Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #181

Default Re: Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Proje

Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well.

Subscribed
Treo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #182
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Proje

Okay loks like I need to get a Traxxas E Max Box, to the hunt I go! I also have the Hotwire for the Tenkin, I see you somehow connected this to the FXR so you wouldnt have to pull wires out of the box to update it? looks like you mounted the Hotwire in the back box?

Im just getting into tuning my castle stuff, this is the first Tenkin motor/ESC I have gone with. But I can tel you it is a PITA doing this in the field with all the wiring. How did you connect the BEC/ESC/Hotwire together so you can have an easy link for your hotwire? Is is as simple as y connector off the ESC to the hotwire?

love some explanation on that.

Im still jealous of tose VP products man I want, but no way can I drop the dime on that with 2 builds a 1:1 restore, and all the new construction on the house. The wife would have my nads
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #183
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treo View Post
Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well.

Subscribed
Thank You I'm glad you Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Okay loks like I need to get a Traxxas E Max Box, to the hunt I go! I also have the Hotwire for the Tenkin, I see you somehow connected this to the FXR so you wouldnt have to pull wires out of the box to update it? looks like you mounted the Hotwire in the back box?

Im just getting into tuning my castle stuff, this is the first Tenkin motor/ESC I have gone with. But I can tel you it is a PITA doing this in the field with all the wiring. How did you connect the BEC/ESC/Hotwire together so you can have an easy link for your hotwire? Is is as simple as y connector off the ESC to the hotwire?

love some explanation on that.

Im still jealous of tose VP products man I want, but no way can I drop the dime on that with 2 builds a 1:1 restore, and all the new construction on the house. The wife would have my nads
TRA3924 is the part number for the Traxxas E-Maxx Box. As for the Hotwire I don't leave it on my truck there's no reason to, as for the wires to hook up the hotwire I made it easy to disconnect from the receiver because I am using servo extensions to keep from opening boxes to have to link up Hotwire or Castle Link.

As for the VP parts let your wife have your nads so you can have nice parts lol. I am lucky enough that my women supports what I do 100%, it's seems like Time is what I don't have enough of for RC.
nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #184
Pebble Pounder

Got it now, sheesh I should have looked more at the picks. Basically you just took a servo extension plugged that into the esc and and the esc in to servo extension so discontect extension and wala plug into the Hotwire.

Need to read up on the hot wire I know with castle stuf and a BEC you have to have a battery connected to use it I am sure its the same on the hotwire.

Last edited by DaveFL; 05-01-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #185
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Got it now, sheesh I should have looked more at the picks. Basically you just took a servo extension plugged that into the esc and and the esc in to servo extension so discontect extension and wala plug into the Hotwire.

Need to read up on the hot wire I know with castle stuf and a BEC you have to have a battery connected to use it I am sure its the same on the hotwire.
Nope, not necessary to have a battery plugged in for the hotwire.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #186

NISSAN- HELP!!! I've tried your no slipper approach. I've used VP trans. housing, AX30197 dr. gear shaft 5x43.5mm, RRP 1541,1542, 84t spur, gear adapter AX-10-02/GR, AX80009-7 trans. spacer, & AX 30489 5x6.9x4.8 trans. spacer. I've got about 2mm of shaft thread showing. Not enough for my nut. In your pics you've got about 2mm worth of thread showing with the nut screwed on. I took off the AX30489 5x6.9x4.8 trans spacer & the spur goes too far onto the shaft & rubs on the motor screw. What did I miss? Help!!! I'm using the stock AX motor plate, could that be the problem?
dlm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #187
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm7 View Post
NISSAN- HELP!!! I've tried your no slipper approach. I've used VP trans. housing, AX30197 dr. gear shaft 5x43.5mm, RRP 1541,1542, 84t spur, gear adapter AX-10-02/GR, AX80009-7 trans. spacer, & AX 30489 5x6.9x4.8 trans. spacer. I've got about 2mm of shaft thread showing. Not enough for my nut. In your pics you've got about 2mm worth of thread showing with the nut screwed on. I took off the AX30489 5x6.9x4.8 trans spacer & the spur goes too far onto the shaft & rubs on the motor screw. What did I miss? Help!!! I'm using the stock AX motor plate, could that be the problem?
Pictures would really really help, looking back at my old post I don't see anywhere I posted using a (AX 30489 5x6.9x4.8 trans. spacer). Also since the spur gear is hitting your motor screw what size pinion gear are you running? If it is really small that is probably the reason why the motor screw is hitting the spur gear, if that's the case you'll have to go larger on your spur gear or larger on your pinion gear.

Using a stock AX motor plate should be the cause to your problem.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #188

Hey nissan- thanks for your help. I'm waiting on the VP gear guard/motor plate. They're backordered everywhere. You never posted that you used the 30489 spacer but I couldn't see in between the spur & tranny. I was trying to build by the book, LOL!!! Hopefully the gear guard will fix my snaffu. It doesn't look any thicker than the stock plate though. I'm using an 84t spur (am waiting on 86t, wanting a hair smaller than stock 87t to clear the MIP dr. shafts & I haven't figured out how to post pics yet. Your build is still the best documented I've ever seen. Can't wait to see a video. Wasn't going to buy the Rubicon but now, hhmmmm!!! thanks again for your help! let ya know how it works or will have more questions. LOL! Have a great evening.
dlm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #189
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm7 View Post
Hey nissan- thanks for your help. I'm waiting on the VP gear guard/motor plate. They're backordered everywhere. You never posted that you used the 30489 spacer but I couldn't see in between the spur & tranny. I was trying to build by the book, LOL!!! Hopefully the gear guard will fix my snaffu. It doesn't look any thicker than the stock plate though. I'm using an 84t spur (am waiting on 86t, wanting a hair smaller than stock 87t to clear the MIP dr. shafts & I haven't figured out how to post pics yet. Your build is still the best documented I've ever seen. Can't wait to see a video. Wasn't going to buy the Rubicon but now, hhmmmm!!! thanks again for your help! let ya know how it works or will have more questions. LOL! Have a great evening.
No problem at all with the help, feel free to post any questions on the build, I'm trying my best to document as much as I can with this build. Yes they gear guard has been on backordered for a while now, Vanquish said they would have it in stock soon. The gear guard thickness is a bit thicker but not by a whole bunch. 87t spur gear should clear MIP's drive shaft with no problems at all so if you have it already you should use that since 87 and 86 is very minute gear ratio change. Good luck on your crawler.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #190
Pebble Pounder

Nissan,

Im working with my setup now, although I am not dropping the dime on the Currie stuff from VP at this time maybe in the future. I do need to update the drive shats, need to take a look at the MIP's what part number did you use? and are they compatable with the Axial axles?

I also just came across a steal from a buddy RC4WD R3 transmission and Hammer Tcase. Bought it from a freind and I may use it in this build instead of the Axial tranny, I guess we will see how things work out.

I am following your build with some mods so once I start building I may just start my thread simalar to yours without the Sweet axials and links

I'f I use the r3 and Hammer, I might have to look at different shafts alltogether, but I will look at it from build start.

Love you build hopefully, Mine will show up shortly

Dave
Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #191
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Nissan,

Im working with my setup now, although I am not dropping the dime on the Currie stuff from VP at this time maybe in the future. I do need to update the drive shats, need to take a look at the MIP's what part number did you use? and are they compatable with the Axial axles?

I also just came across a steal from a buddy RC4WD R3 transmission and Hammer Tcase. Bought it from a freind and I may use it in this build instead of the Axial tranny, I guess we will see how things work out.

I am following your build with some mods so once I start building I may just start my thread simalar to yours without the Sweet axials and links

I'f I use the r3 and Hammer, I might have to look at different shafts alltogether, but I will look at it from build start.

Love you build hopefully, Mine will show up shortly

Dave
Dave,

If you're asking for the drive line MIP would work fine I have used them forever I don't have a part number on hand but I'm sure MIP website would have it (look up ax10/scx-10) drive line. If you're asking about the shaft inside the axle like the CVD, I am using VP CVD for the SCX-10, they have them on the Vanquishproducts.com website. Hopefully this is the answer to your question.

MIke
Old 05-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #192
Rock Crawler

Guys I know it has been a long while since my last update on this rig. I have not been able to work on this any further even though I'm so close to being done. Last week I stop by my friendly local Vanquish Products friends and looks what kind of goodies I got!!! I know this is a little late but better than never.

VP Bronze Bushings!!! For the high horse power application use these BRONZE Bushings to get rid of the slop on the axle pinion gear.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #193
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=nissan_driver24;4321432]Guys I know it has been a long while since my last update on this rig. I have not been able to work on this any further even though I'm so close to being done. Last week I stop by my friendly local Vanquish Products friends and looks what kind of goodies I got!!! I know this is a little late but better than never.

VP Bronze Bushings!!! For the high horse power application use these BRONZE Bushings to get rid of the slop on the axle pinion gear.

I need some of those bushings. I had a bearing go out in the front axle last Sunday. It had a whopping 3 hours on it. Any idea how long before the bushings are released?
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #194
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=DRTMI;4321654]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_driver24 View Post
I need some of those bushings. I had a bearing go out in the front axle last Sunday. It had a whopping 3 hours on it. Any idea how long before the bushings are released?
As of right now the bushings are in testing phase, hopefully soon they should be out. Sorry I don't have a time frame.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #195
Rock Crawler

I got a couple of boxes for the Jeep this weekend. I ordered stuff to finsh my lights which I still have to work on but in the mean time I got to work on the other box from Crawler Innovation which were dual stage tire foams and jeepindoug solid shock cups. So to start this off here are some pics of foams of before and after.

Before front tire with stock foams.

Various foams I got to try out and use for other tires. I ended up using the 4.5 firm for the Front tires and 4.5 medium for the Rear tires.

Size differences from stock to the new Crawler Innovation foams

After Pics with new tires Foams... With no flat tires at all!!!

ALSO picked up from my friends at Vanquish another pair of 1/4 titanium links for the lower front links to match the rear so match. The uppers and steering I left 3/16.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #196
Rock Crawler

UPDATE!!!

So I finally decided to stop being lazy and finsh the last major parts of this rig. First was to setup the telemetry for speed and motor temp, wire up the winch/add winch line, and lastly I have almost been dreading the lights wiring the whole entire time. I wanted top off all of the light by added some chassis lights which include rock lights and bumper lights. Anyways here's the finshed product after spending over 15hours the last couple of days having sore finger tips stripping wires, shrink tubing, and solder everything in.

On to the pictures!!!

Telemetry Installed RPM sensor was installed with a braket I made out of lexan to read spur gear rotation via white dot on the spur gear holder, calibration was made through the controller. Temp sensor was mounted on the motor and just installed with the all high tech zip tie. Truck tops out at 13mph!!! Pretty quick for a scaler.

Next! Winch was worked on, harness was installed onto winch and connectors were installed so it could be paired with the Tekin B1R. I spooled up almsot 20ft of the best line I have ever use.

Battery tray was installed. I cut the original Axial metal battery tray a couple inches shorter, drilled and coutersink a couple of holes to mount it all on top of the Axial RX box after the steering servo, velcro was added for better hold on the battery. My power comes from a Thunder Power G6 3s 11.1v 2250mah 65C battery, which fits perfectly in the area it is given.

Rear end lights there are a total of 14 LED lights in the rear of this truck, I love how the rear rock lights came out really showing off the VP Currie axle.

Chassis wiring is finally done. I could almost swear I have hundreds of feet of wiring and shrink tubing in the rig. I tried my best to keep it all clean, functional, and intuitive. For how much I had to hide it think it came out good (please be nice with the comments .

Jeep JK body finshed up with the lights harness, 2 light bars and 14 LEDS total.

Wondering how I tie the body to the chassis for lights??? with one 4 pin micro dean and one 2 pin micro dean connectors. Why so many????? You may ask, because the body needs 3 different inputs of power/voltage. It is all quick disconnect and I tired to keep this part clean as possible which for me was very difficult to figure out.

Final pics of this post!!! Since I used a Tekin B1R speed controller as my light controller I was able to turn off and on certain lights at certain points.

Between the 2 VP lights bars and my custom headlights and lights the output of Lumens is just crazy. By far brightest lights ever put on an RC Car Here's a comparison against my Axial VP Honcho pointing down a dark hallway. Notice the Jeep is better at lights going the distance where's the Honcho is better at a closer range.

Jeep JK
Honcho

After well over 6 months on this build I am going to get to play with it, stay tuned for action pics and videos. I can't say I'm done with the rig because nothing is ever done but I am pleased with where it has come. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE comment and tell me what you guys think!!! Thank You
Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #197

Looks Awesome!!
ispyc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #198
Pebble Pounder

Great job!
buddamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #199
I wanna be Dave

All that wiring done that cleanly is impressive to say the least, my hats off to you, hell of a job
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #200
RCC Addict

All I can say is outstanding job and description of every little detail. Thumbs up my man!

Now you can do the same for mine, haha.
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/423278-phams-vp-axial-scx-10-jk-jeep-wrangler-unlmited-rubicon-unlimited-budget-project.html
Posted By For Type Date
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-28-2013 06:13 PM
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-28-2013 01:22 AM

Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rubi_con_Arni - Axial Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon perseus71 Axial SCX-10 79 08-11-2015 11:44 PM
Axial SCX10 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon jason Scale Videos! 16 11-03-2013 09:27 AM
Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - AX90028 BENDER Axial SCX-10 379 07-02-2013 10:57 PM
Axial Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited #2 Rivas Concepts Scale Videos! 0 12-17-2012 10:48 AM
New Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Axial Promo Vid B94Cast Scale Videos! 0 10-30-2012 12:20 PM