Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Proje

Can't wait for my Dinky goodies too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
On a build like this i dont see the point of starting with a base vehicle at all! Just order the body set and tires and work from there since everything else will be replaced. If its really an unlimited $$$ build id like to see a full steel tube chassis and a nice full custom styrene interior, thats where the $$$ really adds up if you farm it out
You're right. Just start with an SCX chassis kit & go from there. I've already put all the stock parts back on mine & will start a new build from just parts.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Proje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Could be , I'm running Tekin FXR, 45T lathe motor, 3s lipo....no BL or shortcourse power for me....at least not yet. And my Honcho is pretty light.

Mike, get that new stuff installed yet?
I plan on starting today but I'm getting 2 scx-10, 1 wraith, and an Exo Terra Buggy ready for the RECON race tomorrow so getting all of those rigs has been a little chore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
Man I wish you had a running price list. I'd like to know how much you've got in to it, total price with tax and shipping. I'm wanting to build a scaler with all those vp goodies too.
I could definitely put up a price list as soon as I post it up, stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispyc6 View Post
Looks like the exact build I'm doing right now.

Sent from my Nokia L920 using Board Express
Ed when you're done with yours and I'm done with mine we could do a photoshoot with them, since you pretty much live down the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
On a build like this i dont see the point of starting with a base vehicle at all! Just order the body set and tires and work from there since everything else will be replaced. If its really an unlimited $$$ build id like to see a full steel tube chassis and a nice full custom styrene interior, thats where the $$$ really adds up if you farm it out
Dittohead, I can agree with you I could have started just on a basic scx-10 chassis and ordered everything but it's all Instant Gratification for me. The body, bumpers, tires, are all on back ordered so getting them a couple of weeks ago or even now is impossible at least through GPDealer which my work orders from. As for the unlimited $$$ build part I will kindly disagree a tube chassis, interior ect ect could cost a lot of money if you have someone else build it for you but in terms of doing it your self its all labor/time. Time which I don't have enough of. Also I am not good with scale stuff, painting, cutting, fabing scale items is not my strength. As much much I wish that could be part of the build I am going in a different direction with it. I hope you stay tuned to see what the direction will be where money could be spent just not only in scale looks on a SCX-10.
nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
RCC Addict

I guess im just hoping this will be more than a "buy all the VP parts that fit and it will be awesome!" build. There are several of those types of builds on here already. Either way you go its your rig and ill pop back in once in awhile to see what you come up with!
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

New Update!!!

I opt for to use all grey parts from VP if it's available. I have noticed a lot of people using the silver/raw Currie axles and figured the grey would look better and it's different from my Honcho.

So here is me starting on the rear axles first

C-Clips are used to keep bearing in the rear axle tubes.

VP Lockers

Axial Hardened Overdrive Gears are used in the front and rear.

Stainless screw set used, yes they are soft and can strip easily but they don't rust which is why I like them.

Locker installed to the Gear.

Over drive Pinion gear installed with no problem.

1.3oz for the upgrade Diff

VP grease is used for this build. Everything fit perfectly.

Stainless set screws were used to seal the tubes.

Look at the welds detail on the shock/link mount, it's pretty amazing.

A picture to show the color of the wheels/axle in grey. I love the color it looks like gun metal in color.

VP VVD

From top to bottom : Stock dog bone and cup / VP VVD / Super 300 CVD

VP 8degree chub and knuckles in Grey

VP Front Currie Axles

VP Currie Axles SCX10 TI link kit

Last picture of a stock Axial SXC-10 Chassis before tear down.

Front and Rear Axles weigh in.

Links TI vs Plastic weigh in.

Currently looks like this after axle and link install.

Hope you guys enjoy this update... More to come soon
Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Sweet rig man. I like the grey a lot better as well!
AKbash57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKbash57 View Post
Sweet rig man. I like the grey a lot better as well!
Thanks I'm glad you like it
Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Don't bash on me please but will the factory axial axle parts transfer to the vp currie axles? Or do you have to run all vp stuff?
matt_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_22 View Post
Don't bash on me please but will the factory axial axle parts transfer to the vp currie axles? Or do you have to run all vp stuff?
Stock parts will fit fine.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:56 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
Stock parts will fit fine.
I was wondering about this as well. Thinking about getting the currie axles but weren't sure if I could get the axles first or the whole front end and back end. Thanks alot
AKbash57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKbash57 View Post
I was wondering about this as well. Thinking about getting the currie axles but weren't sure if I could get the axles first or the whole front end and back end. Thanks alot
Good choice, the rear is pretty much set since you won't need anything else to finish it off except the stock axial guts. As for the front they are a little bit more pricey due to buying the chub and steering knuckles separate. Don't forget the Titanium Links
Old 01-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

things sweeet
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

It has been a while since I got to work on my Jeep with the Twin Hammers coming into the picture.

BUT I have got back to work so here it is:

Started off with finshing the transmission with VP housing, VP Gear Guard, Kimbrough 84t Spur Gear, Robinsion Racing 18t steel pinion gear, RR One Piece center gear, RR Steel Idler Gear, and it's coupled with a Tekin ROC 412 3100kv crawler motor. No plastic was used in the making of it

I hate the stock Axial hex because they screw into the shaft which could cause damage to the shaft and I noticed that there is some play after everything is installed. I decided to go with the Hot Racing Aluminum Clamping hex they fit very nice and there isn't any slop because they clamp onto the pin when tightened down & they don't damage the shaft. They are about 1mm thicker but that doesn't effect anything much.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Since I want to make this rig totally waterproof I will be putting all electronics in watersealed boxes from Traxxas. So to start this process I found at work an E-Maxx RX box that I figured would house my Tekin RS perfectly with out taking it out of the case. I moved the rear crossmember that holds the shock hoops forward so the axle during full compression won't hit the crossmember also the way I mounted the box it would be closer to the motor. This task looks simple and easy but it took several hours to do because I'm a neat freak on wiring.

The two screws that are already in the crossmember almost lines up with the traxxas pre-drilled holes on the box so that was really nice.

At this point I have spent over 2 hours just to get here (looks simple but there was a lot of thinking on how to execute it. The capacitor is installed remotely, every wire is solder at an angle to exit the box correctly and clear the button. All in all I'm happy how it came out.

Everything all sealed up

Wired up with the motor using short 3.5mm bullet connectors, and Deans connectors for power.

What do you guys think about this???
Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Nice job on the wiring. I try to do that in the beginning but never get it work out.
kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #35
RCC Addict

nice work on the wiring takes a lot more time and planning, but it is absolutely worth it in the end
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Nice job Mike! You going to run it before G6?
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
Nice job Mike! You going to run it before G6?
Thanks! I am not sure when I'll be running this rig yet due to the fact I'm only about half way done. Hopefully It gets done soon.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Nice job on the rear of the motor harness . I like the idea of the soldered in billet connectors . Might have to try that? Could you please post a video of the rig running flat out to see how fast it is and how mush torque it's got? Im very seriously thinking about buying this motor and want to see the speed and torque compared to my old set up. Thanks , nice build .
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by im gunna crawl View Post
Nice job on the rear of the motor harness . I like the idea of the soldered in billet connectors . Might have to try that? Could you please post a video of the rig running flat out to see how fast it is and how mush torque it's got? Im very seriously thinking about buying this motor and want to see the speed and torque compared to my old set up. Thanks , nice build .
Thanks, I always use 3.5mm bullet connectors because they are small, short, barely thicker than 12 guage wire, and it's really nice to break down a rig for cleaning and be able to do it quickly with those connectors.

I havn't gotten the rig running yet because I have 2 more speed controllers to install and a bunch of other electronics done before this will be running. I will post a video as soon as it's running.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #40
RCC Addict

muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/423278-phams-vp-axial-scx-10-jk-jeep-wrangler-unlmited-rubicon-unlimited-budget-project.html
Posted By For Type Date
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-28-2013 06:13 PM
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-28-2013 01:22 AM

Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rubi_con_Arni - Axial Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon perseus71 Axial SCX-10 79 08-11-2015 11:44 PM
Axial SCX10 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon jason Scale Videos! 16 11-03-2013 09:27 AM
Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - AX90028 BENDER Axial SCX-10 379 07-02-2013 10:57 PM
Axial Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited #2 Rivas Concepts Scale Videos! 0 12-17-2012 10:48 AM
New Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Axial Promo Vid B94Cast Scale Videos! 0 10-30-2012 12:20 PM