Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Brand New SCX10 Honcho RTR - Top upgrades??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Brand New SCX10 Honcho RTR - Top upgrades??

Hey guys, just picked up a brand new SCX10 Honcho RTR. I'm no new guy to Axial vehicles, but never had an SCX10. I want to do some scale trailing and would like to have your opinions on must have upgrades to get it going decent. I know on my Wraith that links, servo, battery placement and shock lowering we're crucial.

Thanks ahead of time!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
RichMTB01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Brand New SCX10 Honcho RTR - Top upgrades??

basically the same, links and battery first. found my scx springs pretty soft, the truck lowered itself once loaded with a hard body and dual battery's.

I dont like my truck to be way heavier in the front then the rear, but i like it to be a bit biased to the front. my battery is at the rear still but most run it sideways in front of the trans. Metal links are a must as far as im concerned, decent servo. then some weight in the wheels as you see fit.
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Not to beat a dead horse with a fly swatter.

Simply the best results is take a look at other builds.
Read their build post and find out what upgrades they have chosen.
Best way to find the answers is by reading others.

Heck be original and choose what you like to see on yours and post a build thread.

Also it all depends on your drive skill too.
If its an everyday basher, or just a weekend warrior on the trails.
shwng1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

IMO after links I would do tires and brushless high turn combo. I'm still running my stock servo and I beat the crap out of my truck( with that said I'm sure my will go soon now lol). I say run the servo till it give then upgrade it. I would also change out the body unless you like the honcho then I would buy a new honcho body and paint it to your liking. I hate silver bodies.
I have had the most enjoyment out of the wheels and tire upgrades and the brushless esc motor combo, I went with a goat 3s 21.5t combo and several sets of wheels and tires from 2.2's MT MTZs to 2.2 and 1.9 DC mud country's and a few in-between I'm on the 1.9's now and my second hardbody.
Joe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe$ View Post
IMO after links I would do tires and brushless high turn combo. I'm still running my stock servo and I beat the crap out of my truck( with that said I'm sure my will go soon now lol). I say run the servo till it give then upgrade it. I would also change out the body unless you like the honcho then I would buy a new honcho body and paint it to your liking. I hate silver bodies.
I have had the most enjoyment out of the wheels and tire upgrades and the brushless esc motor combo, I went with a goat 3s 21.5t combo and several sets of wheels and tires from 2.2's MT MTZs to 2.2 and 1.9 DC mud country's and a few in-between I'm on the 1.9's now and my second hardbody.
Thanks Joe! I'm probably gonna do the Tekin 35t with the stock ESC. I run that combo (but 45t) in my wraith. I've been checking out wheels and tires and will start scoping out bodies next.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Id do the links cc bec on the stock esc so you can run 3s everything else works pretty good I love the stock tires for rocks and my stock servo is working perfect being plasty diped after 9 months.
cowboy_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

They do OK straight out of the box. The plastic lower links will give way first so definitely get something decent ordered now but apart from that you can drive it as hard as you can and you've got 6 months before anything shows signs of getting tired.

But if you've got some money to burn I'd go shocks and tires/wheels then steering then diff/trans gears. The motor and electronics can stay until they're dead.

One other thing - buy the CastleLink programmer to fine tune the ESC - makes a big difference. Then a better radio if you don't already have one.

Last edited by Holdencars; 01-11-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Holdencars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yep, already have a DX3r Pro to hook up to it. I just ordered the Axial long wheelbase links, Proline scaler shocks, axial 8 hole beadlocks and some Proline SuperSwampers.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yep, already have a DX3r Pro to hook up to it. I just ordered the Axial long wheelbase links, Proline scaler shocks, axial 8 hole beadlocks and some Proline SuperSwampers.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I like this thread. Subscribed.

What I done to my RTR Rubicon so far- Homemade Stailess Steel Links / Steering Links, Own DSM2 3 channel radio, Winch, I Greeen Slimed my rtr shocks, WIEGHTED WHEELS 1.85 OZ FRONT AND 1 OZ REAR,

Next - just ordered a couple 3S Batteries- I will get BEC and see what happens

Question- What is the max voltage for the stock servo? I need to program BEC correct?

Last edited by 5VoltDetonator; 01-21-2013 at 11:16 AM.
5VoltDetonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Subbed.... I have a new Honcho as well. I'm liking these suggestions. My ultimate accessory is the 3racing winch!!!
BigGuyJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Swapping my wraith for a honcho this week
joshjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencars View Post
They do OK straight out of the box. The plastic lower links will give way first so definitely get something decent ordered now but apart from that you can drive it as hard as you can and you've got 6 months before anything shows signs of getting tired.

But if you've got some money to burn I'd go shocks and tires/wheels then steering then diff/trans gears. The motor and electronics can stay until they're dead.

One other thing - buy the CastleLink programmer to fine tune the ESC - makes a big difference. Then a better radio if you don't already have one.
What shocks do you suggest? I'm trying to get more flex outta my front end. Also I'm going to 2.2tires this week and thinking the tires may scrub a bit.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I ran the Proline power Stoke scaler shocks on my old Honcho and really liked them. One of the best mods in my opinion for the scx10 trucks is to angle the shocks. I use a Level3RC lift mounted sideways, but a homemade setup could be easily made. This is my current Honcho I'm just getting started on. It has the stock shocks now but will be getting the Proline. This is what I mean by angling the shocks. It gives a little bit of lift and improves flex and stability. Also with this setup and the longer shock ends on the Proline power strokes, it clears 2.2 tires nicely.

NOTErized!

Last edited by Tmaxxed; 01-22-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I also recommend a stronger servo. I run the hitch 7955tg and can wiggle out of some stucks by sawing the wheels back and forth. It will actually move the truck side to side. And definatly some aluminum links. Can be made easily for cheap. Check out this video. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=gVV8D...%3DgVV8DgZmQz8

NOTErized!

Last edited by Tmaxxed; 01-22-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Awesome video. Ill look into the shocks this Friday on payday. Any reason why you didn't just thread normal solid rods? Not trying to be an a$$ just curious is all.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

This is just the way I made them. I think it's the most common way to do it. This isn't my video, but it's what I followed when I made my last set. Solid rod would work fine I'm sure to.

NOTErized!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Default Brand New SCX10 Honcho RTR - Top upgrades??

I was wondering how to clear my 2.2tires till I saw that adapter a few posts up. Mocked some off a wraith rtr and they looked like they were gonna bind up hard core

Also tmaxxed I was jc about that method as far as extra weight. But on second thought that would be a very small amount of weight added anyway.

Last edited by joshjunior; 01-23-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

i would recommend replacing the plastic links with aluminum or stainless or delrin ones. the stock plastic ones will bend if you start beating on your truck.
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxed View Post
I ran the Proline power Stoke scaler shocks on my old Honcho and really liked them. One of the best mods in my opinion for the scx10 trucks is to angle the shocks. I use a Level3RC lift mounted sideways, but a homemade setup could be easily made. This is my current Honcho I'm just getting started on. It has the stock shocks now but will be getting the Proline. This is what I mean by angling the shocks. It gives a little bit of lift and improves flex and stability. Also with this setup and the longer shock ends on the Proline power strokes, it clears 2.2 tires nicely.

NOTErized!
Checked on the site is one order of those lift kit brackets a full set of 4?

Brand New SCX10 Honcho RTR - Top upgrades?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Must have upgrades for RTR Axial Honcho BIGMAX Newbie General 22 08-24-2012 07:36 PM
Honcho RTR and worthy upgrades... cmjomaha Axial SCX-10 2 09-12-2010 11:11 PM