Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!"

Hello to anyone and everyone that sees this post. Being a fan of RC for a long time, and a lurker on this site for over 2 years (i guess), I've decided, with much inspiration from the fantastic scalers you guys have built, to build my very own. I've owned a stock scx-10 in the past, but I've never built one, nor have I ever fabricated anything. So with that said, this is my "layman's attempt" at doing what you guys do so well, which is make one helluva cool scaler. I've reached out to Klabeaume for advice and tips because it was his old 1.9 TJ ( see below ) that ultimately drove me into spending the time and money to finally do this. [clap hands]. I do hope that anyone new to the hobby will join my escapades here for humored discussion and any "noob" tricks I can pass along. I also hope that some of you seasoned vets will subscribe and pass along advice, as I will be asking ALOT of questions during this build. In the end, I'm sure it will run, but I can't say it will be pretty. But alas my internet-RC brethren, it will be fun, even if only by you vets watching me make a fool of myself and spending $ the wife says we don't have to spend. So, let's get started. Here is a pic of Klabeaume's old TJ.. the source of my inspiration:
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!"

So, with formal introductions out of the way, let's put the "plan" in place.

1) The chassis shall be an SCX-10 due tot he fact that I'm a noob and it seems to be the easiest way to get 75% of what I need to begin. I will skip on the RTR though, as I will definitely want to upgrade the motor, Tx, wheels, tires, body, etc. Seems like a waste to buy a $379 RTR only to not use alot of it. Of course, there is always eBay, but I don't have time to fiddle with selling alot of bits and pieces and from the looks of it, eBay is already flooded with SCX-10 bits and pieces.

2) The body must be a NB TJ body or similar. Why? Cause they look BADASS.

3) This thing must have a custom rollcage and bumpers. Preferably aluminum to cut weight from the topside of the rig. (This will be hell I'm sure)

4) I want front steering to start. Possibly 4ws to end. A winch is a must. Lights are optional, but hoped for.

This rig will be for playing on dry rocks, so no waterproofing necessary, although it won't hurt.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks, I am glad to help and flattered that my build inspired you to build one of your own. Now don't be stingy with the pictures!

I am sure you'll do great and I can't wait to see how it turns out.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So here is where it starts. One Dingo "kit" and one NB TJ acquired from eBay.

Sorry if these images are large. It appears that I cannot resize them inside the post. Anyway, more to come quickly. I promise that this will not be some "week long without a post" thread. For now, you guys can start chiming in with tips and ideas if you want. First I'm going to get this kit put together. Hope I don't screw it up...
Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Picture sizes look good on my computer
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Pics look perfect size on my PC too. Looking forward to this,I'm a re-noob (been several years out of RC until this month,never did any of my own wrenching before anyways ),as I'd like to do a project of my own as the year goes on. Favorited
The DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Holy Moo-Moo this box has alot of stuff in it! When they say build it yourself, they mean EVERYTHING! Good thing I made a nice workbench in time for this project!

Interesting enough, the kit coms with "white dot" Ripsaws R35. I thought it came with el-cheapos but I've read that these tires are pretty good.

Too bad however, becaue the Pitbulls have already been ordered alongside the axial beadlock in Satin Chrome.

So, if anyone wants a set of 5 Ripsaw R35 and 5 "kit wheels" (they r all black with no silver rim like the RTRs) PM me. I can us the money to buy a winch!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Also, if anyone is interested in a clear Dingo body, decal set, roll cage, fenders, front and rear bumpers rom this kit, PM me. They will not be used for this build.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Here is the "playground" I am building this Jeep for. My wife and I just moved to 20 minutes of Dupont Forest near Flat Rock NC. This particular spot is called Triple Falls. I look at it and see alot of RC fun in my future. My goal is to start at the bottom and find a scale route all the way to the top. For a sense of scale/size locate the guy standing just to the right of the lowest waterfall. This place is huge!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

totally gealous!!! Nice spot! I always envy the guys who have all the rocks in vegas and utah, I have a tough time finding good spots in CT. everythings either deep woods or paved.
tomvaillencourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I hear ya Tom. I started scouting around and this place just happens to be 20 minutes from me and is part of a national park (so its free and protected!) I'm hoping to get some NC folks together here. If you ever visit Asheville, PM me and I'll take you here!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation Re: Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!"

I've had some interest in kit part, so 'll put it out here for all to see:

Sorry folks. I was warned that I cannot sell items here, so please look in the For Sale section of the RCC forum for my items for sale. Thanks for understanding!

Last edited by jkabee; 01-24-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Moved for sale items to the For Sale section of the forum!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Made progress:

Axles seem nice and go together easy (unless you forget to install an internal part after they are complete and have to take it all apart again). In that case, it takes a bit longer.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

In case you guys are interested in my "pit mat", its the bottom of a plastic cake tray from the grocery store. I was throwing it away with the trash and noticed all the compartments and knew right away what I would use it for! I'm THRIFTY like that.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Shocks are awesome, although i highly recommend heating up the oil a bit before putting it in the shock. I'm doing this in the cold garage and the oil took forever to get the air bubbles out of the shocks. After axles and shocks, the rest just kinda flows smoothly.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I'm starting with a 55T motor (cheap HPI stock motor for now). Depending on speed, I may change to a 45T. I do not want alot of speed, because, IMO, it doesn't look scale to see a crawler doing 100 scale mph. I realize that the transmission/motor can't stay there due to space restraints from the TJ body, but I wanted to put it there just to get something "accomplished" for now. I'll fab a different mount for it near the front shock towers later to put it under the TJ hood.

Guess it's time to start tackling the TJ body, eh?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #17

As a newb myself with a NB body waiting for a scx chassis I suscribed. Good Luck!
y2ktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

PM sent regarding the stock tires/rims.
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Looks good (and I'm learning as you go too,thanks )
The DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DC View Post
Looks good (and I'm learning as you go too,thanks )
That's great DC. I was hoping that might happen for my fellow noobs. Actually, being is a noob is great, because our fascination and curiosity is incredible at this point. We soak it up like a sponge don't we! I hope I never get so "smart" at this that is gets dull and boring.

Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BADDMANS C1 called 50Cal """XR10 up grade""" baddman 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-27-2012 11:56 PM
"Victim" or "V2" a "Country Boy Customs" class 3 Mighty1 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 05-06-2011 10:56 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM