Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dodge80_89 SCX10 ongoing build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #1

Default Dodge80_89 SCX10 ongoing build

Hello all, new to the forums. My wife bought me my first RC for Christmas, the SCX10 Honcho. She got it with the rule that I couldn't start modding it till my 1:1 was completed, but that didn't really work out for her.

Here it is the day I unboxed it...

Testing it out on some son's blocks...

After playing with it inside for a few days went out with a couple of friends and played on some real terrain...

I believe they are both members here (not sure on their usernames).

After about a week decided to replace the plastic links using some aluminum tubing over threaded rod with Traxxas Revo rod ends. Made all new rear, and front lower links. Also new tie rod and trailing arm.

When I made the links, I adjusted the pinion angle on front and rear to help with the driveline angle. By doing that I was able to make the front servo miss the crossmember and can now flex to the bumpstops in front.

Just wanted to introduce myself and have a place for my ongoing build. I still have to work on my 1:1 truck so the upgrades will probably be slow till it's done.

Current list of future upgrades on the wishlist:
Battery/reciever plate
CMS
4 or 3 link front
Mirror Transmission
Building new bumpers and sliders
**Waterproofing, I live in OR so that will be happening very soon. Just finished puttig marine grease in the axles and transmission.
dodge80_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I cannot leave well enough alone either, no matter what the deal.

Good looking truck. I am hoping to get mine Monday.
Soundlzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Dodge80_89 SCX10 ongoing build

Looks like a great spot. My wife knows better than to think regardless of what it is, it can and will be modded. I love the honcho body, that's the next one I'm going to get.
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #4

Got a set of 1.9 Trepadors in the mail on Saturday, mounted them on Axial 8-hole chrome beadlocks, with Sublime Green painted rings. Have pictures on my phone, need to upload them to photobucket and then I'll get some of them posted. The new tires are about 1/8" to 1/4" bigger then the Ripsaws, so they now hit the body, not sure how I'll fix that yet.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #5

Pictures of the new wheels and tires...

Also did a couple of other mods on the cheap. Cut up a reusable lunch meat container and made some inner fenders for the front, and then "rhino lined" them with the Rustoleum truck bed coating.

Reading the Tips and Tricks sticky decided to move the front bumper to give a little better approach angle. In the stock location it got hung up a lot like everyone else. It's not perfect, but will work for now.

You can see the inner fenders on this shot

Don't want to spend a lot of time on new bumpers and inner fenders at the moment, once it warms up I'll be working on getting this body painted and fitted.

Got it from a member here, excited to get it installed. Going to make it look just like my 1:1, was as close as I can.

Just for reference, here is the 1:1 that I'm currently working on getting finished, it used to be 2wd.

It won't be staying red and white, I let my wife choose what color she wanted it painted and chose Mopar Sublime Green and flat black. Might add the hockey stick stripe on it also and spell out Hemi in it. Outside the picture is the '04 5.7L Hemi that needs a rebuild and install.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

What year is your ram charger. Is it rusted? I like the red and white two tone. It's bad azz.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by im gunna crawl View Post
What year is your ram charger. Is it rusted? I like the red and white two tone. It's bad azz.
It's an '89, and yes it was/is rusty. It came with me to Oregon from Michigan in 2001 so it spent half it's life in the salt belt. The rockers were completely gone so they got replaced with 3"x4" steel tubing attached to the frame for sliders. Also extended the rear wheel wells so that took care of most of the rear rust.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

nice work. cant wait to see it with the ramcharger body. also your 1:1 looks like its going to be sick! i love pit bulls. I'm going to buy a set for my honcho when I can spare it lol
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 AM   #9

Went out and played with a couple of buddies yesterday. The Trepadors did great, just as good as the Ripsaws if not better. Friend let me borrow a wider wheel to see what the tires looked like on them and they look even better. The tread flattened out and looked great, the wheels were just over 1" wide. Going to make a set until I can save up for a new set. Also need to re-do my inner fenders. It was a little rainy and muddy out and a lot of mud got on the inside from under the fenders. Need to make the rear part go down a little lower or get some styrene and make a custom set.

Also just ordered a Jevne CMS Brick battery plate today from RPP, when it gets here going to work on getting it installed and the electronics moved and waterproofed. Last week I was getting a little too close to puddles for comfort.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

where did you get your trepadors? I'm starting to consider them because I may be buying a set for my 1:1 after my taxes
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATALLYILL View Post
where did you get your trepadors? I'm starting to consider them because I may be buying a set for my 1:1 after my taxes
I got the tires from RPP Hobby, bought them early in the morning and they shipped out that day.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcat33 View Post
Really cool inner fenders! What kind of resealable meat containers are those? ha. Very cool to see what builders on here come up with for easy cheap fixes or modifications for their trucks.
The brand is "Healthy Ones" deli style lunch meat. Think I've seen a few other brands with that style but not 100% sure. My wife has taken over most of the shopping recently.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge80_89 View Post
The brand is "Healthy Ones" deli style lunch meat. Think I've seen a few other brands with that style but not 100% sure. My wife has taken over most of the shopping recently.
I looked today. We get hillshire farms containers. They are the same and I think I may be using your idea on my honcho. Thanks
pcat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Keep up the good work. My wife also got me a crawler for xmas and I think she regrets it , started a new hobby for me. The mods will never end either but that's the fun. Love the dodge body something different for a change.
gkosterscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #15

Completed some more upgrades on the truck. Installed the Jevne CMS brick battery plate, that completely changed the handing of the truck. Seems to have helped the balance a little bit, although afterwards with no weight in the rear tires the rear was really light. Added about 2-3oz to the rear wheels to help that situation.

Also ordered and installed the Axial Chubs and High clearance knuckles since after doing the CMS mod the steering angles were way off. Used the spare 4 link truss from the kit and set up a 4 link for the front, even with the CMS there is not a lot of body roll, but there is some. Plans are to go to 3 link and pan hard in the near future.

Going to start looking for a new steering servo. The stock one is no longer cutting it with the added weight. When in dirt/mud the wheels turn with no problem, once on rocks and it struggles to turn them. Truck now weighs in at ~6lbs 3oz, have a few more tweaks to make to the CMS, do the 3 link and steering servo and it might be all for this truck. Also a friend offered to help make a set of custom wheels with his lathe and mill. I have the aluminum sitting on the counter at home just have to order the rings and hubs and I should have a custom set of 1 off wheels.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I'd like to see some pics of tge battery plate trying to refig my battery placemment on truck love the rims and tire package
crawlingfolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlingfolife View Post
I'd like to see some pics of tge battery plate trying to refig my battery placemment on truck love the rims and tire package
Here's my latest battery plate, lipo has velcro and I wrap one of the Axial velcro battery straps around the plate, battery and wires to keep it all low and secure!

Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #18

Sorry it took so long, here's some pictures of the Jevne CMS brick battery plate installed on the truck. Still have some more waterproofing to do, only thing in a balloon right now is the ESC. Haven't done the electronics box since I'm in the market for a new servo and don't want to have to get back into the box to install it.

I like the plate for the most part, biggest issue I have with it is that my tires rub it when fully articulated. I have a 5200 mAh battery and it barely fits in it, it also helps climbing a little more. Although after the battery move and adding weight to the front wheels, I had to add some weight in the rear tires because it was way to forward heavy and would flip too easy.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #19

With the addition of the new battery plate, there was no choice to but do the CMS mod. I used the stock servo plate and bolted it through the frame. If I remember right I had to drill 1 hole a little bigger. I don't like how low it sits in the frame now, so I'm going to cut out a piece of 1/8" steel with my plasma and add some extra holes so I can adjust it up little by little to find where it works best.

In this one and you can kinda see the Axial aluminum chubs and high clearance knuckles, these were a must after the CMS due to severe bump steer.

Haven't installed these yet, been to busy on my 1:1, but just pulled the axles tonight so I can tear them down and install. Ordered these when a friend put his order in, Beef Toobz for front and rear.

Also, going to be ordering parts to finish these off in the next few weeks. I have a friend that has a lathe and mill in his garage and builds small gas RC engines. He offered to help make a set of custom one off wheels for my truck. I also wanted some that are a little wider then most so I ordered some aluminum slugs. When finished they should be about 1" wide, still working on a design for them. Got 6 slugs in case one gets screwed up while machining. The other extra will be for a spare to mount on the truck.

Going to order the parts for the wheels from Locked Up RC most likely. I like their Trail Ready rings, and want to use the VP hubs for ease of building the hex. Also going to get the scale hardware for them. Hope to have them done in the next couple of months.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

cool stuff about the wheels... If you and your friend happen to make a set of ATX Slabs in an inch wide I would be all over it like a fat kid on cake. PM me if you ever want to do a custom set of centers for me.
french_connection is offline   Reply With Quote

Dodge80_89 SCX10 ongoing build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CFLCC Meet Thread - *ONGOING* Fink Florida 2257 10-10-2018 10:08 AM
**Canadian Crawler** RS10-XT Unveiling and ongoing build. The Jackalope Redcat Crawlers 90 11-11-2015 01:56 AM
Redcat Racing RS10 [Ongoing] Review Robb Redcat Crawlers 47 06-08-2013 07:12 AM
Please help - Ongoing problems with ESC JONG208 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 01-09-2009 08:01 PM
Ongoing Project V06 62PYRO Tamiya Clod Buster 40 06-15-2006 06:06 PM