Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Project

Alright so this will be my first true build thread on any vehicle I have own rc wise, Please excuse the not so great pictures, shots and whatever I can't do well, I am building this rig around a family with two kids (1 year old son and 6 year old daughter) so the background will bounce from my rc shed workshop to my living room, kitchen ect due to where and what I'm doing during the time I'm working on the rig. I am not good at this so please bare with me if it doesn't go as planned hopefully this will be a learning experience on what I should post for a build thread.

Anyways a week before Christmas I picked up the at the time new Axial SCX-10 Jeep Wrangler ect ect. I only opened it to check out the sweet new body, tires, and bumpers. Fast forward to yesterday I picked up a bunch of stuff to start this build. I will post a list of items used in this build as I move along with this project but the plan is to go all out with this rig, I have built a unlmited funded Axial Honcho that I want to do again with a different body. I plan to have everything vanquish on this rig with currie axles, ti links, omf wheels, tekin system, airtonics, quick sand winch, ect ect I'm making this money is not an issue build. Only thing I will keep stock will be frame rails, skid plate, rock sliders/mount, radio box(maybe), body, and maybe a few plastic braces but that will be it.

Here are some pictures to start off everything.
This is the unboxing

Now he is the beginning to the never ending I wanted to get so baseline weight amounts for the all original parts and rig.
2lbs 14.1oz for the chassis minus wheels/tires and body.

4lbs 11.6oz for everything on the rig out of the box

Now for some of the goodies!!!!!! This is the first group of parts I bought for the rig, there were a few thing that were on not in stock at the time so I will either pull the part from another rig or wait until it comes back in stock. Rigid Light bar will be part of the things to come. I will list a post a list all of the parts soon

I wanted to start by replacing the wheels, I am not a fan of the stock glued on wheel they are light weight but they are plastic and that's no good.
I first had to remove all 5 tires from the original wheels, I did that by using a heat gun. Heating the wheels to break the glue loose and then peeling them off of the wheels, this really sucked and I really did not enjoy doing this but after a couple of hours I got them all removed.

Here are so of the weight measurements of the tires with foam, tires, ect.

For the first goodies pic!!!
These are the Vanquish Product 1.9 OMF wheels with Gun Metal color rear ring, Black front ring, and Grey Scallop Bead Lock ring. I also used 600 slw hubs for the 4 wheels on the rig and a 350 slw hub for the spare tire which I had left over from my honcho. The 350 slw hub allows the wheel to mount up to the tire rack with no issues using the stock parts (wing nut)

First you start off 12 screw that do not do anything but look good.

2.8oz for a complete wheel this is 2.2oz more than a stock plastic wheel

On accident I found out that there are two ways different ways to mount a Scallop Bead Lock Ring on the Front Ring. One shows the 12 screw on the front ring when facing the wheel head on and the other doesn't, I oped for the one that doesn't show the screw because the girlfriend liked it more which I also agreed.

After a few of hours of screwing lol I now have 5 complete VP OMF 1.9 wheels

5.6oz for a complete VP wheel with the original tire, this makes it 2.1oz heavier than the original (10.5 oz heavier total)

Here are the pics with the new wheels noticed the back kinda sags lower than it used to due to the now heavier rear spare tire. The shocks have no pre-load set out of the box so that's how I left it. Let me know what you guys think of these wheels!!! These wheels are in my eyes the best 1.9 wheels on the market hands down. They have 46 screw per a wheel but only 4 are needed to be removed to take off the wheels.

Let me know what you guys think, I will post the next update which will probably be the VP scale front and rear Currie Axles with everything VP.

Last edited by nissan_driver24; 01-16-2013 at 05:05 PM.
nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Proje

Unlimited budget=code for free.

Pham-tastic build.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Proje

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
Unlimited budget=code for free.

Pham-tastic build.
hahaha Unlimited Budget code word for me not spending a dollar on my real cars. lol Nothing is free although it would be nice to have that option.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Wow nice pile of loot! Looking good
CRAIGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Dude is that all you got! I was expecting more from Mr. Pham. Lol just kidding bro. If like anything else you have it will be phamtastic

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

nice start mike
VP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Very nice, but I'd prefer to see you build it with Axial plastic housings that most people run. Then do the VP Curries if you must, I'm not a fan of the aluminum axle housings and have enough bills as it is lol. Just need to find somebody to make my house payments for me. Not trying to be negative about your build, it's looking sweet, just making suggestions.

Last edited by Natedog; 01-16-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Awesome start and can't wait for the next round of pictures.
shwng1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Cut that windsheild sticker out before more photos! looks great! if this is going to be truly unlimited bidget i'm subscribed!

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...ml#post4125292
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

looks good mike! you have to look up budget , i think you mean money project?Nice tires bring that thing this weekend want to check it out
zonkerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
Dude is that all you got! I was expecting more from Mr. Pham. Lol just kidding bro. If like anything else you have it will be phamtastic

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Haha that's what the guys at VP said when they saw it stock lol, just wait I'll add my 2 cents or more money lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan w View Post
nice start mike
Thanks Mr. Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Very nice, but I'd prefer to see you build it with Axial plastic housings that most people run. Then do the VP Curries if you must, I'm not a fan of the aluminum axle housings and have enough bills as it is lol. Just need to find somebody to make my house payments for me. Not trying to be negative about your build, it's looking sweet, just making suggestions.
Nate I understand what you mean about Aluminum axle housings, but it's the only thing I really use I believe the advantages out weigh the disadvantages. I still have a couple rigs that have the original axles but I found I had to use stuff like beef toobs to make the stronger. Check out these new VP Currie axles they are really amazing and work really well for the rigs I have seen them in, between the minimal design, awesome scale looks, and the delrin skid to act just like a plastic axles it is worth the cost it if you save some dough and you know they will never break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwng1973 View Post
Awesome start and can't wait for the next round of pictures.
I hope you will enjoy the pictures in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
Cut that windsheild sticker out before more photos! looks great! if this is going to be truly unlimited bidget i'm subscribed!

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...ml#post4125292
I have been checking out his build thread the last few days and I was considering doing that probably before the light bar is installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkerd View Post
looks good mike! you have to look up budget , i think you mean money project?Nice tires bring that thing this weekend want to check it out
Thanks Big E , I agree "money project" it is. I will bring it hopefully I'll have axles installed by then.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I like VP stuff, but I've never broken an Axial housing yet...somehow, wish their SCX axle housings were like the AR60 Wraith housings they make, much better looking imo. Either way subscribed to your build.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
09 RCA champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I like VP stuff, but I've never broken an Axial housing yet...

Obviously you don't have enough HP
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_driver24 View Post
hahaha Unlimited Budget code word for me not spending a dollar on my real cars. lol Nothing is free although it would be nice to have that option.
Just bustin' your balls bro.

I know it's gonna turn out sweet.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

This came into the Mail today from Dinky RC. Hopefully it will be installed soon.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
Obviously you don't have enough HP
Could be , I'm running Tekin FXR, 45T lathe motor, 3s lipo....no BL or shortcourse power for me....at least not yet. And my Honcho is pretty light.

Mike, get that new stuff installed yet?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Man I wish you had a running price list. I'd like to know how much you've got in to it, total price with tax and shipping. I'm wanting to build a scaler with all those vp goodies too.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #18

Looks like the exact build I'm doing right now.

Sent from my Nokia L920 using Board Express
ispyc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I think with the limited jk specific parts that are available right now, most of these builds are similar.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
fourxfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
RCC Addict

On a build like this i dont see the point of starting with a base vehicle at all! Just order the body set and tires and work from there since everything else will be replaced. If its really an unlimited $$$ build id like to see a full steel tube chassis and a nice full custom styrene interior, thats where the $$$ really adds up if you farm it out
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/423278-phams-vp-axial-scx-10-jk-jeep-wrangler-unlmited-rubicon-unlimited-budget-project.html
Posted By For Type Date
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-28-2013 06:13 PM
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-28-2013 01:22 AM

Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rubi_con_Arni - Axial Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon perseus71 Axial SCX-10 79 08-11-2015 11:44 PM
Axial SCX10 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon jason Scale Videos! 16 11-03-2013 09:27 AM
Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - AX90028 BENDER Axial SCX-10 379 07-02-2013 10:57 PM
Axial Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited #2 Rivas Concepts Scale Videos! 0 12-17-2012 10:48 AM
New Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Axial Promo Vid B94Cast Scale Videos! 0 10-30-2012 12:20 PM