenciled onto it. I don't think it will hang up on anything, it may dent easily, but that's fine, it'll look great.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I've just cut out the top half of the middle and installed a 3" Mad Dog RC light bar in the opening.

Last edited by KillerBlackbird; 01-16-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
That or the new AXial Jeep JK bumper. Dingo or JK bumper can be lifted by custom mount or stack two stock bumper mounts and add side brace.
Here's mine with the JK front bumper.

k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote

Honcho bumper ideas and options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ideas on Mounting Front Bumper/Bull Bar?? alexchen86 Tamiya XC/CC01 5 03-15-2012 06:46 AM
Honcho front bumper mounting options... hh65flyer Axial SCX-10 9 06-29-2010 02:46 PM
Motor options for the Honcho ser3100 Axial SCX-10 1 01-11-2010 12:27 PM
Custom Bumper Ideas mrbigg81 General Scale Talk 3 11-05-2007 12:08 PM